Disney Closes LucasArts

Xarathox

Feb 12, 2013
Well... I's a sad. Some of my favorite games came from that studio. And I still don't know what to make of Disney's acquisition of all the Lucas things. Maybe they can breath new life into the stale Star Wars franchise... but I'm not getting my hopes up.

Slyaap

Feb 19, 2013
I don't understand the logic, I really don't. Everywhere I read of people begging for the next Kotor, or the next Battlefront, or even another Star Wars flight simulator.
Disney wouldn't know what to do with all the money they would make from people like me flinging cash at them for the next Monkey Island.
If they take the time to research on the net how popular these games would be, they would see it instantly. Why the hell did they then close Lucasarts? I'm genuinely upset at this. What the hell is wrong with some people?

What is this?!

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
"LucasArts, a studio that was once among the top developers in the business"

Yep loved those fun and engaging adventure games but then they decided to rape Star Wars and eventually fell to the dark side :(

I'm surprised at how disconnected from their fans these people are. Seriously people would worship you if you announced KOTOR3, new Jedi Academy, Battlefront, Monkey Island or Grim Fandango but noooooooo.....

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Cameron Everett said:
VladG said:
Ehh... Nothing they've made since KotOR has been any good so I don't really lament the loss of the studio. I imagine most of the people that have been behind their awesome previous games have left a long time ago.
They didn't make KotOR that was Bioware, they just nodded and said "go forth and make us money". But I'm sure Disney will still control the IP's until the either decide to sell them or whore them out to game studio x.

They didn't make a lot of stuff that was licensed to other studios. I doubt they had no say whatsoever over those games though.

And in the end, if you're going to stick your name on something, you are responsible for that something.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
While this is sad I can't say I'm not really surprised. Lucas Arts really lost their A game a long time ago and I guess at this point they were considered a liability. While I'm sad that those people lost their jobs and that 1313 has been cancelled, but I like to keep hope that Disney will be smart and will sell off the IPs to other companies. Maybe Tim Schafer can finally get Grim Fandango back. :D

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
Slyaap said:
I don't understand the logic, I really don't. Everywhere I read of people begging for the next Kotor, or the next Battlefront, or even another Star Wars flight simulator.
Disney wouldn't know what to do with all the money they would make from people like me flinging cash at them for the next Monkey Island.
If they take the time to research on the net how popular these games would be, they would see it instantly. Why the hell did they then close Lucasarts? I'm genuinely upset at this. What the hell is wrong with some people?

What is this?!
Fate hates Battlefront 3 and games popular in the 90's and early 2000's. Why do you think that almost every reboot of a 10+ year old franchise completely abandons the things that made the original popular in the first place?

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Disney, if ever there was a shred of humanity in you or these twisted creatures of yours, it's dead now. You're at war with gaming itself. You are enemies of the internet... your Empire is doomed.

...Okay, okay, considering the state LucasArts has been in for the past decade or so, it's not as bad as all that. But I never wanted it to die. I wanted it to go back to being a game developer rather than a vampire dedicated to draining what little vital fluids remain in Star Wars's vegetative corpse because it'd forgotten how else to live. The Disney acquisition had me hopeful that it might finally see this day, if only because there was officially no more chance of that left under Lucas's management, but alas, it was not to be.

Blindrooster

Jul 13, 2009
I could cry. Everything Disney has done with the star wars name since they bought it has only upset me. We should do a kickstarter to buy star wars from disney....

Gatx

Jul 7, 2011
Man, there was a point early on when I only cared about Star Wars videogames - Jedi Outcast, Rogue Leader, Bounty Hunter, etc. Those really were the glory days (for me anyway, I wasn't around for the adventure game stuff), but alas.

MrPeanut said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Wait, does this mean no Battlefront 3?

Dear deities in Heaven, say this is not the end for Battlefront 3!!!!
Battlefront 3 was canceled like years ago.
Yeah but there was that stuff about a shooter called First Assault, and if that did well they'd go ahead with Battlefront 3 (I don't understand the logic there myself, I thought they should've just called it Battlefront 3 since the gameplay was the same) but that's scrapped along with 1313 apparently.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
Slyaap said:

What is this?!
If I had to guess, they'll just farm those titles out... eventually. Disney is retaining all the rights to those titles so they could easily just get another developer to make it, one with a better recent track record.

Before that happens though, I'm afraid to say I think the next games we'll see from these franchises will be cheap tie in games for the new star wars movies.

MPerce

May 29, 2011
There goes another historic game studio. Tis a shame.

To be fair, I'm not gonna miss the current iteration of LucasArts much, seeing as how they haven't put out an in-house game that was good in ages. But I still must mourn their passing, because they gave us some real classics. Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle, and of course, TIE Fighter. I wouldn't be a gamer if it wasn't for that masterpiece. It defined my childhood, and I owe them a lot for that.

And so, to the honorable creators of TIE Fighter, I bid you adieu. Thanks for the memories.

Xathos

Jun 7, 2010
Wow, a shame. 1313 looked really, really good. Was looking forward to playing it eventually since I assumed they had been working on it for quite some time. Now I am a sad ewok. =(

Gitty101

Jan 22, 2010
That is sad, but not entirely unexpected. I'm really bummed about 1313 though, looked as though it could have been really good. Here's hoping that Disney will actually capitalize on the Star Wars IP and use it to make awesome games.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
Wow.

Just... Wow.

No "let's bring back old franchises before they started milking the cow" or "let's keep the good star wars games going."

Just "fuck it, it's done for."

Wow.

I gotta give it to you Disney... You have balls.

arbitterm

Mar 31, 2010
Coming this fall: Disney's? Star Wars?: Jedi Mickey? a fun new game for the whole family! Join Mickey Mouse? as he journey's to a Galaxy Far Far Away? to join his pals Qui Gon Goofy? and Darth Duck? to save the galaxy!???$$$???

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
I'm feeling 50/50 on it. On the one hand Lucas Arts and I had so many fond memories together. They still had a few bits of talent to pop out as well (in my opinion) they just needed the right direction and I really feel bad for all of the displaced employees. At the same time I also know that developing in house is usually a risk. As a publisher you can have someone else develop games for your IPs and then when they suck you can blame the developer, just look at EA pushing all the blame on Maxis (or rather forcing Maxis to take it). So financially this might be the right move for them.

I will continue to withhold my judgement about this acquisition until I see some products of it.

Reyalsfeihc

Jun 12, 2010
FamoFunk said:
I hate hearing news about people losing their jobs. Sad. I really love Monkey Island, too
While this is true, it wouldn't be the first time that The Escapist put a thread post on hold to take the source and write up a news article about it. There's been multiple cases where a forum post won't be approved until a few minutes after they take the source and write an article.

OT: I... I can't believe we lost them... all the podracing, starship piloting, potentially great rated-M star wars game making goodness that was LucasArts [except for that Kinect thing, obviously].

(Edit): Part of me is glad that other studios can finally begin developing games in the StarWars universe, as this means pet projects won't get in the way of redeveloping sequels to old classics. I just hope Disney isn't trying to drag StarWars into the realm of "family-friendly" in order to simply sell more merchandise.