Diablo III vs Path of Excel

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Diablo III vs Path of Excel

I maintain "Path of Excel" is a good joke. Screw you guys.

Read Full Article

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I'd rather have "4 different ways of punching people" than "20-copy pastes of "+10 to [STAT]" that exist solely to pad out the skill tree."

Mezahmay

Dec 11, 2013
I find that's the beauty of the PoE's skill tree though. Your unique skills come from gems, the skill tree is basically a linear progression to your stats to highly specialize your weapons and/or spells.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
Personally, I prefer D3's system to PoE's. In PoE, the Passive skill tree is just padding. The ability gems sound like a cool idea, until you actually see it in practice - You need to get the Gems, and then the Support Gems, and you need to level them, and you need to find gear with the exact socket setup to use your gems. It ends up being so convoluted and annoying that it sucks out any fun from it.

On the other hand, D3's rune system is great. New runes unlock regularly, provide a wide variety of effects, sometimes pretty much turning the skill into something different. You are free to experiment with various setups and find cool combos waaaaay more than in PoE, where you are locked into your choices on the passive tree, while new Gem setups often represent a large resource investment to acquire, as well as an even larger time investment to level them up to useful levels.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
I felt this way playing EVE Online. I was going around shooting people with lasers, and people were confused that I didn't spend the majority of my time running a random item production facility.

jehk

Mar 5, 2012
I can understand the criticism of skill tree padding in PoE. It could certainly be condensed. However, the skill tree has many little deviations the player can choose to take as they level. It's a lot more interesting and varied then what I last saw from Diablo 2.

zinho73

Feb 3, 2011
Jandau said:
Personally, I prefer D3's system to PoE's. In PoE, the Passive skill tree is just padding. The ability gems sound like a cool idea, until you actually see it in practice - You need to get the Gems, and then the Support Gems, and you need to level them, and you need to find gear with the exact socket setup to use your gems. It ends up being so convoluted and annoying that it sucks out any fun from it.

On the other hand, D3's rune system is great. New runes unlock regularly, provide a wide variety of effects, sometimes pretty much turning the skill into something different. You are free to experiment with various setups and find cool combos waaaaay more than in PoE, where you are locked into your choices on the passive tree, while new Gem setups often represent a large resource investment to acquire, as well as an even larger time investment to level them up to useful levels.
I get what you are saying, but in my opinion, receiving everything on a platter without having to think about it made the game a reasonably good clickfest, but a much less involving game.

Diablo 3 is on autopilot, which kills the RPG part of the game. Also, at launch, itemization was amateurish to say the least.

I think it is a fluid game, with great animations that carry out the action part, but a poor effort in every other aspect. I agree it is much better now, but if Path of Exile had half the budget Blizzard has... Oh, well, one can dream.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
At least POE doesn't charge you for it's garbage.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Jandau said:

you are free to experiment but there's usually only one or 2 builds that ever really work. The only really customization comes from your items (witch aren't as unique as in D2). At least path of exile has a lot of customization (even if its fucking complicated).

To be fair though both games are fairly gear dependent. right now i'm playing both of them on and off. But i'm looking forward to grim dawn since it looks like it will be more skill based instead of gear based.

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Heh, too bad Blizzard hasn't even been able to fix volume sliders in sound options. Think you can lower annoying repetitive battle sounds and turn up voice volume? FUCK YOU, THINK AGAIN. It's been 2 FUCKING YEARS since release, and those sliders still don't work properly. We are Blizzard, we don't give a fuck.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Blizzard has pretty much cornered the market in their respective niches. The have WoW, they have Starcraft, and they have Diablo. I just find Diablo boring. I also find it ridiculous that the game released in 2012, sold gangbusters, and only now a patch has "fixed" it. I get why people like it, the crusader class looks fun. I just enjoy path of excel more. And yeah, I do think that was a good joke. I knew immediately what he was talking about and laughed quite a bit.

I liken it to the three types of Magic the Gathering players, Timmy, Johnny, and Spike.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr11b

I'm Johnny. Building a character and going through those stats is enjoyable. Mapping it out and finding the right material is fun. It can even be more fun than playing the build. The more I read about stuff like this and encounter player who think in similar ways, I think it's just a right brain/left brain sort of mentality.

In Path of Exile I can create something like this, and that's all the fun I need.

http://youtu.be/KExKt5VKQx4?t=2m30s

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Scrumpmonkey said:
Personally i think people saw the Diablo name and failed to realize they were being fed a pretty bad game overall.
Eh? Diablo 3 gets and has gotten more hate than Hitler since it released.

Count Lieberkuhn

Jul 31, 2008
Ishal said:
Blizzard has pretty much cornered the market in their respective niches. The have WoW, they have Starcraft, and they have Diablo. I just find Diablo boring. I also find it ridiculous that the game released in 2012, sold gangbusters, and only now a patch has "fixed" it. I get why people like it, the crusader class looks fun. I just enjoy path of excel more. And yeah, I do think that was a good joke. I knew immediately what he was talking about and laughed quite a bit.

I liken it to the three types of Magic the Gathering players, Timmy, Johnny, and Spike.

http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtgcom/daily/mr11b

I'm Johnny. Building a character and going through those stats is enjoyable. Mapping it out and finding the right material is fun. It can even be more fun than playing the build. The more I read about stuff like this and encounter player who think in similar ways, I think it's just a right brain/left brain sort of mentality.

In Path of Exile I can create something like this, and that's all the fun I need.

http://youtu.be/KExKt5VKQx4?t=2m30s
This is a very real and fun mentality. Whenever I hear people say how only a couple of builds are viable for each character type, my first thoughts are 'I bet there's something that's even better, at least for me', and 'I refuse to copy other peoples build guides like a sheep'. The best part about these highly customizable RPGs is designing a character who is ideal for the player and their playstyle, and not just the most ideal character for a game.

Diablo 3 is cathartic, but lacking in substance. Diablo 2 on the other hand managed to hit that sweet spot, where it was simple enough to appeal to players who want to kill thousands of monsters without much thought, but had enough depth to appeal to the 'Johnny' style players in equal measure. That's probably why it has been such an enduring classic.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
Now all Grinding Gear Games needs to do is balance its Sphere Grid, cut down on its currency items by removing colored sockets (whose only actual purpose is to, indeed, pad out the currency items), fix the difficulty curve, make the soundtrack somewhat listenable, and get better writers, and Path of Exile will finally be almost worth playing!

In the meantime, I'll be playing the best version of Diablo [http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/games/d2/] and it's best clone [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/editorials/reviews/9942-Torchlight-II-Review]. Kudos to Diablo III's Loot 2.0 patch, though. Josh Mosqueira's doin' it right.

Kolyarut

Nov 19, 2012
Hawkeye21 said:
Heh, too bad Blizzard hasn't even been able to fix volume sliders in sound options. Think you can lower annoying repetitive battle sounds and turn up voice volume? FUCK YOU, THINK AGAIN. It's been 2 FUCKING YEARS since release, and those sliders still don't work properly. We are Blizzard, we don't give a fuck.
World of Warcraft hasn't figured how to separate sound effect volume from voice acting volume in ten years, so I wouldn't hold out hope for D3 any time soon.

As an ex-WoW player that particular minor irritation still sticks in my craw. Why even hire voice actors if any time anyone tries to turn up the volume loud enough to hear said voices they're deafened by a spell effect going off right in their ear?

Hawkeye21

Oct 25, 2011
Kolyarut said:
Hawkeye21 said:
World of Warcraft hasn't figured how to separate sound effect volume from voice acting volume in ten years, so I wouldn't hold out hope for D3 any time soon.
Well, I never played WoW for more than an hour, so I wouldn't know. But what really grinds my gears is that THERE ARE SEPARATE SLIDERS for voice and sound, and yet they simply don't work >_<

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
Path of Exile is still a better Diablo game than Diablo 3 ever was. Not that that's saying much.

I wish Torchlight 3 would come out already.