Discuss and Rate the Last Film You Watched

Is this the first poll?

• Total voters

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
That is my favorite part about the film.

Exactly why I said, fun but forgettable. The fact that you can only do CG monster destroy empty building so many times gets old real fast. Rampage (2018) I had way more fun and found more memorable.
For me, Rampage is in the same boat. The only thing I remember about that film, is going to see it with my god daughter, and her priceless one liner joke at the end. She's a very serious little girl. She was...I guess around 7-8 at that time when the film came out? And at the end, when The Rock is standing in all the rubble and says "I need a drink." My god daughter, with zero hesitation, in the most PERFECT deadpan tone said "I think EVERYONE needs a drink after that." And I just lost it. I was giggling next to her for a good 2-3 minutes. Stuff about the film itself though? Honestly nothing really sticks out as memorable. So Uprising is slightly higher in comparison, as there are a few bits, namely my above mentioned part, that actually does persist with me.

Rampage was fine, but nothing I'd really bother seeing again. Uprising, I wouldn't mind if it came on randomly.

Reactions: BrawlMan

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I think the Wachowski Sister's embrace sincerity and and unapologetic romanticism more than any other big directors in current American cinema. I always like to say that the real redpill is that everything they've made after the Matrix movies was better than the Matrix movies, even the first one. I even thought Jupiter Ascending, an extremely underapreciated space opera fantasy movie they made after Cloud Atlas, was still more fun than Matrix. I think Cloud Atlas stands as their masterpiece and basically the purest example of what defines the more recent stretch of their career. It's something very much in the vain of old Hollywood epics, something with an incredibly sprawling scale and scope to it. This really pure, distilled example of what's basically the defining theme of all of their movies, good, decent people rebelling against inhumane forces of control and oppression and in Cloud Atlas they have this narrative playing out over several distinct time periods that kind of interweave and inform each other to tell an epic tale about the inevitable triumph of the human spirit. It's all very romantic and idealistic but in being so it provides a sense of genuine joy and exuberance that you simply don't find elsewhere in modern movies.
Well, thanks for that, though I can't share your appreciation of this particular film. It just lacked the cohesion necessary for me to consume the "story" in any tolerable way. Maybe I need to watch it again, kinda like doing the border of a puzzle first and before diving into the meatier substance in the middle, but at 3 hours, I'm struggling to find the will to sit through it again. But I do appreciate your take on it; gives me a different lens through which to view it.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Well, thanks for that, though I can't share your appreciation of this particular film. It just lacked the cohesion necessary for me to consume the "story" in any tolerable way. Maybe I need to watch it again, kinda like doing the border of a puzzle first and before diving into the meatier substance in the middle, but at 3 hours, I'm struggling to find the will to sit through it again. But I do appreciate your take on it; gives me a different lens through which to view it.
Out of curiosity, have you watched their tv show in netflix Sense8? I mentioned it above. If you haven't, I would highly recommend it. It's great. Or, well, *I* think it's great. YMMV of course.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Out of curiosity, have you watched their tv show in netflix Sense8? I mentioned it above. If you haven't, I would highly recommend it. It's great. Or, well, *I* think it's great. YMMV of course.
I watched the first season when if first came out a few years ago, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but didn't realize it had additional seasons; I thought it didn't get picked up. Might have to catch up with it; l'll have to start over since I haven't seen it in forever.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
For me, Rampage is in the same boat. The only thing I remember about that film, is going to see it with my god daughter, and her priceless one liner joke at the end. She's a very serious little girl. She was...I guess around 7-8 at that time when the film came out? And at the end, when The Rock is standing in all the rubble and says "I need a drink." My god daughter, with zero hesitation, in the most PERFECT deadpan tone said "I think EVERYONE needs a drink after that." And I just lost it. I was giggling next to her for a good 2-3 minutes. Stuff about the film itself though? Honestly nothing really sticks out as memorable. So Uprising is slightly higher in comparison, as there are a few bits, namely my above mentioned part, that actually does persist with me.

Rampage was fine, but nothing I'd really bother seeing again. Uprising, I wouldn't mind if it came on randomly.
I remember, you told me that story before. I appreciate it either way.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I watched the first season when if first came out a few years ago, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but didn't realize it had additional seasons; I thought it didn't get picked up. Might have to catch up with it; l'll have to start over since I haven't seen it in forever.
There is a second season, and then a "movie" to wrap up the series when Netflix abruptly canceled the show. Season 2 left a LOT as cliffhangers, and luckily there was enough push from the fanbase, to convince Netflix to fund a final film to wrap it all up. I've yet to watch that, but the 2 seasons were really good for me. Some of the most enjoyable TV I've seen in years.

I remember, you told me that story before. I appreciate it either way.
Yeah that's fine, I'm not saying don't appreciate it. Just for me, it didn't have a lot of weight. Rampage was a fun game, but nothing that stirs nostalgia for me that much. So the film, while fun, was just a film. Which is fine, if I enjoyed the time/money I spent seeing a film, then I consider it "good". I didn't end that film thinking "I could've spent this $20 on like, a video game and get 30+ hours of enjoyment out of it." I had fun, left the theater, job done. Which frankly, if most films are that good, I consider it a good thing.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Yeah that's fine, I'm not saying don't appreciate it. Just for me, it didn't have a lot of weight. Rampage was a fun game, but nothing that stirs nostalgia for me that much. So the film, while fun, was just a film. Which is fine, if I enjoyed the time/money I spent seeing a film, then I consider it "good". I didn't end that film thinking "I could've spent this $20 on like, a video game and get 30+ hours of enjoyment out of it." I had fun, left the theater, job done. Which frankly, if most films are that good, I consider it a good thing.
I was referring to you and your God daughters experience, not Rampage itself. I appreciate you telling me the story again. Still had a good laugh.

Reactions: happyninja42

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
I enjoyed Cloud Atlas just fine. It felt a lot like the sort of early inspiration for their premise of Sense8. The shared souls joined concept. And I've always enjoyed their films, though I haven't seen Jupiter Ascending. Everything else the Wachowski's have done, I've enjoyed a great deal. Like, Sense8 I just fucking love. That first season had some genuinely wonderful parts for me. I freely admit I'm a sucker for the "we are stronger together" concept of stortytelling, and that's the entire fucking premise of Sense8. The idea of those people, all sharing their lives, and stepping in to help each other when they need it, by applying their unique set of skills, and how terrifying they can be when working in unison, was just so much freaking catnip for me. Cloud Atlas, while I found it ultimately forgettable, since I'm sitting here and unable to really recall too many details about it, I still enjoyed it a lot.
Yes, I liked Sense8 a lot too. I thought it should have had a bit more focus on the overarching plot and less on the individual characters personal arcs but then again, part of what made it so enjoyable was the genuine compassion it had for each member of its ensemble cast. I wrote about it on the old forum: Sense8 felt like a relic from a slightly better version of our world. The way it portrayed these very different people from all over the world as something closer than family was beautiful. It was so sincere. It just broke into that landscape of auteur driven television projects wearing flowers in its hair and waving a pride flag. Wish it would have had more than two seasons.

Reactions: happyninja42

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yes, I liked Sense8 a lot too. I thought it should have had a bit more focus on the overarching plot and less on the individual characters personal arcs but then again, part of what made it so enjoyable was the genuine compassion it had for each member of its ensemble cast. I wrote about it on the old forum: Sense8 felt like a relic from a slightly better version of our world. The way it portrayed these very different people from all over the world as something closer than family was beautiful. It was so sincere. It just broke into that landscape of auteur driven television projects wearing flowers in its hair and waving a pride flag. Wish it would have had more than two seasons.
Yeah, I wish it had lasted longer myself. I do prefer it's focus on the group, instead of the larger plot, though I think the plan was to shift towards that more, going forward with season 3, given how 2 ends. It just...you know...got canceled xD

I wanted more Leto. Leto was my joy in that show. I really envy that actor, being able to ham it up as much he could, given he was playing a Telemundo actor, so they just threw away all sense of reservation and restraint with his scenes, and just let him be a complete fool. Which was just glorious. The 2 scenes I remember the most are when he confronts Juaqeen in season 1, and then has his dramatic meltdown in the plaza to be a distraction so the others could escape. That was just hilarious. I also really wanted to see him go back to try and do a film after the fallout of him being outed as gay, and for his director to just not give a shit. Given the scene in season 1, where Leto is having an emotional day, and the director is like "I don't need you to be YOU right now, I need you to be THIS guy ok? " And Leto was like *sniffs* "Ok" and then just crushes it as Badass CopMan, to the utter delight of the director. I was SO wanting a scene where Leto expects the guy to be homophobic, and the director to be like *blink* "Why do I give a shit who you fuck? I don't need you to be YOU, I need you to be THIS guy, so can you be THIS guy for me Leto?" *Leto blinks in shock, and then grins* "Oh yes, I can be THAT guy." "GREAT!! NOW QUIET ON THE SET!!!"
Sadly, that will just have to exist in my headcanon, but oh well, it would've been a fun scene to me.

Damn, I really need to rewatch that show now. It's been a while.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Okja

It was pretty neat to watch a movie with such a family friendly, feel-good premise be presented with such explicit imagery. It really does not sugar coat the whole meat industry aspect. And Bong Joon Ho really seems to have a lot of versatility, excelling in both drama, thiller, and action. Jake Gyllenhaal got a little too wacky though. Can't say I loved this film, but I was thoroughly entertained throughout.

I'm Thinking About Ending Things

I really, really liked this movie, but its bleak as fuck message doesn't make me want to think about it too much. It's shot and edited incredibly well, and despite the movie being mostly conversations between two characters I was totally riveted from beginning to end. I especially liked the scenes in the car. And I am glad Charlie Kaufman didn't indulge in his typical 'woe is me, because I hate people, but I'm addicted to being in a relationship' routine that most of his scripts tend to have. Probably because it was based on a book. So yeah, terrific movie, but people who suffer easily from depression probably shouldn't watch it.

Reactions: Johnny Novgorod

Baffle

Elite Member
Oct 22, 2016
Gangster Squad. Not a bad film at all, though it's no The Untouchables (which I mention because it's basically a re-make of The Untouchables). Whatever prosthesis they used for Sean Penn's face was just irritating and distracting though -- looked exactly like Sean Penn wearing a rubber face.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
The Quarry

A very basic modern noir tale about a drifter who murders a priest on the road and then takes his place in a small town. The situation is then more or less put on hold for the next 90 minutes, with very few and very slow developments. Right off the bat the whole thing looks amateurish; I knew it wasn't gonna be very good when we were already getting flashbacks in the very first scene of the movie to things that had happened only minutes ago in the same scene. But hey, Shea Wigham gets the lead for once in his life. And I'll watch Michael Shannon in anything.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Weekend at Bernie's

I'm not really sure why I decided to watch it. I don't really watch movies, but the premise sounded interesting. It was extremely stupid, but not altogether terrible; I did end up laughing a bit. I don't think it has a very good ending. Our protagonists really don't deserve the happy ending they got. We don't see any repercussion for their reckless, selfish, dangerous, illegal, and deplorable actions throughout the film. That the one guy still gets his love interest is the most baffling thing. He's lied to her throughout the film and then she finds out that he's been walking a corpse around for 2 days and it doesn't bother her at all. It would have been better if our protagonists learned that Bernie hired a hitman to kill them immediately after finding the corpse, because as it is their actions the whole first night have no justification.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Weekend at Bernie's

I'm not really sure why I decided to watch it. I don't really watch movies, but the premise sounded interesting. It was extremely stupid, but not altogether terrible; I did end up laughing a bit. I don't think it has a very good ending. Our protagonists really don't deserve the happy ending they got. We don't see any repercussion for their reckless, selfish, dangerous, illegal, and deplorable actions throughout the film. That the one guy still gets his love interest is the most baffling thing. He's lied to her throughout the film and then she finds out that he's been walking a corpse around for 2 days and it doesn't bother her at all. It would have been better if our protagonists learned that Bernie hired a hitman to kill them immediately after finding the corpse, because as it is their actions the whole first night have no justification.
What about the chick who fucked his rotting corpse?

Yeah, that sentence sounds a lot less funny than the movie portrays it as, doesn't it?

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
What about the chick who fucked his rotting corpse?

Yeah, that sentence sounds a lot less funny than the movie portrays it as, doesn't it?
Yeah, I'm not even sure how that worked. Though I suppose after the blood coagulates it might be stiff enough, but I really don't know much, and honestly I've now thought about this far more than I've ever wanted to. Which was not at all.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Yeah, I'm not even sure how that worked. Though I suppose after the blood coagulates it might be stiff enough, but I really don't know much, and honestly I've now thought about this far more than I've ever wanted to. Which was not at all.
There's a sequel, you know.