Diablo III Patch Restricts Access for New Players

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
Aeshi said:
otakon17 said:
since they will undoubtedly have the servers shut down in a good time. Or they screw over their last remaining customer base by then and don't.
Diablo II still has its servers running after 12 years, and Blizzard has far fewer reasons to keep them running.
Yet you don't NEED those servers if you want to play the game by yourself at any time.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
Hammeroj said:
RandV80 said:
True one one hand, yet on the other I'm not sure how far those sales figures will rise now that the early rush is over but Diablo II sold 17 million copies. I'm not sure exactly how much of that was in the initial sale drive and how much was continual sales over time, but it still sets a very high benchmark that Diablo III can fail against.

While Diablo III has already made Blizzard more money than most game developers could ever dream of, if there's one thing a typical corporation can get enough of is even more money. So I don't know but maybe a message has still been gotten across some where. I could see a Blizzard exec in some board room getting drilled because they were expecting 10 million copies sold so why did it only sell 7 million?

One can hope at least!
Diablo 2 sold 4 million. The figure you're talking about, 17 million, is the amount of games the whole franchise has sold (up to D3).

I like bashing Blizzard as much as the next guy (and they deserve it, oh boy do they), but if you think your number sounds a little ludicrous, look it up.

And yeah, D3 sold 7 million, big fucking whoop. Three words - Brand recognition, marketing.
Alright thanks for the correction... though I'm checking the source I took from a quick google search and it is saying Diablo II, not the Diablo series. Outside of Warcraft 2 though I've never been a huge Blizzard fan so wouldn't really know.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I like how most of the people who are complaining about this are the ones that were supporting South Korea's removal of the RMAH.

I guess forcibly removing an advertised feature of the game that people paid 60$ for without their consent doesn't seem so ok when the feature in question is one YOU intend to use. Seems like somewhere down the line 'Gamer Rights' became 'Gamer Rights (unless said gamer has it better than we do/doesn't act how we want them to in which case f*ck 'em)'

Eldrig

Apr 25, 2011
tmande2nd said:
First Bioware, now Blizzard not a good year for game companies that start with B.
Oh good god, RUN BETHESDA!
back to the main topic though, Diablo 3 still sold remarkably well and Blizzard could likely care less how many people they piss off at this point while they relax around the money pool they have filled to near bursting levels.

Grunt_Man11

Mar 15, 2011
What's next Blizzard? Forcing people to stand before a Tribunal, and prove they are a legit customer and not pirate/gold farmer/thief/cheater after they buy one of your games?

The saddest part is that even if Blizzard does the absurdly horrid thing stated above, the fanboys would still defend them like the obedient drones they are.

`

Every time I hear someone go on about how "exciting" and "bright" the future of gaming is going to be, nonsense like this happens and I just reply, "I don't see the excitement. I don't see the brightness. I just don't."

`

If I had more worthwhile connections, and were better at managing my time and money, I would seriously think about forming an advocacy group to put an end to stupid business practices by game publishers and developers that get in they way of playing games.

Call it something like, "Leave Me Alone, and Let Me Play!"
With a motto of, "Pop, Click, Play."

You know bring back the idea that games are meant to be played more than anything else. All that other crap like trying to emulate Facebook, trying to be some kind money making opportunity, and even trying to be the next big "eSport" should at most be secondary and expendable.

After all, play should come first!

(Before someone says, "why don't you just do it," let's face facts. I'm just some schmuck on a forum. This would need to be someone with more sway and influence.)

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
I'll blame Blizzard for the general incompetence, but I'm not going to blame them for the terrible people who would have shown up regardless of anything else, just because the game is so widely popular that there was pretty much nothing that would have stopped them from trying anyway. Continuing to focus on this misdirected argument just means being stuck at square one, without any further discussion or thought. :p

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Don't worry guys! He added a smiley face! Everything is going to be ok!

Really now has the big B become so focused on stopping piracy and shit *coughnotgonnahappen*cough* that they're making people wait to play a highly anticipated game for a bullshit reason?

Have they ever bought a video game in their lives? You want to play dat shit as soon as you're in the house and them going "shhhhhhhh, shut the fuck up for a second let me perform a three day check before you can play past the first hour" is just going to get you universal distain.

Never played it but Act 1 Lvl 13 sounds like it takes about an hour to reach for anyone who plays games regularly.

Y'know i've never been into Blizzard games before. Now I have an active reason to never get into Blizzard games ever. Can you call it a boycott if you never intended to, or had any interest in the product beforehand? No? Ah well...

Tradjus

Apr 25, 2011
Wow.
So, on top of the fact that Blizzard has hard a hard time even maintaining the ability to have people playing the games on it's servers, something which it can kind of, sort of defend by bringing up technical limitations..
It's now going to straight up tell people "We know you bought the game, but because of criminals, you don't get to play most of it for three days! :D"
In the words of a famous lyricist, "I predict a riot."

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Wow, the always online requirement really is a punishment for people who gave Blizzard money. Ok Blizzard, I won't do that anymore.

Is it even legal to sell something and then restrict it's usage for 72 hours?

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Eri said:
People will continue to bash Blizzard over forums, blogs, their own forums, any number of things. If you look at these threads on all the forums and blogs you'd think the game was a total failure and now no ones playing it and it is further dying.

For all the whining, people still gave Blizzard their money, and they voted with their wallets. You know what those votes said?

I'LL SIT HERE AND TAKE IT LIKE A MAN.

Over 7 million copies sold.

Yeah, you sure showed them.
God. Damn. It.

Oh well, I'm still not buying it.
At least I stayed strong.

linkmastr001

May 22, 2009
Diablo 3 has been really going down hill for me. First, you say this game will always be online, I thought to myself, "I may not like this idea, but it won't be too bad. I've played games like this before." Then, I finally get my game and find it to be the WORST online DRM imaginable. I used to, and still do, have the occasional SERVER LAG in SINGLE PLAYER. WHYYYY???

Next, I also discover when I get my copy of the game that the real money auction house isn't working and won't be released for over a month. Why are you selling me an incomplete game? this is unacceptable? On the back of your box it says I can use the real money auction house! Where is it??? On a related note, not one week into the game, you then disable ~80% of the regular auction house due to "issues" and don't fix them until the release of the real money auction house. What the heck?

Then, 1.0.3 comes along, and ticks me off. I bought this game because I liked to explore every nook and cranny for items, then you go and remove that feature. Why?? To stop bots from gold farmings?? I THOUGHT THAT WAS WHAT YOUR DRM IS FOR!! This would also be okay if normal people did it, wouldn't it? Ban the bots, don't ruin my fun.

Now, I see this and I really think 1.0.3 is the worst patch I have ever seen. Now I find out Blizzard thinks everyone who purchases a digital copy of Diablo 3 is a crook? What the heck? credit card fraud is an issue of credit card companies, not you! If it does trickle back to you, BAN THE PLAYER!

Blizzard. Grow up. I understand there are issues like this with games, but when you keep accusing everyone for the actions of the few, you will get bad rep. If anyone knows of a way to get a refund, I'd love to know.

Podunk

Dec 18, 2008
Can't wait for patch 1.0.5

-No account may access any server, for any reason, ever.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
<headesks and fist-pounds until all my extremities - ALL OF THEM - resemble shredded cabbage>

You know what? I'm gonna go buy something from CD Projekt. You should do the same.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
zehydra said:
Tanis said:
All you PC gamers mocked folks like me who said always online DRM would hurt D3.

Guess who was RIGHT.

Here's a hint:
NOT YOU.
Nah I was with you on that one. Although honestly nobody was talking about the possibility of no access to servers on day 1 of release lol.
Of course not. I mean, come ON. They prepare for that kind of thing. The idea of non-accessible servers on day one is in the realm of optimistic indies and fever dreams. Their existence in the AAA industry is nothing but a thought experiment. A STUPID thought experiment.

Right?

Right?

Right?!

Maniclings

Jan 14, 2010
linkmastr001 said:
Blizzard. Grow up. I understand there are issues like this with games, but when you keep accusing everyone for the actions of the few, you will get bad rep. If anyone knows of a way to get a refund, I'd love to know.
You can get a refund within 30 days of buying the game. It is an easier more simple process if you bought a digital copy, if you bought a physical copy you have to send it to them. If you really wanna know about the whole process you should just ask their customer support.