Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Guardians of the Galaxy 3.

Overall impression? Long. My whole family was wondering when it would end. Not because we weren't enjoying, it just felt like it would never end.

I really thought the editing could have been a lot tighter. There was a ton of slow mo with classic Gunn music, but honestly the best song in the movie was the one from the first movie.

But as an MCU movie, it didn't look like it was shot in a director's backyard. They didn't need to sacrifice the blood of a thousand VFC artists to make it. Or if they did, it at least looked good. It felt less product, more art.

Definitely my least favorite of the trilogy. It was funny, there was some good action, but I'm not an animal guy so the emotional stuff didn't hit me as hard as I heard it did for others.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I tried to watch The Super Mario Bros. Movie, but for the love of God it was so utterly, soul-crushingly generic, I just couldn't finish it. This is what was so divisive and what needed to be protected from critics? This piece of colored styrofoam?!

And now this studio is doing the Zelda movie. God fucking help us all.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I tried to watch The Super Mario Bros. Movie, but for the love of God it was so utterly, soul-crushingly generic, I just couldn't finish it.
It's s good enough for me. I didn't find it so crushingly generic. The movie definitely has heart put into it, even if it uses some license songs from the '80s.

This is what was so divisive and what needed to be protected from critics? This piece of colored styrofoam?!
The movie never needed protection, but the ones attacking anything "woke" needed to shut the hell up. Plus, colored styrofoam can be fun.

Last I checked, they're not doing the Zelda movie.

Last edited:

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
El Escarabajo Azul

I don't have anything to say about the plot of the movie. It's Upgrade but coded as a superhero flick (Spider-Man/Venom, mostly).

As a Latino I'm supposed to cream my pants at the sight of another Latino on screen. Bless the kid playing Jaime but he's about as Latino as Häagen-Dazs is Scandinavian. Gwyneth Paltrow speaks better Spanish. And I'm sick of the monolithic Latino family bundle, with the hard-working/long-suffering dad and the fretful, overbearing mom and the fretful, overbearing abuela and the funny, deadbeat uncle. And because they're Latino they eat Latino food, and listen to Latino music, and switch to Spanish in anger. Gimme a break.

Jaime isn't even the first Hispanic DC superhero. It's technically Flash, since his mom is played by Maribel Verdú. But because Barry is white-passing, middle-class and doesn't live off empanadas I guess he doesn't count.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
El Escarabajo Azul

I don't have anything to say about the plot of the movie. It's Upgrade but coded as a superhero flick (Spider-Man/Venom, mostly).

As a Latino I'm supposed to cream my pants at the sight of another Latino on screen. Bless the kid playing Jaime but he's about as Latino as Häagen-Dazs is Scandinavian. Gwyneth Paltrow speaks better Spanish. And I'm sick of the monolithic Latino family bundle, with the hard-working/long-suffering dad and the fretful, overbearing mom and the fretful, overbearing abuela and the funny, deadbeat uncle. And because they're Latino they eat Latino food, and listen to Latino music, and switch to Spanish in anger. Gimme a break.

Jaime isn't even the first Hispanic DC superhero. It's technically Flash, since his mom is played by Maribel Verdú. But because Barry is white-passing, middle-class and doesn't live off empanadas I guess he doesn't count.
I have heard that the movie has become a joke amongst the Latino community. Is there a reason for that besides the stereotypes they seem to be indulging in?

LegoDnD

Jan 10, 2023
Country
United States of America
I tried to watch The Super Mario Bros. Movie, but for the love of God it was so utterly, soul-crushingly generic, I just couldn't finish it. This is what was so divisive and what needed to be protected from critics? This piece of colored styrofoam?!

If all you had for 30 years was a pseudo-riff on Blade Runner that hinged on a flimsy what-if premise about dinosaur-people with uglier visuals than an early FMV, you'd settle for the creative bankrupcy of Illumination too.

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
El Escarabajo Azul

Wait a sec... Starts to sound familiar...
Also this:

Reactions: gorfias

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
If all you had for 30 years was a pseudo-riff on Blade Runner that hinged on a flimsy what-if premise about dinosaur-people with uglier visuals than an early FMV, you'd settle for the creative bankrupcy of Illumination too.
Well, I'd have to be really, really desperate... and not have access to any of the Mario games that have more charm in one level than this movie has in its entirety (probably, again, I didn't finish it).

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Eh. The 90's Mario movie was, at least, bad in a more interesting way.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I don't think that's a bad thing. Zemo is kinda boring anyway. GotG3 at one point name-drops Robocop in regards to the Evolutionary, and it fits in more ways than one. That movie also has villains that aren't deep or complex, they're just fucking evil. Same as Biff from Back to the Future, Saris from Galaxy Quest, or Doc Ock from Into the Spider-Verse. Villians who are still engaging eventhough (or maybe because) they're just big assholes. The Evolutionary gets introduced snatching a scared, baby raccoon away from his litter and then torturing it; that's really all we need to know. He's just evil. The movie even has Quill making fun of him for his attempt at being deep and meaningful. Honestly how I felt about Zemo while watching Civil War - 'Okay yeah, bla bla bla your family died, so now your a bad guy. :rolleyes:'

And the actor sells it. I mean, Ronan from GotG1 was a big asshole, but because of the acting the whole character felt very bland. But Chudwudi Iwuji made the evil of the High Evolutionary feel genuine. Again, similar to Kurtwood Smith as Clarence Boddicker in Robocop.
No. He doesn't sell it. At all

But I'm not blaming the actor. He was the best part of Peacemaker. It's how he's written. He was written like the first distracting group in The Suicide Squad. A pointless ten mins that detracts from a movie. And Id prefer Ronan, Sovereign, Malakeith, Zod or Luther from Batman v Superman. Literally would have been a much more enjoyable movie without him

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Eh. The 90's Mario movie was, at least, bad in a more interesting way.
Debatable. Highly debatable. While there are some entertaining moments, I find the 90s Mario movie way too boring to watch, similar to the first live-action Street Fighter movie.

. And Id prefer Ronan, Sovereign, Malakeith, Zod or Luther from Batman v Superman. Literally would have been a much more enjoyable movie without him
Nah, I'd take the High Evo any day over Sovereign (always found average), Malakeith (the most boring and forgettable villain in MCU history), or BvS_Luthor (who they turned into a Joker expy of sorts and is not really true to the actual character). Ronan is fine, but he is nothing more than a glorified flunky for Thanos. MoS_Zod is superior to all the villains on the list, due to his actual depth and complexity, but I love both him and High Evo for different reasons. Both of the actors nailed their respective roles.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
I really thought D&D Honour Among Thieves was gonna be better. There was great action and genuinely funny moments, but the already generic and transparent plot is further undermined by the overly quippy nature of the film. This was perhaps the least charismatic Charismatic Chris Pine role the man has had yet.

I also didn't appreciate how they seem to be able to travel anywhere they want at the drop of a dime. I don't know if that's consistent with the D&D universe, but it made this world feel really small. Reminds me of The Witcher season 2 in that regard.

Last edited:

Absent

And twice is the only way to live.
Jan 25, 2023
Country
Switzerland
Ah. Yeah. Two reasons why I generally forget the Dalton movies. The actor doesn't do it for me. And the Licence to Kill plot... it just feels like a generic revenge flick, or some Miami Vice episode. It's like those experimental Columbo episodes based on McBain novels, where you have Columbo run around with a gun or whatnot. It's just something else.

At least, I appreciate that it has a coherent plot, I don't find it dragging. I wish more Bond movies consisted in investigations instead of disjointed action setpieces artificially tied together (98% of the franchise running time). So it's not a bad film, it just feels outside the Bond genre, the "james bond" name and logo in it is as useless as.. well, as in a Craig movie (I said it).

Benicio Del Toro is terrific in it, yes. I'm possibly not sensitive enough to male charm to find him gorgeous (or just have weird tastes - the only actors I actually find handsome are Coburn and Kinsky), but I found him fascinatingly disturbing, even a bit disgusting. Memorable anyway, and I'm very happy that he became such a cinema name. And Robert Davi is excellent. But I'm not fond of this Felix Leiter (I always magined that character as a CIA equivalent to Bond, so Jack Lord, despite the hair color, or Ric van Nutter felt more satisfying for me). And the sleazy televangelist was a bit boring in my eyes, I was just amused by how he reminded me of Rael, the leader of an UFO cult that I had studied a bit back then.

And yes, I always forget that this title song exists, even while I listen to it. Terribly boring. Possibly the worst Bond title song, despite Madonna's valiant effort to beat it.

Also it's one of the few Bond movies I've re-watched recently (accidentally : I just wanted to check a scene and I got stuck in t, which does say something for it as a movie). And I did find it very cringeworthy when it came to gender, with Bond's general patronizing attitude, and stuff like Bond's double take when Pam Bouvier glamors up her style. Reminds me of the logic of sex comedies where the girl becomes sexy by losing her glasses, or something. But... but but but... I've re-watched a couple older Bond films since, and revised so much my judgement on them (god how my favorite films were shite) that I really don't trust my own judgement on Bond movies anymore, and I guess sexism is still comparatively tame here. For me it was always a balance between a film's age and its politics, I'm way more forgiving as the films are more ancient, but even with adjusted standards, I'm horrified by the likes of You Only Live Twice. Really puts stuff in perspective.

Anyway. I usually stress how I lose interest after A View To A Kill, but Goldeneye is an interesting exception. Looking forward to that review.

Reactions: thebobmaster

thebobmaster

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 5, 2020
Country
United States
Ah. Yeah. Two reasons why I generally forget the Dalton movies. The actor doesn't do it for me. And the Licence to Kill plot... it just feels like a generic revenge flick, or some Miami Vice episode. It's like those experimental Columbo episodes based on McBain novels, where you have Columbo run around with a gun or whatnot. It's just something else.

At least, I appreciate that it has a coherent plot, I don't find it dragging. I wish more Bond movies consisted in investigations instead of disjointed action setpieces artificially tied together (98% of the franchise running time). So it's not a bad film, it just feels outside the Bond genre, the "james bond" name and logo in it is as useless as.. well, as in a Craig movie (I said it).

Benicio Del Toro is terrific in it, yes. I'm possibly not sensitive enough to male charm to find him gorgeous (or just have weird tastes - the only actors I actually find handsome are Coburn and Kinsky), but I found him fascinatingly disturbing, even a bit disgusting. Memorable anyway, and I'm very happy that he became such a cinema name. And Robert Davi is excellent. But I'm not fond of this Felix Leiter (I always magined that character as a CIA equivalent to Bond, so Jack Lord, despite the hair color, or Ric van Nutter felt more satisfying for me). And the sleazy televangelist was a bit boring in my eyes, I was just amused by how he reminded me of Rael, the leader of an UFO cult that I had studied a bit back then.

And yes, I always forget that this title song exists, even while I listen to it. Terribly boring. Possibly the worst Bond title song, despite Madonna's valiant effort to beat it.

Also it's one of the few Bond movies I've re-watched recently (accidentally : I just wanted to check a scene and I got stuck in t, which does say something for it as a movie). And I did find it very cringeworthy when it came to gender, with Bond's general patronizing attitude, and stuff like Bond's double take when Pam Bouvier glamors up her style. Reminds me of the logic of sex comedies where the girl becomes sexy by losing her glasses, or something. But... but but but... I've re-watched a couple older Bond films since, and revised so much my judgement on them (god how my favorite films were shite) that I really don't trust my own judgement on Bond movies anymore, and I guess sexism is still comparatively tame here. For me it was always a balance between a film's age and its politics, I'm way more forgiving as the films are more ancient, but even with adjusted standards, I'm horrified by the likes of You Only Live Twice. Really puts stuff in perspective.

Anyway. I usually stress how I lose interest after A View To A Kill, but Goldeneye is an interesting exception. Looking forward to that review.
I feel like a lot of Bond's patronizing attitude towards Pam was less sexism and more "This is something I need to do myself", given how he treats Q in much the same way. Outside of the post--bar/boat scene, which I read more as Bond using anger to hide his concern that he'd gotten one of Felix's allies killed.

I agree with most of what you said, especially in regards to this feeling more like a violent Miami Vice episode.

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
The Pope's Exorcist on Netflix

I mostly watched this as a thank you to Russell Crowe for doing an interview with the Critical Drinker. So, I've done my share for his Netflix numbers!

I saw The Exorcist when I was a kid and it scared the living daylights out of me. It had sequels that were not good.
I'd put this one above the sequels. Still not as good as an Evil Dead movie but had almost as many gross out moments.

Crowe plays Father Gabriele Amorth, a real life Exorcist and author. A little boy is possessed and its up to Father to exorcise the demon.

The end has a title screen that reads, "Father Gabriele Amorth continued to serve the afflicted until his death in Rome in 2016 and wrote many books.

The books are good.
Such enthusiasm!

It's a C-. Good background noise.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl