Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I find SNL pretty insufferable; it’s unintentional cringe comedy that lacks the self-awareness to make it respectable. I liked it well enough in the ‘80s when they had some elite comedians on the cast, but when you’ve got that jackass Kenan Thompson on stage who can’t make it through a skit without breaking character to save his damn life, it’s just painful to watch.
For me, that's the only time I find myself amused by their skits.

When they break and start smiling and giggling at their own humor, or worse, when they break because a punchline falls flat, and you’ve got the inevitable moment of uncomfortable silence or pity laughter from a scant few in the crowd, and they stare into the camera waiting on the next line to save them, it just comes off as… amateurish? Maybe that’s the point?
Pretty much yeah. The majority of the cast are relatively young comedians, prior to really getting big. SNL is traditionally a platform for young, new talent, to get themselves out there, and hone their skills. YMMV on who effective they are at this, but that's a separate issue.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Da 5 Bloods.
The cinematic equivalent of an interesting lecture on black history being repeatedly interrupted by the senile lecturer repeatedly telling irrelevant and uninteresting anecdotes. There had to have been a cheaper way for Spike Lee to work through his late life crisis than this baggy, self indulgent, meandering tosh. There's a couple of good performances, but they don't really count for much since little to nothing of interest is happening on screen.

Reactions: gorfias

Wintermute

Elite Member
Apr 25, 2020
Pindorama
Personal Shopper - 6/10

Bella hates her job, interacts with CGI ghosts, rides a scooter around town, texts a lot... The first 30 minutes were nice, then CGI ghosts and I stopped caring. The movie doesn't know what it wants to be. Zak Bagans is a more charismatic medium that talks to ghosts and shit, so go watch Ghost Adventures instead.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
The Red Shoes (1948, UK, Technicolor)

UK region B Blu-ray, imported because of how much more expensive Criterion's disc is. Rewatch. Watched the DVD in April, via Netflix.

Ballerina's passion for dancing destroys her. Hm, sounds familiar. Doesn't really follow the same story beats as Black Swan, which I find good as well, but it was probably an inspiration. Here, it's having to choose between love and her passion that does her in, her director making it clear she can't have both. I think her descent in the second half could have been a little better developed, although there's some foreshadowing in the dreamy sixteen minute ballet of "The Red Shoes" in the middle of the movie, whose story mirrors what happens to Moira Shearer's character. One of the things this movie has over Black Swan is that the star was a real dancer. A good one, as far as I could tell. Her performances were wonderful.

Great movie.

Last edited:

faeyr

Escapist +
Apr 10, 2020
Ottawa
Country
Canada
I finally got around to watching Knives Out. I thought it was really fun. The twisting structure was clear enough to follow without too much difficulty. It managed to be funny without undercutting the murder mystery itself too much. The acting was great; I could easily watch Daniel Craig play Benoit Blanc a few more times. I'd give it a strong recommendation. It should hold up to a re-watch in the near future.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
John Wick 3

Yeah, franchise is running out of steam. Still decent, but a jump down in quality, and getting silly which really hurts a franchise that was popular for being dark and gritty.
If they don't end at 4, then I am done. As much as I love 3, there is literally nothin else at this point than taking the organization itself down. If they add another behind-the-scene person at the top, beyond the person at the top, I am fucking done.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
If they don't end at 4, then I am done. As much as I love 3, there is literally nothin else at this point than taking the organization itself down. If they add another behind-the-scene person at the top, beyond the person at the top, I am fucking done.
They are/were going to do a spin-off with one of the ballerinas from 3. Which, yeah, maybe?

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
They are/were going to do a spin-off with one of the ballerinas from 3. Which, yeah, maybe?
Seriously? I know about the supposed spin-off for an older Atomic Blonde being John Wick's teacher/master, but that ballerina idea is so unnecessary.

XsjadoBlayde

~it ends here~
Apr 29, 2020
Frozen 2
While these tend to hover comfortably above "watchable" at their worst, sometimes the legacy of a sequel's source overshadows its merits. Which very well could be the case for this film. I'll admit by the point this started, I was far from sober. A little cocktail of intoxication never hurt any Disney movie...

Err, anyway, while the amount of confused cats stuck in hallways never grew tiresome, the royalty-free sound effects really got on my tits; cats are cute and funny just by themselves, you don't need to employ these patronising tricks to make them better! Despite that, the challenges were all interesting, if a bit too much from the mind of a Jigsaw with a serious feline fetish. Very cute, but no more sound effects plz! Also the royalty-free music was a bit shit.

Wait, no, that was the Kittisaurus youtube videos I got intensely distracted by while trying watch the film! Ok, music was less interesting, only one track stood out. But the kids were hooked and it got them ready for bed, so no complaining from me!

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Aquaman - This movie is still an S Rank in my eyes. And it only gets better on multiple viewings. I love the this movie more than Marvel's 1st phase, 2nd phase (most of which I hate), and nearly all of its 3rd phase. This movie is the underwater version of Devil May Cry 3 without the Gothic tower. If Dante were the older brother and Vergil the younger brother, but with different fathers and a year or two apart. Fighting over a father's legacy, a supposed (this film only) dead mother, and stylish action you would see in the actual games themselves. I expected a style meter to show up when ever the hand-to-hand or trident fights showed up. The action in this is Smokin' Sexy Style! With the bright comic accurate costumes and fight choreography; it's a better Power Rangers film than the one from 2017. It's a better God of War film than all of modern Clash of the Titans films. I cannot wait for the sequel in 2022. How they're going to top something like this film is beyond me. The sequel I do not mind, but I do not want to them making lightning strike twice or top the final battle at the end. Aquaman is gorgeous to look at on a big ass screen. I hope to see more of Atlantis in the sequel too. The water has been so inviting for me in a longtime when watching on screen. If some of y'all are still on the fence about this move, you need to at least give Aquaman a view once.

Can we get an Aquaman action game please?

Last edited:

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
it's a better Power Rangers film than the one from 2017.
Well, yeah, but the 1995 Power Rangers film was better than the 2017 one, so... :(

Can we get an Aquaman action game please?
An Aquaman game? That sounds rather fishy. Bet it would have microtransactions that make a buck through whales. Damn AAA industry is a bunch of sharks.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Well, yeah, but the 1995 Power Rangers film was better than the 2017 one, so... :(
Hence why I said the 2017 version. It's a no brainer that the 95 version is better than 2017, but I understand your feelings. I've watched that version more times, than I care to count.

An Aquaman game? That sounds rather fishy. Bet it would have microtransactions that make a buck through whales. Damn AAA industry is a bunch of sharks.

Oh right, WB...

Well, if I had the choice I would want Rocksteady or Platinum to do the game. It could be semi-open world, but prefer a more linear action title. And have little to none MicroTransX. If Rocksteady, less Arkham combat, and more God of War-like (before the 4th game). Platinum would just be similar to Bayonetta. but would work for the character. Aquaman, in this film anyway, is more of a ballerina dodger and parrier than blocking. Though he does block a couple of times. So either works for me.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Pokémon: Mewtwo Strikes Back—Evolution.

Wow, they really dropped the ball on the title, the original had at least 2 more sub-titles than that! It was okay. A lot of the effects were pretty cool and the character models actually didn't look too bad in 3d. Most of them. I found Meowth kind of disturbing to look at most of the time. It was a pretty faithful remake. Too faithful, in fact. They had a golden opportunity to fix the end of the film where it starts moralizing about pokemon battles being wrong and then deus ex machina pokemon tear revival. But alas, for some reason remakes never seem to attempt to fix glaring faults in the plot.

Honestly, I'm not sure why they remade this one, the original visuals were fine, the original voice acting was better, and Pokemon: Mewtwo Strikes Back is the worst pokemon movie I've seen. Pokemon 2000 was far better, Mewtwo Returns was better, even Pokemon the Third Movie was better.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
Siouxsie and the Banshees: Nocturne (1983, UK import)

At 58 minutes, one of the shortest concert movies I've seen all year, but pretty good. Need to rewatch to compare 2.0 with headphones to the 5.1 DTS I just watched. I never knew Robert Smith used to work with them, because I don't look at band rosters or anything.

Wonder why punk rock almost never appears in cyberpunks. I mean, the fiction genre came from that era and subculture in part.

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
John Wick 3

Yeah, franchise is running out of steam. Still decent, but a jump down in quality, and getting silly which really hurts a franchise that was popular for being dark and gritty.
I hate "Merciful bad guys" scenes. Like, when 100 bad guys are shooting at 007 for about an hour straight, then one catches him dead bang and acts like he is trying to arrest him. Bought JW 3 from Amazon UHD and it is a spectacular thing to view. Some terrific lore. BUT: Has at least 2 merciful bad guy scenes that tank so much for me. And some plot points that seem there just to keep nonsense going. But so much is electric action. I will watch 4 if / when it comes out some time after the next "Bill and Ted' movie.

Me? Just watched Crawl free for Amazon Prime customers. Smarter and more fun than many would think. I admit to covering my eyes a few times. If you are in for some suspenseful scares, this one has them. 4/5.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
Jumanji 2: Electric Boogaloo.

This was okay. Had the normal contrived situation of the first movie added with the contriveness of wanting to go back. But they explored the Avatars in a wider sense and allowed more acting like their controllers. Which was fun. I don't think the Rock pulled off one character though . This one felt more video gamey and the slow talking Milo was a bit overplayed. It's a fine sequel. 7/10