Did Twilight really suck that much?

sky14kemea

Deus Ex-Mod
Jun 26, 2008
Okay guys, share your OPINIONS as fairly as possible. If I see any more reports from this thread I'm probably going to lock it.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
I got three pages through the first book before I put it bak on the shelf. It wasn't overly bad, it was just far too tween focused....which can fuck right off. As for the movies.....I watched the first forty minutes of the first one before I knew it was a book. The characters were ridiculous, plot shaky, etc. But what really boils my blood over the Twilight series is the sparkly bit. In direct sunlight. Yes, let's take away the most known thing about vampires, second the thing about them drinking blood. And now let's bastardise vampires even more by having them all closet homos.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Admittedly I've only seen like 2 mins of the movie but it was so bad I walked out them room after just that.

It was a scene where the female character walks home at night and 4 guys appear going "hey baby, you bouts to get raped" for no reason. Then Edward just appearing in a car from nowhere magically knowing where she is, giving them the most unthreatening stare in the world that for some reason makes them go "ahh I'm stumbling over". Then drives off with the dumb woman saying he's tempted to go back and rip their heads off because they were thinking about having sex with her...What?

Oh and the whole time nobodys face shows any shred of emotion - no fear from stupid woman and no anger from mr wanna be boss

And having been told what happens in the book from my sister, it's just a book where the author has thrown a bunch of crap together and hoped something came from it.

I remember in school one of my friends was like "he's so romantic he doesn't want to have sex with her cause he's too powerful and would hurt/kill her" - I laughed so hard at that (got slapped for it). And then two or so books later lo behold she's been knocked up by him...huh going against your word here aren't we?

kickassfrog

Jan 17, 2011
Generic Gamer said:
kickassfrog said:
I hate it because of what it did to vampires. They used to be cool, powerful beings that could only survive at night.
Now they're just angsty permateens who sparkle in daylight. They're closer to Peter Pan than to Bram Stoker's Dracula.

I'm not saying they all have to obey the Bram Stoker formula, but being killed by daylight is kinda vampires thing. That's what makes it fair for them to have all their powers and be immortal, never seeing a sunrise again.
Except that in Bram Stoker's book Dracula isn't killed by sunlight, he merely loses a few of his more esoteric powers. In the book he's killed by a knife through the heart which causes him to crumble to dust.

The 'vampire rules' aren't as old as people think, funnily enough the Twilight books hold truer to the older vampire stories than Dracula et al do.

OT:It's a romantic/softcore erotic novel for teenage girls! You read an erotic novel for teenage girls. It is not a fucking Preacher issue, it's an erotic novel for girls. Now in that definition it does perfectly well. I'm warning you all, don't go around saying that Twilight is the worst story ever or that it's media compels people to do things. Both of those accusations are more commonly aimed at gaming.

Nerds: Not everything is made for you.
Oh dear god. By condemning twilight as garbage that makes people into absolute 'tards, we are becoming the very same people as the mainstream media who condemn us as future violent murderers by virtue of the fact that we occasionally play on GTA.

P.S. I was actually not being sarcastic.

P.P.S. I still think it sucks.

P.P.P.S. Also, if you check out yahoo answers, there's always a few questions from teenage girls who want to become vampires these days. That's both incredibly screwed up and incredibly stupid.

Also, what about all the other vampire powers/weaknesses they don't have.
Disobeying gravity, shapeshifting, weakness to garlic and silver, the ability to control weather, the not crossing running water thing, and having to be near transylvanian soil to rest (may be all vampires, or possibly just the ones of transylvanian origin)- it completely blanks all the weaknesses and just makes them sparkly mary sues.

Jake Lewis Clayton

Apr 22, 2010
Read the first book.

Compared to the writing styles of John steinbeck, Vladimir nabokov, stephen fry and even J.K Rowling hers' is terrible.

I've never been a fan of book burning as someone very far on the left, but by god I wish that series did not exist.

platinawolf

Oct 27, 2009
As a book? No. There are much worse things to deal with than twilight and the story isn't bad.
As a movie? Yes. Acting is horrible ^^*

varulfic

Jul 12, 2008
I like so-bad-it's-good movies, and I always have an entertaining time watching Twilight with friends, making fun of the wooden acting, awful characters and stupid, plot-hole ridden story. But the fact that there are people out there who genuinely think this is a good series boggles my mind... that's like thinking Birdemic has good special effects. The hype is justified in this case, because Twilight is unabashedly awful. Poorly thought-out, horribly paced movies with psychopathic characters presented as normal teenagers you're supposed to identify with. The sparkly vampires is just icing on the shit sundae, not even close to the worst things about this series.

mrmooninnod

Aug 22, 2011
so somebody else figure that out thank you the main reason i hate it is between nerd rage and the absolute bland story

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I really can't stand Twilight. Well, at least the book... the movie was actually pretty decent and had nice cinematography. But the book was sexist , shallow, boring and had a completely unlikeable protagonist and a love interest who's just as unlikeable. I didn't read or watch any of the sequels though.

Dandark

Sep 2, 2011
First of all, I have only seen the first movie, it hurt and so I didn't watch any more or read any of the books.

I have read plenty of vampire romance novels, and they are not strictly bad. I don't mind if they mess around with vampire lore because, it's their book, they tell the story how they want. However there are some things that define creatures such as vampire. Generally a vampire is a dark character, they drink blood and are surrounded by violence. They are creatures of the night and do not go out in the daytime. They usaully are evil or are dangerous.

By removing all the defining features except one, you stop them being vampires. Then there is the fact they sparkle. I said that they are usually dark charcters, sparkling kind of destroy's that image.

Vampire fans hate this series because it's become mainstream and is completely the opposite of what vampires are usaully like. Many people now think that Twilight is an accurate picture of what vampires are like. it really irked me that people call it a vampire story when it really isn't. I wouldn't hate it if she had just decided that some people have powers rather than trying to call them vampires.

It's also a terrible story, bland characters and a painful plot make this an unlikeable film anyway. It's also highly successful which is what annoys the hell out of a lot of people.
If you see something that you think is utterly crap become highly successful then you can easily end up hating it.
Plus it has a horrible fanbase.

SoulSalmon

Sep 27, 2010
The book (the first one anyway) wasn't actually that bad, it wasn't GOOD by any stretch of the imagination... but there are FAR worse books out there.
My main issue with it is that (temporarily ofc) Vampires are pretty much ruined because a book that portrays them rather stupidly became VERY popular... >.>
It's become more and more common to see romanticized vampires (done very poorly) after the rise of Twilight and you can't pick a Vampire class on an MMO (for example) without people either thinking they can talk to you about "How great Twilight is" or hating on you for being a "sparkling fairy"...

The movie? yeah the movie sucked hugely...

Treefingers

Aug 1, 2008
Yes, yes it did. I'm sure plenty of people are just on the hate bandwagon, but it genuinely does suck. But even in a vacuum it would still be a shitty, shitty book.

RobfromtheGulag

May 18, 2010
I think Movie Bob summed it up pretty well.

-Doesn't cater to the standard demographic of young [16~34 y.o.] caucasian males. Instead it caters to [arguably younger] females.
-It isn't the sharpest knife in the aforementioned drawer, but it's one of the only big ones [budget-wise].

As regards the book:
"Tell a person that you're the Metatron and they stare at you blankly. Mention something out of a Charlton Heston movie and suddenly everybody is a theology scholar." -Alan Rickman
Point in case - 98% of the fans of Twilight would never know it existed if it weren't a film.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
I watched the first movie specifically for these types of situations. Yes, yes it did... *shudders*

Sangreal Gothcraft

Feb 28, 2011
Not going to list the reason why it sucks because people have already done so,so in short term:does it suck? Yes in Long term does it suck? Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesssssssssssss.