Dick Souls

Mike Fang

Mar 20, 2008
"Ladies and Gentlemen, you're both being ridiculous. We both know that the only way to prove you're hardcore is to take the butter knife challenge and not even level up." - Christian Neihart

Is that where you play the game with a butter knife lodged in each thigh? Personally I was just waiting for one of them to say "Git gud."

IamLEAM1983

Neloth's got swag.
Aug 22, 2011
What? Are you casuals playing Dark Souls with actual hardware? I'm using the Nothing build - the hardest run-through imaginable since Day One! No decent PC, no console, no time - just my imagination, you scrubs; and I haven't died once. ONCE. My pretend-Unkindled is buff-naked and punches everything, but he's one-shotted Iudex Gundyr BECAUSE I SAY HE HAS.

Get on my level!

DementedSheep

Jan 8, 2010
Has someone been to gameFAQ forums? I swear this is every second thread, along with with crying that invasions are now stacked against the invader rather than the other way around.

Xerosch

Apr 19, 2008
Well, in a few hours I'll be done with 'Dark Souls 2' and I've realized after beating 'Demon's' and 'Bloodborne', that I have a way of playing that's pretty noobish:

1. In all three games I end up with a looong life and stamina bar
2. I don't learn the animation patterns of the bosses, but just stand behind them/slash at their feet
3. I upgrade the weapon I'm comfortable with to the max and don't trade in boss' souls for advanced weapons

But you know why this doesn't matter to me? Because I'm enjoying myself. And isn't that the point? I'd rather gush with other players over how difficult a particular fight was then talk down on them.

That being said I should probably get my character out of Blightown. That was the point where I needed a little time off from DS1...

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Dango said:
I'm a pretty diehard Dark Souls fan, and the idea that people think the only thing that makes it special is that it's hard is the worst. I would say it's best to go into it with not a lot of information and such because a lot of the game is about a sense of exploration, but I think caring about your reputation as a player is fucking stupid.
The difficulty is my least favorite aspect of the games. Oh, I enjoy it, no doubt, but it takes a back seat to the lore, characters, and world. I sometimes wonder if the Soul's games reputation for "difficulty" isn't somewhat detrimental.

karkashan

Corrin Married Xander
May 4, 2009
DementedSheep said:
Has someone been to gameFAQ forums? I swear this is every second thread, along with with crying that invasions are now stacked against the invader rather than the other way around.
As someone who helped co-op in Farron Woods recently, I would emphatically deny that assertion. Then again, it's gamefaqs, where the guides are halfway decent and 90% of the userbase makes one despair about humanity.

praisegrima

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
personally i think i'll stick with the foolproof playstyle i came up with based on the movie Wargames. not playing at all.

Fractral

Tentacle God
Feb 28, 2012
After dying about 20 times to the Abyss Watchers I too summoned help. But I don't count it since the summon died in the second stage of the fight. NPC summons also don't count, right?

But yeah, this is why I don't do PVP in any souls game ever. I was invaded a few times while playing through but each time I just went and jumped off an edge or let a mob kill me. Sorry bro- my game, my rules. Go invade someone who wants to play with you.

CrimsonBlack

Mar 10, 2011
Fractral said:
After dying about 20 times to the Abyss Watchers I too summoned help. But I don't count it since the summon died in the second stage of the fight. NPC summons also don't count, right?

But yeah, this is why I don't do PVP in any souls game ever. I was invaded a few times while playing through but each time I just went and jumped off an edge or let a mob kill me. Sorry bro- my game, my rules. Go invade someone who wants to play with you.
That's part of Dark Souls I guess, you're free to jump off a cliff if you get invaded.

Also, fucking Abyss Watchers. I ended up upgrading a crossbow and simply pew-pewing the second fire-y stage of that particular boss. I should have known when I beat the first stage of the boss after 4-5 goes and thought "ah, that was relatively simple. Oooh, a cutscene, I'll put down my controller and have a drink. Ah. Oh no, FUCK FUCKETY FU---- he's on fire!"

WhiteFangofWhoa

Jan 11, 2008
Welp, time to break out the Power Glove...

Haven't played, but I wish it would include a literally impossible boss just to troll players with this attitude. That is, a boss that appears to be beatable, just extremely difficult, but once it's down to the last 1/3 of its health it will hit you with a lag spike and then YOU DIED.

Then they can go online to ask for help and get some of their own medicine from people who lie about beating it.

Silence

Living undeath to the fullest
Legacy
Sep 21, 2014
Country
Germany
So funfact: I never encountered Souls Fans like that, aside from the ones who do it ironically, but then help regardless.

-Ezio-

Eats Nuts, Kicks Butts.
Nov 17, 2009
Devieus said:
Wanna play something really hard? Go outside.
tried that once. people looked at me funny when i was killing small creatures for experience. 2/10

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
Wait, so you're all telling me you didn't hire out 100 acres of land and a small village in the back waters of the English countryside, burn it and it's occupants to ashes and then bind the tormented, wailing souls of the locals to their now horribly disfigured but immortal bodies so you could play for realz?

Do you even Git Gud!?

Souplex

Souplex Killsplosion Awesomegasm
Jul 29, 2008
Souls fans are interesting in that the horrible ones only exist on the internet. If you meet a souls fan in meatspace they're really pleasant, and want to talk about the lore, art direction, and what a hard time they had on that one section.
The internet is an interesting place overall, it's the only place where you can find PC gamers, it actually thinks Innistrad was a good magic set, and it's where all the fandoms are worse, but it is devoid of Trump supporters.

SecondPrize

Mar 12, 2012
There's no need to be a dick about it but what I like most about the Souls games is the non-traditional difficulty slider you set in the choices you make to level, enhance equipment, wear stuff or to not do these things. Leveling as much as you can and enhancing as far as you can go IS playing souls on easy and there's not a damn thing wrong with that.