Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I thought it was okay, but the sound mixing really turned off my full enjoyment. I had to watch with subtitles just to hear. I used to have the movie, but sold it earlier this year. After Tenet, I am officially done with Nolan movies. Granted, I was already not watching much of his after Dark Knight Rises, but I see no reason to bother with his films anymore. He's just a "classy" version of Michael Bay.
I really hated TENET in retrospect. I saw it in theaters. I feel like the production was a reaction to criticism of his previous films. The train scene where they intentionally make it so you cant hear anything just felt like a big screaming baby "OH BANE WAS HARD TO HEAR? WELL HOW ABOUT THIS?!" and it felt like, rather than organically drawing the audience with characters towards understanding the logic, they intentionally avoiding explaining the science in the most infantile ways possible, cutting off dialog and scenes where a contemporary film would do exposition.

I like films that make you think or puzzle out logic. One of my favorite films of all time Primer has an entire wiki dedicated to deconstructing its time travel premise and has even had commentary on it from the scientific community.

Ive enjoy all of Nolans films previous. I enjoy that hed give you the pieces and let you figure it out yourself, but TENET just felt pretentious demanding people "get" his art. HeS aN ArTiSt!

edit: nvm I saw it home, but in a professional home theater. That year was a blur.

Edit2: I watched that video. honestly his excuse is even worse. What a pretentious ass. I love that even his contemporaries think its dumb.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrawlMan

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
What kinda shut me out of the film is two fold. By midway through the film she gains the ability to control turning into this big Panda and even takes advantage of it, so at this point the obstacle has been solved. Youre also being told to believe turning into the Panda isnt awesome, but yet shes clearly enjoying it so the message really gets muddled. Its like if having a period were awesome and gave you super powers. Whats the issue here?
The issue isn't the panda it's the mom. The period angle gets WAY too much exposure in the critical discourse surrounding this movie. The panda shows up right after Meilin gets horribly embarrassed by her mom in front of everyone, and then refuses to speak up about it eventhough on the inside she's screaming. The panda isn't about being on your period, it's about bottled up frustration/rebelion breaking free. When the whole legend behind it gets explained it even says that the panda would only appear as defense against danger.

The message doesn't get muddled, it just reveals itself as Meilin unshackles herself from her overbearing mother. It's the mom that tells her being the panda is bad, that Meilin shouldn't use it. But Meilin then discovers the benefits and actually ends up really liking it. The whole thing is about parents dictating their child's behaviour instead of letting them walk their own path and discover themselves. Nothing new since The Mitchels v.s. The Machines did something similar, but Turning Red did it with pandas.

Bartholen

At age 6 I was born without a face
Legacy
Jul 1, 2020
Country
Finland
Re-Animator, 7/10

This is on the short list of what are considered good adaptations of H.P. Lovecraft's stories. I haven't read the story in forever so I don't really know how faithful this is to the original (likely not much at all beyond the basic premise), but I really enjoyed this. With Color Out of Space featuring Nick Cage and this, I'm starting to be convinced that going hysterically over the top and/or camp is the right way to go about adapting Lovecraft to the screen. That way you convey the intensity of what his characters feel and sidestep most of the things that make Lovecraft stories hard to adapt. His written work is all about creeping, omnipresent dread and madness and what you can't see, so a good way to adapt that is to not adapt it and to aim for a different atmosphere altogether.

I was pleasantly surprised by this movie. I'd heard it was camp, and it is, but it's played straight a lot more than I expected. There's some gloriously cheesy acting from the titular character and his rival, another mad scientist (or doctor in this case), the practical effects look great and the acting is solid. I especially liked the main couple, they had really good chemistry and I genuinely bought their relationship. But what most surprised me was the script: it's actually really well written, both in terms of dialogue, and the overall plot progression. All the characters' actions and reactions to the events seem reasonable and fitting for their characters, and it actually makes sense why the main character would go along with the mad schemes of his roommate. This elevates it well above your average 80s horror flick.

Which is why it's such a shame that towards the end the movie starts to strain credulity big time. For all its surprising amount of focus on medical accuracy, suddenly a disembodied head can just breathe and talk on its own. How did a zombie get to the house of the main character's girlfriend? And how did it get back to the hospital carrying an unconscious woman? It's not like it can just hop behind the wheel. At that point the movie just kind of gives up, but I'm willing to forgive it because by then it's moved into full on haunted house horror antics and plenty of 80s gore. The final climax is definitely worth it, and the ending is especially and unexpectedly dark for a movie of this era.

Thinking about it, I think this would make for a pretty effective horror movie if played straight. Tone down the campiness and score, touch up the lighting a bit, and take out some of the less well aged parts (sexual assault is not cool), and you'd IMO have a quite unnerving zombie flick. I can imagine if this premise was done in the style of Hereditary it'd be genuinely terrifying.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Resident Evil Afterlife

Fourth movie in the series and Paul W.S. Andersons return as director. Also, kind of an odd one. Where Extinction was the movie to establish a new status quo, raise the stakes and increase the pace, Afterlife takes it slowly. Where Extinction had a subplot of Alice developing telekinetic power, Afterlife strips those away after its action packed prologue in a hilariously video gamey fashion and settles into what is probably the most slow paced Resident Evil movie yet, having both the most impressive, but in return least frequent big action sequences in the series so far.

After a breathtaking assault on an Umbrella facility in Tokyo as its big opening, and Alice's first personal confrontation with Albert Wesker who'd be this movies main villain, Afterlife has Alice tracking down the signal of a alleged safe haven named Arcadia. A journey leading her first to Alaska, where she finds a brainwashed Claire Redfield, and later to a prison in Los Angeles, besieged by undead hordes and occupied by survivors trying to make a break for Arcadia themselves, which, it turns out, is a ship just slightly off the coast.
Anderson's return as a director also marks a return of one of his personal trademarks, a fairly contained, mostly indoors, setting. Extinction's Mad Max inspired road movie sensibilities make way for a movie that's set mainly in the corridors of a prison facility. After expanding the series scope for two movies, Anderson now narrows it down again. Afterlife is the story of a fortress under siege and its occupants desperate attempts to reach a promise of freedom.
Afterlife does a lot of interesting things, stylistically. Being the first movie in the series shot in 3D it takes, moreso than most other 3D action movies, a very dioramic approach to many of its action sequences, adding to its newfound dimensionality some of the most striking use of bullet time outside of a Wachowski movie. Anderson expands on the ideas and iconography of the previous movies in some ways, more apparent than ever is the contrast between the run down post apocalyptic landscapes outside and the sterile, white apples store interiors of Umbrella's facilities. The use of sattelite imagery to signify an all seeing eye in the sky that remains, even after the collapse of civilization. And, of course, the idea of "building a new human", through mind control, or cloning, or simply false promises.
Albert Wesker serves, in this movie, as the "human face" of the umbrella corporation which, by accident or by design, tends to be fairly interchangeable. His portrayal in this movie takes a lot of inspiration from his portrayal in the then recent Resident Evil 5, ironically enough a period in the series history where it also started to embrace the indulgences of Hollywood action cinema that Resident Evil 6 would eventually collapse under. The movie builds him up as kind of a foil to Alice, but his connection to the games is by and large the main factor seperating him from the middle aged technocrats that have come to represent Umbrella in the other movies.

Afterlife is a slower and overall less eventful movie than Extinction. I can't, in good conscience, call it an improvement on it. Rather than expanding on what the previous movies have set up, Anderson uses his return as a director to tighten up what those have established and emphasize their intent. It's where the RE series really starts to lean into ideas that invoke a less verbose, and less encyclopedic version of what the Metal Gear games, or indeed some of the more paranoid strokes of the actual Resi games were doing. Depicting a world haunted by the spectre of corporate greed well after its collapse.
It doesn't have the forward momentum of something like Extinction and once again I have to point out that, had I watched this as a standalone without the sequel already waiting, I might have been underwhelmed. Afterlife has about one very well done action sequence at its beginning, middle and end that all play out very impressively, but as a whole it's very much connective tissue, more concerned with clarifying the series direction that moving it forward.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Being the first movie in the series shot in 3D it takes, moreso than most other 3D action movies, a very dioramic approach to many of its action sequences, adding to its newfound dimensionality some of the most striking use of bullet time outside of a Wachowski movie.
I'd say "it gratuitously has things flying at the camera in slow motion", myself.

I also like that when they are fighting the big guy with the axe in the shower block it looks like someone other than Alice is going to be important, but that moment goes away and she has to pop back into the scene to kill the monster the same way that had no effect when someone else tried.

Also...Alice has not superpowers for most of the film. Nominally, cause she obviously has superpowers.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Ive enjoy all of Nolans films previous. I enjoy that hed give you the pieces and let you figure it out yourself, but TENET just felt pretentious demanding people "get" his art. HeS aN ArTiSt!

edit: nvm I saw it home, but in a professional home theater. That year was a blur.

Edit2: I watched that video. honestly his excuse is even worse. What a pretentious ass. I love that even his contemporaries think its dumb.
That's pretty much how I felt about Tenet later, and Inception when it first released. The latter especially did not need to be 3 hours long, and relied way too much on exposition, and explaining dream levels instead of letting the viewer figure it out, or leave some room for ambiguity. Aside from the ending. When Nightmare on Elm Street and the Evil Within games do mind/dream logic levels better than your art piece, you known ya fucked up. Though Nolan is too far up his own ass to realize it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Speaking of Turning Red (insert period joke), I watched Carrie again. The original movie, not the Hit Girl remake.

It's a great showcase for De Palma, who is kinda like a sleazier version of Hitchcock, with elaborate yet discrete tracking shots and the ability to seemingly stretch a single moment forever while adding more and more details. Sissy Spacek and Piper Laurie are great in it. So the mom is a bit of a caricature of the fire-and-brimstone nutjob, because there's one in every Stephen King book, but Carrie feels like such a unique creation - especially how Spacek plays her as alien, wounded and deranged.

The fast-forward through the dress-up montage feels a bit out of place, and the constant slapping between all these different characters becomes comedic (especially when the teacher slaps Nancy Allen). Maybe I'm giving Bond too a hard time for slapping around Tiffany Case. Everybody seemed to get away with it in the 70s.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Everything Everywhere All at Once
There is a universe in which Jamie Lee Curtis became a pro wrestler. Maybe she turned down the role in Halloween? Who knows. The pace, the stakes, the everything, and it's a nice looking movie too. Some fluffy action in there, which is fun butt not the main attraction. They even end up next to the set of Wong Kar-Wai's In the Mood for Love. But honestly it's an inferior version to Rick and Morty. seven hot dogs out of ten pickle ricks

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Clear History

A made-for-HBO comedy that feels like an extra long/half as good episode of Curb Your Enthusiasm. Larry David stars as a marketing dude who quits his SoCal company (he thinks naming a car 'Howard' sounds dumb) and sells his shares mere days before the car becomes a nation-wide sensation, losing on a billion dollars in the process. He relocates in shame to Martha's Vineyard, changes his name, gets a shave an a haircut so he looks like Larry David instead of The Dude by way of Hagrid and all is well for 10 years until his former boss/colleague decides to move in next door.

What follows is more or less a revenge story where Larry plans to blow up his nemesis' mansion. The biggest conceit in the movie is that his former boss (Jon Hamm) doesn't immediately recognize him, which makes no sense to begin with but is especially nonsensical when we learn a bit more about Hamm's character. Sure, I give you Larry David looks nothing like Larry David when he's styled as he is in the poster (didn't even know it was him until I read his name) but he doesn't change the way he talks or acts for Hamm and if you were basically colleagues for how many years you'd pick up on the ruse in a heartbeat.

Long story short, the plot is thin as ice anyway and it boils down to a series of vaguely connected improv scenes, Curb style, with people exasperatedly trying to make or defend a point. You'll hate it if you're not a fan of Curb but be kinda disappointed if you are, since this isn't exactly their finest material. I think the premise is a little too convoluted to basically get you to a middle of the road episode of Curb, and not used to its fullest potential anyway.

Ezekiel

Elite Member
May 29, 2007
Country
United States
The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (David Fincher)

The Sweden-set movie about murder, rape and old rich Nazis that you've probably already seen and I have little to say of that you don't know already.

I don't know how anyone can read the opening credits while that stylized CG opening is playing. I can in a Bond opening because the visuals aren't that fast-paced. It plays over this lame cover of Immigrant Song. Actually, it's not even that I dislike the cover so much, but more that the song feels off as an opener to the movie. Speaking of Bond, when Craig smoked his cigarette after the intro, the way he held it, it felt like he was making up for not being able to smoke as Bond. I really think that was the idea. Yes, I know he was trying to get off smoking later, but it's the way the scene is shot, how he holds the cig and how prolonged it is that makes me think this. A kind of joke or F.U. This movie paints smoking as bad too, though. Twice characters are asked to put their cigarettes out and a third time a guy in a van is visibly annoyed by someone smoking.

Some of the actors in this movie put on a fake accent, but Craig apparently just said **** it and spoke with his British accent. He barely tries to be Swedish. But he's alright in the part. His acting is good.

A stretch in both the Swedish and American versions for me is how everybody knows the murdered/missing girl was pretty religious but no one in the investigations back then figured out that the names and numbers in the back of her diary referred to Bible passages.

Made with more money than the Swedish version, and it shows. Fincher is obviously a better director. But his style is a little bit over the top too. Where the shack the Craig character works out of is ordinary in the Swedish version, here it's so aged and spacious that it looks almost like the house in Fight Club. The city is filmed more scenically and selectively, like how you'd imagine Sweden looking rather than how it probably generally is. But it's fine.

I found the ending in the Swedish version kind of weak. The ending here didn't really quite satisfy me either. It's pretty similar, but more drawn out. Just keeps going. Also feels more American.

The Rooney Mara character asks after saving the Craig character from torture and death if she may kill the killer. He says yes. In the Swedish version, she just chases after the killer and the Craig character only asks afterward what happened. She doesn't give him a straight answer. Her letting him burn was executed better in the Swedish version. It was more prolonged, rather than a quick explosion, and connected better with what she did to her father, which is shown in flashbacks in the Swedish version and which she tells to the Craig character in the American version (with the flashbacks omitted). Anyway, I can't imagine the Craig character wanting his suspect killed after all the work they did in identifying him. He'd rather see him in prison, I think. As a journalist, he would want to be known for being instrumental in his arrest. How would he expect her to get away with shooting the fleeing man anyway?

Even if I hadn't watched the Swedish version first (two months ago), I would have known early on that the Stellan Skarsgård character was the bad guy. Because he just looks and sounds villainous.

I don't love the Swedish version either. That trilogy was a 3/5 for me. The first one, Dragoon Tattoo, was the best of them all. They get progressively worse after and don't even feel that tightly connected to the first, so nothing much is lost by this American version not being followed by the two later (never adapted in America) books.

Last edited:

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Resident Evil Retribution

Penultimate installment in Paul W.S. Anderson's Resident Evil series and, among the series cult audience, generally considered to be the best one. It's definitely a very interesting one, considering it's the first movie in the series to finally bring the more self referential aspects that've been present since pretty much the Extinction to the forefront. Retribution plays in some way as a remix of the entire series so far that often verges into the self congratulatory, yes, but is also arguably the tightest and most conceptually focussed in the series.

Retribution, in what is, at this point more or less a tradition of the series, moves on from Afterlife's cliffhanger very quickly. After Umbrella's attack on the Arcadia ship at the end of Afterlife, Alice is rendered unconscious and wakes up in yet another underground Umbrella testing facility, this one hidden in the frozen wastes of Siberia and used to run simulations of zombie outbreaks in various metropolitan areas, New York, Tokyo and Moscow, among them. With the help of rogue Umbrella agent Ada Wong and a mercenary group including an incredibly poorly cast Leon Kennedy, she has to escape the facility alive.
Once again Anderson gets to do what he enjoys most, treating his main characters like rats in a maze and paying ample tribute to David Cameron and John Carpenter while doing so. It's also where Anderson goes full Hideo Kojima, leaning into the somewhat more abstract themes the series has so far mostly kept on the sidelines. In the Siberian Umbrella facility, clones, among others of Alice herself, are being mass produced to play out constantly repeating cycles of mass devastation, as we find out fairly early into the movie, with practically no human oversight whatsoever. For once, the closest thing to human antagonists the movie has are either brainwashed or cloned.
Retribution goes out of its way to completely dehumanize the forces of corporate totalitarianism Alice and her various allies have been struggling against since the beginning of the series. Almost everything about it, from the references to previous movies, to the model locations, to the assembly line clones of familiar characters follows a theme of reproduction and reenactment.
If that was the intention, it's probably the series most well executed bit of satire. When society has collapsed, yet capitalism hasn't had the decency to go down with it, what remains? Little but a constantly repeating autonomous cycle of artificial life dying and ressurecting. The influences of the Wachowski sisters, and the Matrix series specifically, has been felt throughout the entire series, but this is an almost pitch perfect homage to their cutting, but disarmingly sincere approach to depicting humanities struggle against the institutionalized and industrialized forces of evil.
Contributing to that are some of the series most well executed action scenes that come in a considerably higher frequency than they did in the comparatively slow paced afterlife. It features one of the best corridor fight scenes I've seen outside of a proper martial arts movie as well as some pretty cool hand to hand combat for its climax. I get the impression that it's somewhat what a Black Widow movie would look like, if it were made by people who actually know how to direct action.
There are a few quaint formalist gestures in the movies direction and presentation that I appreciated. The contrast between the sleek minimalist architecture of Umbrella's laboratory in contrast with the brutalist stylings of the former Soviet bunker it was built out of, still littered with communist insignia. The introductory action sequence playing out backwards before it plays out forwards. Using the artificialty of the setting for a few pieces of meta commentary on film making. It's... you know. Neat.

Retribution is nothing more and nothing less than the distilled essence of this movie series. Thematically, stylistically and narratively in encompasses just about everything Anderson was doing with it. The setting? Labyrinthine and claustrophobic. The protagonist? At her most superheroically, leather-clad badass. The story? At its most straight forward. The morals? At their most obvious. The action? At it's most elaborately choreographed.
If someone wanted to watch only one movie in this series to get an idea of what it's like, it should probably be this one, even though they would miss out on its more self referential elements. It trims away the other sequels experiments with style and genre to provide what's both a highlight reel and a distillation of the entire series.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
For me, while the previous film was rather wobbly, this is the one where the series trips over and catches fire, and I'm only watching because I probably just watched the previous ones and am running on inertia. It's being self-referential and not much else (ok, some nice visuals and fight scenes, but not handled very well), and the shaky justifications for what's going on the previous films at least attempted have fallen off.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
For me, while the previous film was rather wobbly, this is the one where the series trips over and catches fire, and I'm only watching because I probably just watched the previous ones and am running on inertia. It's being self-referential and not much else (ok, some nice visuals and fight scenes, but not handled very well), and the shaky justifications for what's going on the previous films at least attempted have fallen off.
I thought it did a fairly good job pretty much summarizing the series so far, even if it is mostly self indulgece and restating what has been stated before. I guess how much you can respect that depends on how much you think this series has earned the right to get all self congratulatory like that. I enjoyed it enough that, five movies in, I think it's a fair thing to do, especially considering it isn't pulling an Avengers Endgame and taking 3 hours just to wallow in its own legacy.

Not to get ahead of myself too much, but considering how Final Chapter sees the series completely unraveling itself, it was nice to have it as sort a last look at its bare essentials.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Morbius - not... entirely... sure if I wasted my time (as usual, I was working), it was fairly enjoyable, but filled more with theatrics than anything else. Matt Smith was delightfully hammy, but a bit too much so at times.

Inception - much better... rewatching it, recalling a fair few details about it, and holy crap it was released 12 years ago?!

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The Imitation Game: Good / Great

Benedict Cumberbatch portrays Alan Turing, the mathematician critical in building a machine tasked with decrypting the Enigma Machine used by the Germans to send encoded messages during WWII, previously believed to be uncrackable. His mindset would go on to become the basis for modern-day computers.

Pretty good. (Actually, you're hard-pressed to watch anything with Cumberbatch and not respect it; I'm starting to feel his name belongs alongside those of a Hanks, Pacino, or De Niro.) Sadly, it spent a lot of time spinning its tires and getting nowhere only to drop some substantive bombshells towards the end which would have made for a much more engaging story. That's a niggling nag, I know, but still bugs me a bit. I've not fact checked the whole tale, so not sure how much of it was dramatized for the screen, but still an interesting enough story if even 70% of it is accurate.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
The influences of the Wachowski sisters, and the Matrix series specifically, has been felt throughout the entire series, but this is an almost pitch perfect homage to their cutting, but disarmingly sincere approach to depicting humanities struggle against the institutionalized and industrialized forces of evil.
Contributing to that are some of the series most well executed action scenes that come in a considerably higher frequency than they did in the comparatively slow paced afterlife
Highly debatable. The action in Retribution is so-so and beyond been there and done that. If you're looking for Wachowski style action without them: either watch Wanted, Romeo Must Die, The One (Surpasses the Matrix sequels and all of its clones), or Ninja Assassin (they did act as producer though).

It features one of the best corridor fight scenes I've seen outside of a proper martial arts movie as well as some pretty cool hand to hand combat for its climax.
Seen better with or without the martial arts.

I get the impression that it's somewhat what a Black Widow movie would look like, if it were made by people who actually know how to direct action.
It's called Atomic Blonde. The best Black Widow movie ever made. Better than the official movie.

Not to get ahead of myself too much, but considering how Final Chapter sees the series completely unraveling itself, it was nice to have it as sort a last look at its bare essentials.
Prepare for a much worse experience in action and "storytelling". Expect a lot more quick-cutting and shaky-cam!

Last edited:

XsjadoBlaydette

Piss-Drinking Nazi Wine-Mums
May 26, 2022
Country
Wales
Dark Phoenix: Exhausted-of-all-this-bullshit-Men
It's rare to see a film where it looks like no one at all wants to be there anymore. Kind of admirable in a weird way. Especially when [redacted] dies quite early on and they just all stare at her them doing absolutely nothing in their combined powers to help, like a jaded and bitter paramedic on their last work day before retirement while a cataclysmic meteor is hours away from hitting Earth. It was a suitable watch for dealing with a mild migraine at least: mostly dark colour palette with miserable faces. Plus I always wanted to see Magneto simply crush a whole metal vehicle containment object flat, it simply pleases my lizard brain.

PsychedelicDiamond

Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Highly debatable. The action in Retribution is so-so and beyond been there and done that. If you're looking for Wachowski style action without them: either watch Wanted, Romeo Must Die, The One (Surpasses the Matrix sequels and all of its clones), or Ninja Assassin (they did act as producer though).
Alright then, I'll check those out. Atomic Blonde too, been meaning to watch that one for a while.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Dark Phoenix: Exhausted-of-all-this-bullshit-Men
It's rare to see a film where it looks like no one at all wants to be there anymore. Kind of admirable in a weird way. Especially when [redacted] dies quite early on and they just all stare at her them doing absolutely nothing in their combined powers to help, like a jaded and bitter paramedic on their last work day before retirement while a cataclysmic meteor is hours away from hitting Earth. It was a suitable watch for dealing with a mild migraine at least: mostly dark colour palette with miserable faces. Plus I always wanted to see Magneto simply crush a whole metal vehicle containment object flat, it simply pleases my lizard brain.
Oh yeah, I though Apocalypse was bad, but this...

I particularly "like" when Xavier says that now that mutants are accepted, no kid will know discrimination for being different.