Did you miss BREXIT now that it is technically done ?

Silvanus

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 15, 2013
Country
United Kingdom
True, but isn't ignoring what was promised as the result of Brexit a given anyway?
Brits have already forgotten Daniel Hannan telling us that leaving the EU doesn't mean leaving the single market. And Johnson telling us a deal was already "oven ready" at the last election if we voted for the Tories. And 350 million a week for the NHS etc etc etc.

Bunch of fucking liars.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
I admit i didn't think anymore they would agree on a deal. I was wrong.

Now let's see how the deal works out.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
Well, it's certainly true that the public can blame the Brexiter politicians. It's a nice, easy way to dodge their own responsibility.

Nor do I suspect it will translate much into election votes. Brexit is a hardline Tory project, but the Tories have a teflon-like nature such that if it turns sour, they'll ditch Boris and co. and pack them off to the backbenches (and likely from there early retirement from politics to take up deliciously well-paid private sector jobs) and pretend it was just some weird aberration... but here there are, back for business again! And the public likely as not will mostly swallow it.

The Tory press will back them up. After all, if Brexit turns sour, it's their fuck-up too and they aren't going to admit they sold the public a duff policy and they certainly aren't going to back Labour. So they'll sell whatever excuses they can grasp as well.
Man, I do sometimes give thought to trying to become a backbench MP. Sure it’s boring but the perks of you stick it out are amazing.

Satinavian

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 30, 2016
Soooo transition period over for around one month.

How much did change for you ? Did you notice anything ?

I know of some people having had problems with paperwok regarding exports to NI when the software they used to fill out the documents was not ready after new year. Otherwise i have not seen much, but that might be different for those actually living in Britain.

(Also i am bored of US politics)

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Soooo transition period over for around one month.

How much did change for you ? Did you notice anything ?
Well, seeing as after all that faff the UK (unsurprisingly) ended up signing a distinctly trade-friendly deal, it's mitigated a lot of the worst fears.

The main thing in the news has been that small businesses across the UK are pissed, because the red tape is apparently... really quite bad. And there are oversights that evidently weren't considered which have mightily fucked some stuff, but not that much. The UK government has basically told a load of businesses to register as companies in the EU to escape much of it. Oh, and the fishing industry is furious, because the UK kept the status quo (at least for a few years), so they've got basically nothing for quite a while.

But all the main stuff is continuing to roll back and forth and the big companies seem broadly content (a few are even happy), so it's probably just going to be a "shave a few percent off GDP over the next few years" sort of bad.

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Apparently the EU has opened up to US clearinghouses, which is bad for the city of London. I don't really know what that means, but I'm sure some of you brainiacs do.