Diehard Webcomic Fans Invent Fake Anime

M0rp43vs

Most Refined Escapist
Jul 4, 2008
Christ, I took a break reading the comic early this year and when I checked in a month later, more than a thousand pages show up. Now the fans are faking an anime. What next? Will it be an actual anime series with full voice acting next month?
A Full length feature film by this time next year?

Also with Touhou being the crossover powerhouse that it is, I'm rather surprised that there aren't that many crossovers with Homestuck. I mean one of the characters is a literal Maid of Time, that's an easy cross right there.

Sylocat said:
If MLP:FiM doesn't make it past the dreaded 65-episode mark, the fans will make S4 themselves, mark my words.
And it'll be indistinguishable from the normal show and having managed to snag all of the original voice actors. The only difference will be background characters having more given lines. And Derpy inexplicably becoming a main character.

In fact, with how utterly insane(in a good way... most of the time) the fanbase of this trinity, I'm waiting for that legendary three-way crossover.
There'd be a good chance the universe may implode because of it

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
M0rp43vs said:
Christ, I took a break reading the comic early this year and when I checked in a month later, more than a thousand pages show up. Now the fans are faking an anime. What next? Will it be an actual anime series with full voice acting next month?
A Full length feature film by this time next year?

Also with Touhou being the crossover powerhouse that it is, I'm rather surprised that there aren't that many crossovers with Homestuck. I mean one of the characters is a literal Maid of Time, that's an easy cross right there.
Plus, Sanae is pretty much a Heir of Breath.

Pappytech

Invested all my Souls into Res
Jun 7, 2011
What I want to know is when the hell are we getting a live-action adaption of Problem Sleuth? Co-starring, of course, the Midnight Crew.

Also, this is pretty far from the first time Homestuck's been drawn in an anime/manga style.

It's still pretty damn awesome though. That goes without saying.

Yal

We are a rattlesnake
Dec 22, 2010
I completely lost the plot on Homestuck years ago, there's like thirty different "playable" characters now and I don't know who any of these people are and it's just kind of washing over me at this point, but that fandom is something else. The shear tonnage of artistic output, from some of the nicest people on the Internet, it's amazing.

Zivlok

Dec 12, 2008
Man, good to see some Homestuck on the Escapist. Soon enough it'll be changed to "FuckingEverythingYouLike.com"

And yes, more Kanaya would be good. There's this:

Complete with horrible fansub translations!

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Sylocat said:
If MLP:FiM doesn't make it past the dreaded 65-episode mark, the fans will make S4 themselves, mark my words.
It terrifies me that this is true. And the quality will barely falter.

Saw this on tumblr, did a 'oh that's cool', continued on with day.
As always I have to be 'in it' to be more impressed, but I always admire fans that go the extra distance. These are the people that if they just take one step further or just get a shot, are the creators of our entertainment in the future.

MichealRein

May 16, 2010
God why the hell is this a news story on here.

For some reason 'fake anime screenshots' are rising, but they've been around for a very, very long time. This is not newsworthy, this is the farthest thing from newsworthy.

If you wanted to do a news story, do one last October when Newgrounds was crashed because of the comic, but not because a few tumblrs wanted to make art.

Also, Hussie isn't from god damn Boston, Boston is not all of Massachusetts.

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
MichealRein said:

For some reason 'fake anime screenshots' are rising, but they've been around for a very, very long time. This is not newsworthy, this is the farthest thing from newsworthy.

If you wanted to do a news story, do one last October when Newgrounds was crashed because of the comic, but not because a few tumblrs wanted to make art.

If I had to guess it's because Friday and particularly Friday afternoon posts tend to be more "fun" stuff fr the weekend.

From what I'm seeing there's a LOT of this art recently in the past few days so maybe that's what separates it from the stuff before?

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
JerrytheBullfrog said:
MichealRein said:

If I had to guess it's because Friday and particularly Friday afternoon posts tend to be more "fun" stuff fr the weekend.

From what I'm seeing there's a LOT of this art recently in the past few days so maybe that's what separates it from the stuff before?
It's because Homestuck went on a hiatus about three days ago. Since then, literally hundreds of this style of fan art have materialized. Its the sheer volume, in that time frame, and the fact they're doing it out of plain-ol BOREDOM that make it impressive.

greysky421

Jul 7, 2012
Technically one person made a screenshot just as a fun thing and said it was from an anime as a joke. Then everyone jumped on and made it huge. Personally I think it's creative, but it's no longer funny.
Nothing was planned, this wasn't some "let's spam tumblr with this stuff" thing. People found an idea creative and amusing and wanted to participate in it.
As for it actually getting an anime. That's highly unlikely, as this is an american series, and it's more likely for it to be made into a series here than in Japan.

Azaradel

Jan 7, 2009
Why is this considered newsworthy?

It's one of the most obnoxious Tumblr bandwagons to plague the Homestuck fandom in ages.
And that's fucking saying something.

This isn't something planned, it's just the result of the Tumblr part of the Homestuck fandom bursting with people who will jump at any bandwagon they see in the hope of getting as many likes/reblogs as possible without having to do much creative thinking themselves.
"Someone came up with a popular idea? MUST COPY. MUST COPY. MUST COPY."

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
UM, HELLO, PLEASE CLICK THIS IF YOU LIKE HOMESTUCK. PAY NO REGARD TO WHO CREATED THE GROUP, OR THE FACT THAT THEY MIGHT BE TRYING TO EARN YOUR ATTENTION.

As a Homestuck fan, and pretty dedicated one: this really isn't something that I like. I would not watch it if it came out.

This is a fad. The Homestuck fandom goes through fads so often, especially with the revealing of new characters.

oppp7

Aug 29, 2009
Well, Hussie did say he would get into a different medium after Homestuck [http://mspandrew.tumblr.com/post/25156009290/reddit-or-not-here-we-dumb], so maybe a cartoon version could be made eventually.

As for this, kinda just looks like a bunch of random fanart based around the webcomic, but I could see an amateur fanime (is that a word?) being made.

ArcNitemare

Apr 30, 2008
I am sad that I was not made aware of this sooner.I must rectify this and watch it(Even if it is fake)!Followed by ritual seppuku(Not really)!

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
And this is why the Homestuck fandom is still playing second fiddle to the Touhou fandom. Whereas one makes fake screenshots of an anime, the other just makes an anime. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiACjYkZohU] In fact, I believe we made two. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9IB7u3fvTZA&feature=watch_response] :p

Okay, so there's technically four, but no one likes to talk about the other two. And the designs on the first one I linked kinda suck, but still...

Note: I tease, I tease. I like Homestuck too. You guys are cool. Please don't kill me. ;)

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
[http://dizzy.pestermom.com/?p=art-trollhou]
M0rp43vs said:
Also with Touhou being the crossover powerhouse that it is, I'm rather surprised that there aren't that many crossovers with Homestuck.
I can only think of one image offhand, along with some other stuff on KimikoMuffin's site. Like the concept of Flandre auspistizing Flandre and Flandre [http://dizzy.pestermom.com/?p=trolltheorem]. Since I don't follow Homestuck and have a weak grasp on the concept, that particular idea broke parts of my brain I wasn't sure I had.