Disney Closes LucasArts

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Hmm, maybe if some incredibly talented developers have been let go, maybe some more deserving IP's are about to get better resources. I'm not saying Lucas Arts was bad, I'm just saying it was rare to see a game from them that meant anything to me over the past decade.

Mar 30, 2010
Ironically, one of the last LucasArts titles I truly enjoyed was Afterlife. For a company that (for me at least) pretty much defined 90's gaming they really have had their foot off the gas for the last fifteen years.

Still, shame about those people getting laid off.

INeedAName

Feb 16, 2011
... And nothing of value was lost. Don't get me wrong, I like some of their published games as much as the next (Monkey Island and Kotor, especially) but they were developed by different studios and LucasArts themselves have been creatively dead since forever.

Edit: Of course, sucks for the people who lost their jobs :/

Hopefully they'll be able to pick up something else.

Dark Knifer

May 12, 2009
So now the question is will Disney do something with the many Ip's or just keep doing the same thing and do nothing interesting. My bet's unfortunately on the latter with the state of things apart from some tie ins with the new star wars movies.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
Grouchy Imp said:
Ironically, one of the last LucasArts titles I truly enjoyed was Afterlife. For a company that (for me at least) pretty much defined 90's gaming they really have had their foot off the gas for the last fifteen years.
Something to think about. I'm not sure how they got so bad. It's like everything "Lucas" got flipped upside down at the same time.

Yes, it's a shame for them individually but I really hope this means a better development landscape elsewhere in game development world where the best of those laid off get picked up quickly.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
I was looking forward to 1313. And Battlefront 3. Oh my god I'll never see another Battlefront game. Die you mouse loving pricks. DIE!

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Gatx said:
Man, there was a point early on when I only cared about Star Wars videogames - Jedi Outcast, Rogue Leader, Bounty Hunter, etc. Those really were the glory days (for me anyway, I wasn't around for the adventure game stuff), but alas.

MrPeanut said:
CrazyCapnMorgan said:
Wait, does this mean no Battlefront 3?

Dear deities in Heaven, say this is not the end for Battlefront 3!!!!
Battlefront 3 was canceled like years ago.
Yeah but there was that stuff about a shooter called First Assault, and if that did well they'd go ahead with Battlefront 3 (I don't understand the logic there myself, I thought they should've just called it Battlefront 3 since the gameplay was the same) but that's scrapped along with 1313 apparently.
From what I understand, First Assault was supposed to be a smaller scale (more like CoD than classic Battlefield in terms of campaign and multiplayer modes) game that was mainly a platform to test a new engine, which would then be used as the platform that Battlefront 3 would be built on. Realistically, that's the only part of modern Lucasarts that I'm sad to see go. Thinking back, pretty much all of the games from them I cared about back in the day were made by another dev and just published by Lucasarts. The only two games I know for sure were developed in house were Dark Forces and the first Jedi Knight -- the other two games in that series were farmed out to another studio. I guess the Rebel Assault games may have also been done in house? Because I know the X-Wing series was done by Totally Games, and those are the three big Lucasarts games I played as a kid. The two series I've liked since then have been done by Bioware/Obsidian and Pandemic.

Basically, Lucasarts was only a great /developer/ back in their Adventure game heyday and maybe for a few years after that. Essentially everything good they've put out since Jedi Knight they just published, not developed.

Breywood

Jun 22, 2011
I agree with the sentiments of many of the posters here. I haven't heard of a decent game from them in forever, but those classic titles like Maniac Mansion, X-Wing, TIE Fighter, Full Throttle, Rebel Assault, Day of the Tentacle and Zak McKracken are some of the most cherished titles in my collection.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
This probably wouldn't have been necessary if LucasArts hadn't been limiting themselves to only doing Star Wars related projects.

Thoric485

Aug 17, 2008
If that happened 10 years ago, I'd be pretty pissed.

But nowadays, after everything that went down with Free Radical, I don't think putting them down is much of a loss.

GAunderrated

Jul 9, 2012
I'm actually not even upset by this. Between TFU:2, star wars kinnect, and whatever other shovelware they have been peddling these past years they had it coming.

Am I sad about not seeing Jedi Knight 4, another KoTR, or BF3? You bet your ass I am. However, let's be realistic here for a second. Lucasarts had YEARS to do anything with these titles other than shelving them and didn't do shit with those IP's.

Disney didn't deprive you of these titles, Lucasarts deprived you of those titles and disney rightly put them out of their misery.

Mar 26, 2008
That's really bad news. They've provided me with hours and hours and entertainment over the decades. I have alwasy held out hope for a sequel to Full Throttle. Condolences to the staff now out of a job.

Do4600

Oct 16, 2007
Andy Shandy said:
Don't you mean "The Final Straw"?

I really don't give a damn about Lucasarts anymore, their magic lasted for ten years from 1989 to 1999(Coincidence? Fuck no!) then they faded, the last game I bought of theirs was Battlefront 2, everything after that was the wail of a dying, bleeding beast, lego games and dance games? How do you go from Star Wars: Tie Fighter and Full Throttle to Angry Birds: Star Wars and Kinect Star Wars? Your parent company makes shit movies that's how.

Episode 1 ruined everything.

Sewer Rat

Sep 14, 2008
Goodnight sweet Game Producer, and flights of Star Wars cash ins sing thee to thy rest.
Honestly though, despite their pedigree, recently they just haven't put out anything worth a damn with the arguable exception of the Battlefront series which were mostly done by Pandemic (RIP) anyway.

Mar 30, 2010
Lightknight said:
Grouchy Imp said:
Something to think about. I'm not sure how they got so bad. It's like everything "Lucas" got flipped upside down at the same time.

Yes, it's a shame for them individually but I really hope this means a better development landscape elsewhere in game development world where the best of those laid off get picked up quickly.
Had the layoffs happened ten years ago I have no doubt that other developers would snap up those 150 staff members in short order. The problem is that LucasArts has done little in the last decade except re-hash the same few StarWars and Indiana Jones games, so is there really anything a dev can look at to say "Yes! I want the people responsible for 'insert title here' on our payroll!" ? Unfortunately, probably not.

kael013

Jun 12, 2010
*ahem*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Now that that is out of the way, let's get serious.

Disney, what was the point of buying the studio if you were just going to shut it down? It just wasted your money, rid you of 150 people who would have made whatever you told them to (was honestly expecting an Episode 7 tie-in/cashgrab), and showed the gaming world you have very little understanding of what you're doing.

Plus cancelling [i/]all[/i] LucasArts projects? That was just stupid. Now everyone waiting for 1313 (i.e. roughly 2/3 of the Star Wars fanbase) hates you. You better either start up a Star Wars studio or start letting other studios pick up that game quick -and starting BF3 and Republic Commando 2 while you're at it wouldn't be a bad idea either.