Disney to Buy Marvel Comics

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
Finally, we're going to see family friendly comics in which Cyclops and Jean get married, Galactis teaches the values of eating a healthful and well balanced diet and, the Marvel Zombies fall through the mirror into Wonderland

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
I'll admit, when I first heard the news, it felt like a little piece of my childhood had eaten another little piece of my childhood.

I was left with one distended and bloated piece of childhood.

But really, my only real issue is that the Darker, grittier, and most of all, M-Rated X-Men Origins Wolverine game probably won't be repeated - The devs didn't get Marvel's permission before turning Wolverine into a rampaging monster that rips people to shreds (like he always should have been), but Disney certainly wouldn't let some snotnose game developer do with its new property what should have been done years ago... unless that developer is square-enix, because Kingdom Hearts fuckin' rocked.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
I'd PAY IN BLOOD to see Hanna Montana ripped apart by Blackheart and Mephisto. But apart from that, I don't see any potential entertainment value in this. I'll be in the happy corner with Neonbob. I'll leave you folks with this parting sentiment.

Woem

May 28, 2009
L.B. Jeffries said:
Oh this isn't that bad, Disney owns lots of companies that produce very non-Disney products. Look at Miramax. No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood were both made by them. Same with Kill Bill.

Here, this is the list of all the companies they already own:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney
Exactly, much in the same way that Hasbro (known from Monopoly and Mr. Potato) also owns Dungeons & Dragons.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
I, for one, would also like to see more super hero musicals.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/28343/dr-horribles-sing-along-blog

Dr. Horrible was awesome.

Lenny Magic

Hypochondriacal Calligrapher
Jan 23, 2009
Soon Disney will take over our minds and destroy every last shred of imaginative free thought. Replace it with branding and colour coded programming. Less man and more Disney Princess, THEN WALT DISNEY WILL RISE FROM HIS GRAVE! and the reaping shall begin...

Seriously though people it could have been worse, Rupert Murdock worse...

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
No no no no NO! NO!!!

If the own marvel, that means all those movies they're going to do is going to be making DINSEY the money, and they have HORRIBLE projects. They don't make anything anymore, they have pixar do everything for them. Bastard Eisner had to ruin disney, now that he's gone disney has to ruin everything else! Disney is the EA of other forms of entertainment.

WinterSoldier

Feb 4, 2009
ShadowKirby said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Oh this isn't that bad, Disney owns lots of companies that produce very non-Disney products. Look at Miramax. No Country for Old Men and There Will Be Blood were both made by them. Same with Kill Bill.

Here, this is the list of all the companies they already own:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_Disney
Seriously, I don't understand the whole overreaction to the news. It's not like Spider-Man will turn into a flower loving spider that plays chess with Mickey.
Think again!

Yes, this is what happens when I'm bored at work.

Cosplay Horatio

May 19, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
To all the doom sayers:

Think about it.

Marvel versus Capcom 3...you get to hundred hand slap Mickey.
I don't think Disney would allow for their characters to be brutally defeated by any Marvel and Capcom character. Besides, if they really make fighters out of Disney characters what could Mickey and the gang do against Strider Hiryu, Ryu, Wolverine, B. Hood, and so on and so forth.

theultimateend

Nov 1, 2007
Chipperz said:
Wow, I missed the part where Pulp Fiction was all kiddy. Disney got the rights to Miramax just before that was released, so it must be!

Seriously people, get the fuck over it. All this means is that Marvel gets more funding and easier access to new contacts, and that is a good thing. Or is it just the principle that Vincent and Jules could (by the logic I'm seeing in this thread) team up with the Punisher to take down Mickey Mouse?
Just before it was released would be the critical qualifier.

Westwood Games in development "Just before" acquisition by EA were still good. But CnC 3 and Red Alert 3 were the worst of the series.

I do suspect there will be some negative events to come from this, like people will start dying on marvel inspired rides instead of just disney ones.

Cosplay Horatio said:
The_root_of_all_evil said:
To all the doom sayers:

Think about it.

Marvel versus Capcom 3...you get to hundred hand slap Mickey.
I don't think Disney would allow for their characters to be brutally defeated by any Marvel and Capcom character. Besides, if they really make fighters out of Disney characters what could Mickey and the gang do against Strider Hiryu, Ryu, Wolverine, B. Hood, and so on and so forth.
I watched Donald get the crap beat out of him in Kingdom Hearts, I'm sure they wouldn't mind seeing some of their characters beaten unconscious at the very least.

Hopefully they'll add Hannah Montanna to MvC3.

Eruanno

Captain Hammer
Aug 14, 2008
I... Disney... MARVEL?! MARVEL AND DISNEY!? *Bashes head against table* Nononononono, NO.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
I don't like the thought of Disney sticking its hands into Marvel, which it may not except with collaborations and not oversight. *ya, right* Although the Marvel comics have been on retcon overload, the stories really go nowhere anymore, and the only thing I like about Marvel right now are the movies. Maybe this can turn into a good thing and breathe some sense of originality and life into Marvel.

Blind0bserver

Blatant Narcissist
Mar 31, 2008
I'm going to predict right now, is some kind of format (most likely a Kingdom Hearts game if anything at all), the inevitable WALL-E/Ironman crossover story.

Let's just sit back and see what happens XD

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
I'd be worried, but I've always found Marvel a little...wet, with the exception of Blade and The Punisher; the movies are good but I'm more of a DC, Vertigo, 2000AD person anyway, I prefer the writing style, but overall I do still think this is a bad thing, hopefully Disney will leave it alone for Marvel fans, but going by posts maybe this will be a good thing, so things are more streamlined and there aint a bazillion million retcons anymore, DC sorted theirs out with Infinite/Final Crisis.

Pendragon9

Apr 26, 2009
I can imagine Kingdom Hearts 3 now. Sora and the gang with power suits like Ironman or web flinging like Spiderman.

Yes, we're all screwed. Thank you Disney for purchasing what was left of our childhood. I'm going to sit in the corner now.