Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
Little ashamed to admit I watched this like 3-4 times the week it came out. Idk, the comedy, animation and cuteness were all just super on point.

Reactions: BrawlMan

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Scoop: Okay? / Great

An American journalism student is inexplicably visited by the ghost of a recently dead reporter who gives her a lead that a prominent, wealthy Englishman might be a serial killer.

A Woody Allen joint. Not sure what this film was going for, but it's a thing that happened. It's funny, but the meat of this "meat and potatoes" just felt like an aside; the plot was merely a vehicle for the jokes which often made the plot feel like an afterthought. It's a mildly supernatural crime dramedy overshadowed by Allen's stereotypical New York Jew.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Zone of Interest

Movie about the Hoss family living next door to Auschwitz, where dad Rudolf clocks in as head kommandant. The juxtaposition of an affluent nuclear family living next door to a literal death camp sounds obvious and heavy-handed but the movie pulls it off by never once showing the inside of the death camp (other than a single closeup of Hoss, framed against the sky) and focusing on the family's attempts at simply ignoring it, as you do a loud neighbor. When they're not annoyed by the screaming and the sounds of gunfire or woken up by the smokestacks blazing at night mostly they just seem bored. And yet when Hoss is threatened with a transfer they're terrified of losing the house, which looks like one of those lifeless prefabs from gated communities. The big selling point is the garden, which manages to look both pretty and lifeless, itself enclosed by concrete walls and barbed wire.

Anyway, the movie captures the banality of evil perfectly. It's a really riveting watch.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Jun 11, 2023
Country
United States
From her perspective though it makes sense, as once the seed of doubt is planted her facade of perfection slowly cracks away. She wants people to see her as something more than that, as if saying, “See? Even *perfect* people have problems! It’s ok to be human and vulnerable no matter who you are!”

FakeSympathy

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 8, 2015
Seattle, WA
Country
US
I saw Hacksaw Ridge.

There have been so many WW2 movies and documentaries, so many so that it's hard for me to say which ones stands out. They each tell such compelling stories of horrors and near-death experiences, as well as stories of loss. For me, only three works stood out; Saving Private Ryan, Enemies at the Gate, and Band of Brothers. And for the longest time, nothing seemed to top them or be in their league.

Well, Hacksaw Ridge has earned the spot amongst them for me. When we hear about war stories, we often see heroes who fought and killed to win, and we come to idolize them for the vicotry. However, Desmond Doss showed bravery not just in participating in Pacific front, but also in not carrying a weapon with him based on his belief. His bravery and unbroken faith when facing hardships both from US Army and during the battle was really inspiring.

Especially the part where he says "Lord, help me get one more". I mean forget religion, he saved so many lives during that battle. Medal of Honor was well-received.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For me, right next to Jason Goes To Hell, this is the worst Friday the 13th movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I can completely understand that. For me, the worst one is probably either the original or Jason Takes Manhattan.
At least JTM is entertainingly bad. The first movie, despite being a Halloween knock off, is at least decent and has some good scares with a neat twist. The killer is a grieving mother that has gone insane and is not some super powerful entity, there were some souped up mutant nor creature. Just a normal person that went insane, due to loss.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
I get that. For me, the issue with the first one is that it is pretty poorly filmed, and not in a charming way for me, with way too much padding, and while Betsy Palmer absolutely nails it, it's also a whodunnit where the "who" isn't even in the film until 5 minutes before it's revealed they dun it.

As for JTM, it has its moments, but the title is a total lie, and I still have no idea what was up with the ending.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Dune: Part Two

I don't even know where to begin with this. Overall Part One felt like it was packaged tighter; Part Two has to pay everything off on top of also introducing even more characters and plot points and bonkers twists, developing everything and also having it pay off within a single movie in a satisfying way while pretending they're not going to make more of these. And to the eternal credit of everyone involved: it all works rather amazingly well in epic form. The movie delivers on just about everything it builds up. Except Gurney vs. Rabban which was underwhelming as fuck. Did they even mention Rabban killing his family in part one?

So I know nothing about Dune I didn't get from Part One or didn't glean from David Lynch's version (which, you know what? Couldn't have been that different from the book, going by Villeneuve's own version). I know the story gets bonkers within a book or two when characters start resurrecting or transforming into worms or possessing the living from the genetic afterlife. Whatever. My take is that Part One was about politics and Part Two is unabashedly about religion. And I wonder how much will audiences tolerate religious fervor as the main dramatic driving force, since it always ends up making characters so fickle. One scene in particular had the theater laughing at an exchange that sounded directly lifted from Life of Brian.

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
My kids dug the hell out of this, I couldn't stand it because Nimona - though not unjustifiably - comes across as appallingly sanctimonious all the time. Its like they say about John Goodman's character in The Big Lebowski "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an asshole".

It was beautifully animated though, holy shit.

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
The Zone of Interest (2023)

Movie about the private life of Rudolf Höss, overseer of the Auschwitz death camp in german occupied Poland.

Directed by Jonathan Glazer, Zone of Interest is a movie that's more engaging to think about than it is to actually watch. Zone of Interest is almost entirely focussed on the unremarkable family life of what appears to be an unremarkable man. Its depiction of Rudolf Höss is that of a soft spoken, repressed and pathetic person. In his home, seperated from the concentration camp by nothing more than a wall, he embodies an emotionally distant husband and father. A man who, even in the context of a society as violently patriarchal as the Third Reich, is unable to stand up to his own wife.

The only thing noteworthy about him is that he's overseeing the enslavement and mass execution of millions. Not that any of that is ever explicitly depicted, of course. It's only ever discussed in the abstract settings of business meetings and assemblies that could very well be part of any other industry.

It's tempting to say Zone of Interest is about the banality of evil, but that would be reductive. Zone of Interest is about the human capacity to detach themselves from their own evil. The ones planning atrocities can take comfort in them being carried out by people below them. And the ones carrying out atrocities can take comfort in them having been planned by people above them. Genuine cruelty is required in no more than a select few for even the greatest acts of evil to be realized.

Does Rudolf Höss take pleasure in death and enslavement? It doesn't appear that way. As a matter of fact, he doesn't seem to take a lot of pleasure in much of anything. When the brass is ordering his transfer from Auschwitz to Oranienburg he's more emotional towards his horse than towards his family, who's staying behind. His wife Hedwig displays more genuine hatred towards those she deems below her than he ever does.

Zone of Interest chooses to neither focus on the masterminds behind the holocaust nor on its victims but on those who felt the least responsibility while being among the most guilty. The eternal middle managers who carry out their order unquestioningly to the best of their ability.

One can look at the Holocaust, or indeed many other great historical atrocities, as acts of singular evil caused by individuals of singular evil but the truth is, if one were to walk down a crowded street they would walk past dozens of people who'd be capable of the same things Adolf Hitler was and hundreds who'd be capable of the same things Rudolf Höss was if put in the same positions. The capacity to be responsible for or complicit in acts of bestial cruelty is latent in a vast majority of human beings and the more it's being denied the more dangerous it is.

Zone of Interest is a movie about denial. About the way people can not only administrate but live next to the dark satanic mills that manufacture hell on earth, and have a garden party. We can scoff at those who deny the Holocaust today but it was already being denied while it was still ongoing. Why is it integral for the welfare of the nation that millions of civilians have to be enslaved and executed? Because it's been determined by the leadership so it might as well be the word of God, no more any individuals responsibility than the direction of the wind or the ebb and flow of the tides.

The capacity to recognize guilt in ourselves is so underdeveloped and so easily disabled that it might as well be nonexistent. The real Rudolf Höss was tried and hanged after the war. Did he understand why? Who knows. It takes many years for a person to develop a healthy conscience and no more than a minimal amount of time and effort for it to be dismantled. The impulse to comply with cruelty so much stronger than the impulse to object to it. Can a person be taught to be better? Can a society?

Zone of Interest features Rudolf Höss' five children. A couple of those are still alive. Did they grow up in a world that raised them to be better people than their parents? Did we?

Last edited:
Reactions: XsjadoBlayde

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Top tier S-Rank. Seriously, Netflix for some reasons tends to have the best animated movies. BTW, Ruby Gillman is on Netflix now, if you have not seen yet. I give a good recommendation.
My kids dug the hell out of this, I couldn't stand it because Nimona - though not unjustifiably - comes across as appallingly sanctimonious all the time. Its like they say about John Goodman's character in The Big Lebowski "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an asshole".
In terms of asshole lead characters, I've seen so much worse than Nimona; she is not even close. Besides, she ain't the only problem and the knights got a few jackasses I wanna knee bash in the face.

Last edited: