Disney Acquires Lucasfilm

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
Hah. Some people are already regretting ever calling George washed up and condemning the prequels to hell. Will they stick with their guns and call this as a turn for the better, or embrace the prequels going into the future to spite Disney?

Dragoon

Jan 19, 2010
Not sure if I'm okay with this but hey at least it can't be worse than the prequels...

saintdane05

Aug 2, 2011
<quote=Ignorant People>
ZOMG! STAR WARS HAS BEEN DEAAAADDD!!! DAMN YOU LUCAS!!!!1111!!!!1!!ONE! HAN SHOT FIRST!

You have heard of something called the Expanded Universe? New Jedi Order? Yuzan Vhong war? Empire of the Hand? Darth Plagueis? Ben Solo? Dark Forces: Jedi Knight II: Jei Outcast? Star Wars: Bounty Hunter? Darth Bane? Legacy Era? The surprisingly kick ass TV show? Those things? Its not just the movies and games, ya know...

Han never "Shot First". In the original cut, Greedo Never shot.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
A thought just occurred to me: Disney owns "The Muppets"... Disney owns "Star Wars"... Jim Henson Co. Could definitely make puppets for Star Wars 7! And if their darker puppets are successful, maybe Jim Henson Co. can make their Dark Crystal Sequel.

OT: Not a fan of Star Wars but this does leave me with a lot of questions: Is the Star Wars: The Clone Wars Cartoon and the Star Wars Robot Chicken Special owned by Disney now? Can Robot Chicken do more Star Wars skits? Will Star Wars 4-6 be in KH3 now? A Star Wars Reboot that's Animated?! The possibilities are endless with Disney owning LucasArts/Lucasfilms.

N3squ1ck said:
I totally don't like how Disney is eating up every other company and getting bigger and bigger?
I find it scary anyways.
Oh, I would not be worried. LucasFilms might have 2 huge franchises under their belt (Indiana Jones and Star Wars), but that's it, and with Indiana Jones done, LucasFilms only has Star Wars. Disney acquiring Lucasfilms is basically like Disney acquiring the rights to Star Wars, that's all really. Same with them owning Jim Henson Co,: It's basically them having acquired "The Muppets" plus some minor films that weren't as popular as "The Muppets" Franchise.

Their acquiring of Marvel was them getting bigger, but since they've churned good movie after good movie, that can be forgiven.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
DVS BSTrD said:
I guess you could say Star Wars fans might just have...

*puts on sunglasses*

...A New Hope
Congratulations. I hope you feel good about that one mate. No sarcasm, I somehow didn't think it up ):

ot: Could be good for the franchise to be honest but I'm not that huge of a fan anyway. I predict an actual Deathstar in the near future though.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
This kinda sounds like what happened to the Halo franchise. All I can say is, suck it Star Wars fanboys. Now you get to feel my pain.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011

Guys, I think we're overeacting. Have we forgotten how good Avengers was under Disney? They can totally pull this off. Whether they're going to however, is the question. And I'll sure be looking forward to it whether it explodes or just plain bombs.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
O_O

HOLY #@$%.

I didn't expect this.

I am not if this will be a good or bad thing. >_>

capta: Skynet knows

._.

WHAT DO YOU KNOW SKYNET!?! TELL US YOUR SECRETS? D:

Kekkonen1

Nov 8, 2010
Is it some kind of obscure american joke-holiday in october that I dont know of?

Seriously though, Disney haven't produced anything good since the lion king and Lucas since Episode 6 so this is like the partnership made in crap-hell.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
Disney shits out horrible sequels... Oh god they're gonna ruin everything.

But maybe disney will put out the original unedited trilogy since the fat guy won't

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Anachronism said:
Now, more seriously. Why? Why Episode 7? What is the point? As much as people tend to hate the prequels, the saga as it currently stands tells one consistent story: the rise, fall and redemption of Anakin Skywalker.
SW was never about "the rise and fall of Anakin Skywalker". The original trilogy was Luke's story through and through - it was never Anakin's. That was something Lucas wanted to push when he made the Prequel Trilogy, and he's spent enough time trying to convince people of this latter goal that most people still don't believe him.

That, and Lucas had (at one point) intended the series to be a series of 9 films, with Episode 6 ending with the Millennium Falcon blowing up and Luke walking off into the Tatooine desert.

I get the feeling that Lucas (due to a combination of the fans loathing him/no family members willing to take up the mantle of running the company) just decided to wash his hands and be rid of it. Aside from Clone Wars, has there even been a truly great piece of Star Wars media in the last five years?

TOR was a disaster, and Galaxies fell before it. Battlefront 3 had so much promise, but was never released. TFU and its sequel were good-to-terrible Expanded Universe tales. The series has been in a coma ever since ROTS, and that film had a ton of problems.

I see this partnership only as a good thing. If they can revamp it and put out another solid trilogy, I'll be in the theatre watching.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Even though this is Disney we are talking about here... I'd be genuinely surprised if they were able to do a worse job than the man himself did.

Because my god, the Prequel Trilogy was just about as bad as it could conceivably have been. I mean of course you could imagine it being worse, but the prequel trilogy as it was released was as bad as it could have been released without crossing the line of totally inability for even the lowest common denominator to swallow.

Who knows... they might find a way to make it as shocking as Transformers. Depends if they put a Star Wars fan in charge of it or a "money fan" because I think they plan on making back that $4 billion they paid for it pretty quick.

TheSYLOH

Feb 5, 2010
I felt a great disturbance in the Force, as if millions of nerds were suddenly silenced and then cried out in joy. I think something wonderful has happened.

Star Wars is now out of Georges hands, so the good parts might be preserved with out needless edits and rewrites, and we might actually get some Good content.
Seriously if their rebooting everything why not reboot the prequel trilogy?
Then we can declare the existing mess non-canon and pretend midi-chlorians never existed.

Paradoxrifts

Jan 17, 2010
I do not look foreward to looking back at the George Lucas era as a period of 'refined dignity' once Disney is finished with it.

Happy to be proven wrong!

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
I'm all for it if it's movie versions of the X-Wing novels. I'd particularly like to see Wedge piloting a starfighter with an Ewok toy tied to him as 'Ketch'. And to actually see some of these Bothan cat-xenos, because I can't decide in my head if they look like FFXI's Mithra, or Wing Commander's Kilrathi.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Kekkonen1 said:
Is it some kind of obscure american joke-holiday in october that I dont know of?

Seriously though, Disney haven't produced anything good since the lion king and Lucas since Episode 6 so this is like the partnership made in crap-hell.
They haven't, but properties they own have.

For example Miramax was owned by disney when it made Reservoir Dogs, Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill films.

Disney has owned Pixar since 2006.

They own 80% of ESPN.

They also own Marvel Studios that made the Avengers series.

Disney is like Zenimax, they don't make stuff, they own companies who make stuff.

The important thing is not so much that Disney is running LucasFilm... the important thing is that George Lucas ISN'T!!

Jun 5, 2012
scorptatious said:
I guess I should be surprised at this development, but I'm not.

Over at Disneyland there is a section of Tommorowland dedicated to Star Wars. A (awesome) ride, gift shop, and a stage show in which people dressed up as jedi masters and Darth Vader teach little kids how to be jedi.

I'd figure it was only a matter of time before Disney finally acquired Star Wars as it's own.

And frankly I'm okay with this. From what I've seen and heard, George Lucas has kinda screwed up the franchise with his weird edits to the original films, among other things. (I'm okay with the prequels for the most part) So perhaps by giving the series to someone else, someone could take Star Wars into a new, possibly better direction. At least that's how I see things anyway.
They could not do any worse. If the movie's they release are of a lower quality then the prequels then they will be in So Bad Its Good territory and if they are better...well then there better. Lucas hit the bottom of the bell curve of bad with the prequels as they were both not good and not bad enough to be funny how bad they are.