Diablo III vs Path of Excel

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
While D3 is fun, I'm gonna have to state for the record that they are also guilty of padding, but unlike Path of Exile, the padding isn't really significant unless you want to be less effective as a player, instead of providing actual options that might be interesting.

The one thing I DO find that D3 does for my satisfaction is actually let you change your allocations, unlike Path of Exile, which insists on making choices almost permanent, since it relies on people doing multiple runs to keep the game going. Ironically, D3 doesn't actually gain much from this kind of flexibility due to making the choices simple and streamlined, while Path of Exile would actually benefit the most from allowing complete reallocation.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
weirdee said:
While D3 is fun, I'm gonna have to state for the record that they are also guilty of padding, but unlike Path of Exile, the padding isn't really significant unless you want to be less effective as a player, instead of providing actual options that might be interesting.

The one thing I DO find that D3 does for my satisfaction is actually let you change your allocations, unlike Path of Exile, which insists on making choices almost permanent, since it relies on people doing multiple runs to keep the game going. Ironically, D3 doesn't actually gain much from this kind of flexibility due to making the choices simple and streamlined, while Path of Exile would actually benefit the most from allowing complete reallocation.
they should have a thing like in D2 where if you preformed certain tasks you could get a respec thing. and that could be gotten 3 times(one for each difficulty)

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
CriticKitten said:
schmulki said:
I'll never understand the argument people make that the passive web in PoE is "padded out." Unless you want to go all D3 on the game and more or less eliminate any choice in what skills you're raising, those "padded out" +10 nodes are a perfect way to let any class spec in any direction, given the right path/spec through the tree. It really all makes sense when you think about what it actually does.
That's the problem.

People call it "padded" because they don't WANT to think and plan.

Naturally I expect that people will counter this by responding that I'm just an ivory tower hardcore player looking down on the common peasantry of casual gamers for this, but seriously, the only "problem" with PoE's skill system is it offers so many choices that most folks lock down at all the choices and simply can't function without being told what to do. There's an increasing number of RPG players who don't even really care about "building a character" any more, they just want the build that kills shit the fastest so they can get the loot. Hell, look at MMORPGs lately that attempted to design their games somewhat freeform, and look at all the stuff they had to tack onto the game later on in order to provide hand-holding for people who didn't want to navigate through all the options to think up a unique build, or make any sort of choices at all.

In that respect, PoE plays primarily to an older, more hardcore audience that enjoys the concept of building a character and really making it their own. Diablo 3 is stream-lined for people who don't want that sort of extensive thought process....which is fine, to each their own, but it leads to a decent degree of cookie-cutter builds rather than any sort of variety. So I guess as long as you don't mind being exactly like a lot of your fellow class members, then it doesn't bother you.
I don't think I understand the cooker cutter build thing for D3. I almost exclusively play on T3 so its not the tippy top of the progression, but the build variety I see is enormous. Melee Wizards, FO Wizards, Archon Wizards, RoF Wizards, Sleet Storm Wizards, those weird party buff wizards, that hilarious teleport spamming wizard, not to mention the minor variations in each of those builds. They're all viable and they all do their part, and thats just the Wizards. The combinations of other classes I see with so much variety in their builds, whether they're completely different or just a couple different abilities, is astounding.

Yet all day every day all I hear from people who don't play D3 is how they don't like all the cookie cutter builds when the evidence clearly contradicts that statement, especially since the 2.0 patch buffed all (well, almost all...I still can't use Hex: Angry Chicken effectively which is a gigantic sad) of the not so great abilities.

Then I look over at the thing that supposedly gives all this customization and all this huge build diversity and I just get confused because its basically D2s old system with a more confusing skill system tacked on and worse balancing. How exactly does a system like that actually promote build diversity outside of people bein forced to go with whatever they happen to have?

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
The fact that D3 is being compared to a tiny (4-5 people) kickstarter project, free2play game is the biggest indicator of how much of an abject failure D3 is. Given all the development time, budget and staff working on it, there is no excuse for some tiny indie developer to be even rating a comparison in the first place, let alone looking like a potential superior product. Yet here we are. Either Grinding Gear Games has some of the most talented developers on the planet, or Blizzard is just a sad shadow of what it once was and should do the honorable thing and get out of the PC gaming market where they clearly no longer have a deserving place. I say this as someone who bought their first computer so I could play D2.

Augustine

Jun 21, 2012
With the advent of RoS I found myself enjoying D3 very much.

Is it fun for everyone? Probably not. But I found a form of joy in this game I had shelved for some time now...

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Aramis Night said:
The fact that D3 is being compared to a tiny (4-5 people) kickstarter project, free2play game is the biggest indicator of how much of an abject failure D3 is. Given all the development time, budget and staff working on it, there is no excuse for some tiny indie developer to be even rating a comparison in the first place, let alone looking like a potential superior product. Yet here we are. Either Grinding Gear Games has some of the most talented developers on the planet, or Blizzard is just a sad shadow of what it once was and should do the honorable thing and get out of the PC gaming market where they clearly no longer have a deserving place. I say this as someone who bought their first computer so I could play D2.
I don't remember it ever being on kickstarter. i mean they had things like supporter packs so i guess theirs that. i think Crowd funded is the word you're looking for.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Jesus Christ, there's so much fanboyism flying around in here, I don't know which strawman argument to discredit first. Because I guess heaven forbid that opinions are a thing and we just acknowledge that there are people who prefer things in either title.

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
weirdo8977 said:
weirdee said:

they should have a thing like in D2 where if you preformed certain tasks you could get a respec thing. and that could be gotten 3 times(one for each difficulty)
That only made D2 far less interesting, actually. All off those skills, and everyone just went with that one spec. Frozen orb sorcs with one point in teleport. All of the best specs literally had 2 spells to cast. Maybe three if they branched out. The only times you had more than that, is if a spell had some significant use with a 1 point investment.

This 'freedom of choice' was trash, and limited respeccing only made the min-maxing worse.

Aramis Night

Mar 31, 2013
weirdo8977 said:
Aramis Night said:
I don't remember it ever being on kickstarter. i mean they had things like supporter packs so i guess theirs that. i think Crowd funded is the word you're looking for.
It was on kickstarter. I was a supporter. Same with the upcoming Grim Dawn which is being made by former developers that worked on the excellent ARPG: Titan Quest. I'm a big fan of ARPG's. But Diablo 3 was my biggest disappointment.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
If Path of Exile's final boss' difficulty wasn't so brutal I would still be playing it.
Difficulty isn't a bad thing if it's justified, however:

Path of Exile's last "respawn point" is three or 4 floors below the final boss.
Path of Exiles enjoys repopulating an area's monsters if you don't revisit the area again for 15mins. Basically, die on boss, fight through three or four floors of enemies again.
Solution around this problem is by exploiting Teleport Scrolls to create a Portal to the town before you die. Thus making the final encounter more about having enough TP scrolls so you can TP back into the fight. NOT FUN GAMEPLAY.

The rest of the game is fine. It's just for some reason the last boss fight is horrible and ruins the game.

Another problem is that the Path of Exile's talent web is very complex. This is good actually. However, it does mean that for the final boss you seem to need the perfect build.

I have happily quit that game. I will let people enjoy its design flaws, since some of them are "traditional" and therefore "sought after".

flamedance58

May 2, 2008
I still like Diablo 3.
It's a simple hack n' slash in a way.
I just sit back and make stuff get gibbed,etc.

I prefer just playing and kill shit and less worrying whether that one point I put fucked up my build and now I'll have to remake in a day or two.
You reach end game really quick too, I'd say you get hit endgame quicker than Diablo 3 depending on how much you play a day but being a person who's played through back games I'd say that PoE has a little less content imo.

The comic I found a little too jokey...you say it knocks D3 down a few notches by what? Making up shit for POE and then saying "Haha! I have all this nonexistant stuff and Diablo 3 has 4 ways to punch!"....Wut? That's like saying that "I can poo rainbow shit that smells like paradise and your dog is white so deal with it!"

Anyways, both games have good and bad to them but in the end I stick with D3 because it has better longevity for me, also what stops Blizzard from buying up PoE? Can't happen the other way around now can it?

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
scw55 said:
If Path of Exile's final boss' difficulty wasn't so brutal I would still be playing it.

Path of Exiles enjoys repopulating an area's monsters if you don't revisit the area again for 15mins. Basically, die on boss, fight through three or four floors of enemies again.
Solution around this problem is by exploiting Teleport Scrolls to create a Portal to the town before you die. Thus making the final encounter more about having enough TP scrolls so you can TP back into the fight. NOT FUN GAMEPLAY.

The rest of the game is fine. It's just for some reason the last boss fight is horrible and ruins the game.

Another problem is that the Path of Exile's talent web is very complex. This is good actually. However, it does mean that for the final boss you seem to need the perfect build.

I have happily quit that game. I will let people enjoy its design flaws, since some of them are "traditional" and therefore "sought after".
Well he's not that hard. And they introduced a checkpoint system. So now you will respawn on the same map/level as the final boss. Also you can use teleport scrolls to drastically shorten the travel time. If you need help message here and we can arrange something.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
flamedance58 said:
also what stops Blizzard from buying up PoE? Can't happen the other way around now can it?
What does that have to do with anything?

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
Denamic said:
weirdo8977 said:
weirdee said:

That only made D2 far less interesting, actually. All off those skills, and everyone just went with that one spec. Frozen orb sorcs with one point in teleport. All of the best specs literally had 2 spells to cast. Maybe three if they branched out. The only times you had more than that, is if a spell had some significant use with a 1 point investment.

This 'freedom of choice' was trash, and limited respeccing only made the min-maxing worse.
Thats the main problem with the genera in general. Always with the min/maxing. I feel like you always end up only using a select few skills.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
weirdo8977 said:
scw55 said:

Well he's not that hard. And they introduced a checkpoint system. So now you will respawn on the same map/level as the final boss. Also you can use teleport scrolls to drastically shorten the travel time. If you need help message here and we can arrange something.
I'm glad they addressed some of the problems.

My issue with the boss was how difficult it was in comparison to the game as a whole. It felt like I was being punished because my build wasn't perfect.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:
scw55 said:

My issue with the boss was how difficult it

what did you find difficult during that fight? for me it was his second form. When he casts that blood rain shit. I didn't know that if you stand near/next to him you don't tack damage from it.

scw55

Nov 18, 2009
weirdo8977 said:
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:
scw55 said:

what did you find difficult during that fight? for me it was his second form. When he casts that blood rain shit. I didn't know that if you stand near/next to him you don't tack damage from it.
The adds really. And just the fact the game didn't let me learn what the hell was going on. The set up of the final boss made it a stressful situation, which meant I wasn't able to play to the fullest of potential. There was the pressure of if I ran out of scrolls, I had to clear the floors back to the boss again.

I don't mind the final boss being hard, as long as the difficulty increase was gradual. The whole game is easy, except for the last boss. Which is unfair.
I don't mind perhaps not being ready for a boss (it's annoying and not always good game design, but in rpgs you can grind up to be stronger). However the circumstance at the time of doing the boss meant it wasn't realistic to go away and grind up (because then I'd have to fight through four floors of dull trash again).

Really, the nail in the coffin was the fact the game disconnected me after killing the boss. I know PoE is made by an indie studio, but if you have an always-online game, at least have the infrasture to reduce the random DCs. I should only DC if I have problems on my end or sever technical difficulties. Not just because the servers decide I should. To be fair, with Blizzard and Diablo, if you DC, it leaves a courtesy portal back to the area you were just in. And the only times there's server issues is at launches or when there's DDOS attacks (and the vulture appear and QQ about DRM - it's only a problem because of the DDOS attacks, not because of the online thing).

PoE just left me feeling embittered and annoyed when I "completed" it.

Bombiz

Apr 12, 2010
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:
scw55 said:
weirdo8977 said:
scw55 said:

The adds really. And just the fact the game didn't let me learn what the hell was going on. The set up of the final boss made it a stressful situation, which meant I wasn't able to play to the fullest of potential. There was the pressure of if I ran out of scrolls, I had to clear the floors back to the boss again.

I don't mind the final boss being hard, as long as the difficulty increase was gradual. The whole game is easy, except for the last boss. Which is unfair.
I don't mind perhaps not being ready for a boss (it's annoying and not always good game design, but in rpgs you can grind up to be stronger). However the circumstance at the time of doing the boss meant it wasn't realistic to go away and grind up (because then I'd have to fight through four floors of dull trash again).

Really, the nail in the coffin was the fact the game disconnected me after killing the boss. I know PoE is made by an indie studio, but if you have an always-online game, at least have the infrasture to reduce the random DCs. I should only DC if I have problems on my end or sever technical difficulties. Not just because the servers decide I should. To be fair, with Blizzard and Diablo, if you DC, it leaves a courtesy portal back to the area you were just in. And the only times there's server issues is at launches or when there's DDOS attacks (and the vulture appear and QQ about DRM - it's only a problem because of the DDOS attacks, not because of the online thing).

PoE just left me feeling embittered and annoyed when I "completed" it.
The thing i learned in PoE (and in this genera in general) is to skip most areas that aren't important for farming or leveling. So when I got to the area you are talking about i just decided to skip most of the mobs there since i was already a high enough level.
As for the final boss what i like to do is run around and avoid his attacks for a while trying to see what kind of attacks he does so that I know when to hit him. though i do admit that in his second form the adds he spawns are annoying as fuck.