Diablo III Patch Restricts Access for New Players

Excludos

Sep 14, 2008
I've stood by a lot of shit you've done, blizzard. But the second you've started hurting legit costumers for what frauds are doing (Which is Ubisoft's motto, except they change "fraud" with "pirates"), you've gone too far. This is not about good business plans anymore, this is about shitting on your costumers for your own gain.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009

Nice, buy a game have a cooling off period, just in case your breaking the law or the rules criminal scum. Is offline single player is sounding a lot more appealing now blizzard?

this is the kind of thing that pushes people towards piracy, buy our game and wait three days untill you can play it, or download it illegaly and play it today. (i don't know if there's actualy a working pirate version available as of yet but im sure there would be. I dont pirate)

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
FelixG said:
Kross said:
Yeah, people are "buying" digital copies, and then spamming people in game with friend requests that have RMT websites in the comments, or spamming trade channels, or joining games and flooding chat. Then the fake or stolen credit card info gets rejected (in the 72 hours) and the account gets disabled.

As far as the launch, there were a few days when servers were down, but I noticed very little lag when the servers were up, and very few issues overall for an online game of this scale. Player's perceptions may be skewed as to the quantity and duration of outages, but as such launches go, theirs was remarkably problem free.

Except for the atrocious plot. I love campy pulp fantasy, but the plot of D3 is... ugh.
Yep cause their offices got raided in one country and are under investigation in two others because only a few people blew the problems out of proportion right?

Or is it just a case of "well I didn't have much problem so everyone else must be making mountains out of molehills."?

And great, now paying customers are being punished because Blizzard cant properly secure their systems...
Crowds are known for their rationality. Especially on the Internet.

Also, why bother with investigations when we know an entity is at fault by the very fact that they are being investigated? Seems a waste of time and resources.

They made an online game, it's unfortunate that so many people wanted it to be a single player offline game. Some people (quite a few) have mistakenly purchased the game misunderstanding the difference (assuming it was the same style of play as the previous Diablo games), as they don't all follow the news and pre-launch details. Other people knew the details and decided it wasn't right in their world view of what a Diablo game should be.

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
I quite like Blizzard and haven't seen anything wrong with things such as always online for a game like Diablo which is a multiplayer game at its heart; however, preventing people from having full access to a game they have bought for up to 3 days is just utterly ridiculous. Well I was never going to buy Diablo 3 anyway so I suppose my opinion is a tad pointless, but I do hope they get a good kicking for this to prevent anything along these lines being introduced in the future.

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
zidine100 said:
(i don't know if there's actualy a working pirate version available as of yet but im sure there would be. I dont pirate)
Still no working pirate edition, because you need to set up your own servers to pirate it (so much is generated server side, what comes on the disc is just a client).

Smurf McSmurfington

Jun 24, 2010
At first I assumed this was a joke of sorts.

Then I actually read the article.

It would appear this is one of the few times when the ludicrous amount of internet rage is not only warranted, but also nowhere near enough.

As mentioned before, Blizzard used to be a far superior company. Now Blizzard as we knew it no longer exists. Highly unfortunate.

Ah well, at least we still have Valve (though it's only a matter of time until Valve, one of the last non-possessed psykers out there, will succumb to the corruption of Chaos, and then we'll have to wait for other excellent game making companies to become sufficiently, but not too big while making excellent games and treating the customer base like a customer base, and not slaves - CD Projekt probably will become one of these, if they aren't already. But the more powerful a psyker becomes, the more daemons from the Warp it attracts, and sooner or later everyone will succumb, if they don't die(disband, in the context of reality) first).

This marks the start of the end for Blizzard, I would imagine. At least I bloody hope so, because this isn't the Blizzard we know from years back, this is the body of Blizzard, possessed by a daemon, and very little remains of the original - it's all mutated and broken now.

The only true solution here is an Exterminatus.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
"Why, I beat you because I care, Billy. Now bring me the two-by-four."

...Yeah, not feeling waves of angst over not having bought DIII right now.

Rob Jacobs

Jan 25, 2012
tmande2nd said:
F is for Fooking stupid
A is for asinine policy
I is for idiots in running your company
L is for Ludicrous anti consumer actions.

Put them together and you get the DIABLO 3 LAUNCH.
Crap I can accept bugs at launch, like in FONV or Skyrim.

But to this? This is just getting pathetic.
What happened to the days when you got a game for your money.

Now its like getting a limited time thing saying "You can play this game only when we say so, when we feel like it, and if we dont turn off servers because we want to cash in!"

First Bioware, now Blizzard not a good year for game companies that start with B.
Damn, you might be on to a pattern right here!

I'm watching you Bethesda! :mad:

runic knight

Mar 26, 2011
One one aspect, I kinda understand the choice. Up til they get the CC cleared, they treat the player like a beta player before. Level cap, restrictions, etc seem to be the same. It isn't too bad in that respect. Still utter crap decision to push all responsibility and penalty on the players though.

Now if they had any damn sense though, the only restriction would be to the auction houses, and let players you bought the game online play all they like without it til it was cleared.

Now I bought the game, I like the game even. The problem being is Blizzard keep adding new and horrible layers of shit to swim through in order to get to it. Much like poor customer service at a restaurant that serves food you like, it doesn't make you leave right away, but eventually it will hit a point where the food is no longer good enough to put up with the crap. Blizzard seems to be spending every ounce of banked good will on the diablo debacle and I would not be surprised when Wow finishes dying and they try to release a new game, if people avoid it like the plague. I know I will not buy a new game from them ever again though, not until long after release and the full scope of the game and release is apparent. I'm stuck with the game I bought now, and while I enjoy it, I hope Blizzard understands that it cost them future sales and any good will I had towards them over warcraft 3 or diablo 2

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
Meh, 3 days isn't all that much most games I buy I don't end up playing right away. If it does actually help combat some CC fraud than I'm okay with it.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
Tanis said:
All you PC gamers mocked folks like me who said always online DRM would hurt D3.

Guess who was RIGHT.

Here's a hint:
NOT YOU.
Nah I was with you on that one. Although honestly nobody was talking about the possibility of no access to servers on day 1 of release lol.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008

Yeah, that's about what everything surrounding D3 looks to me from an outside perspective. There was maybe a small chance I'd buy the game at some point even with that always on crap, but the longer it goes the more unappealing Blizzard makes this game for me.

rembrandtqeinstein

Sep 4, 2009
I loved d2 and really wanted to get d3. But I can't support a forced online requirement for a single player game. Just like I couldn't support bnet only for multiplayer for SC2.

Fortunately there is already a sever emulator in the works, when that gets more mature I'll probably buy and maybe even run my own d3 server.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Eri said:
People will continue to bash Blizzard over forums, blogs, their own forums, any number of things. If you look at these threads on all the forums and blogs you'd think the game was a total failure and now no ones playing it and it is further dying.

For all the whining, people still gave Blizzard their money, and they voted with their wallets. You know what those votes said?

I'LL SIT HERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A MAN.

Over 7 million copies sold.

Yeah, you sure showed them.
True one one hand, yet on the other I'm not sure how far those sales figures will rise now that the early rush is over but Diablo II sold 17 million copies. I'm not sure exactly how much of that was in the initial sale drive and how much was continual sales over time, but it still sets a very high benchmark that Diablo III can fail against.

While Diablo III has already made Blizzard more money than most game developers could ever dream of, if there's one thing a typical corporation can get enough of is even more money. So I don't know but maybe a message has still been gotten across some where. I could see a Blizzard exec in some board room getting drilled because they were expecting 10 million copies sold so why did it only sell 7 million?

One can hope at least!

Lunar Templar

Sep 20, 2009
i had to read that a few times. the stupid it of it hurts, i am litterally getting a head ache now cause of it

just
what
the
fuck ....

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Top Hat said:
People are actually whining about this?
It's 3 days. 3 DAYS. THAT'S NOTHING.
Except you know, it's Summer vacation in a lot of places. It's three days you don't get to enjoy the game you legally purchased for the EXPRESS PURPOSE OF PLAYING AND ENJOYING.

If they pulled this with a console game, the returns would literally FLY back onto the shelves. People would DEMAND their money back. As this has happened with the PC gamers, they are apparently content with getting anally violated with a cactus over this malarkey.

I am so glad I have no plans to every buy this game until they inevitably HAVE to release a patch that let's you play it offline since they will undoubtedly have the servers shut down in a good time. Or they screw over their last remaining customer base by then and don't.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
otakon17 said:
since they will undoubtedly have the servers shut down in a good time. Or they screw over their last remaining customer base by then and don't.
Diablo II still has its servers running after 12 years, and Blizzard has far fewer reasons to keep them running.