District 9 Offends Nigerian Government

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Christ, this thread is full of aggressive people, ain't it?

nilcypher said:
"We feel very bad about this because the film clearly denigrated Nigeria's image by portraying us as if we are cannibals, we are criminals," said Nigerian Information Minister Dora Akunyili,
Can't help but wonder if that was a correction though.

Dioxide20

Aug 11, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
Machines Are Us said:
I think they need to grow the fuck up to put it bluntly.
Not just grow the fuck up, shut the fuck up. It's just a setting, it's not like they had Ms. Akunyili whoring herself off to the aliens on screen. They are just making themselves look stupid, and I fully embrace this.
What these guys said.

Their country sucks and they are trying to make themselves loo better by yelling at movies?

akmarksman

Mar 28, 2008
You would think with the royal family there..there would be money for them to actually hire lawyers..

I'll be a lawyer for Nigeria..just help me deposit $26Million from my royal family. ;)

Brett Alex

Jul 22, 2008
nilcypher said:
That's a genuine quote apparently.
Knight Templar said:
Thats what I thought at first, but alas it's all sadly true. Or the BBC is playing a joke.
That really is ridiculous. How could any government official say "sleeping with extra-terrestrial beings" and keep a straight face?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Well... images don't grow out of thin air, maybe they should look at why the rest of the world finds it acceptable to protray them that way...

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
Reeper0278 said:
Nigeria keeps whining about everyone poking fun at them. All I can say without going mad is stop.
Hmmmm, no, they just keep whining about Sony. They complained about the PS3 adverts before, now they're complaining to Sony about a film that the company produced. However, your point is duly noted, they are just whining now. Complaining about people making fun is just stupid, they're acting like kids in a playground. The best thing the Nigerian government can do is crack down on the criminals that are giving the country a bad name and hope thaqt in time people see the country as better than a few criminals and idiots. Complaining about the outside representation of Nigeria won't change a thing.

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009
Of course it does,it's about racism! In Johanessburg! Racism against aliens,but still...

Smudge91

Jul 30, 2009
Shouldn't it be south africa that are the ones getting annoyed not nigeria, as the film is basically a mirror of the violence against foreign nationals in some part of south africa? Also if the nigerians playing in the film had a problem wouldn't they voice their complaints there. Also the films been out for ages now, the complaint is a tad bit too late really.

Ashbax

Jan 7, 2009
Greyfox105 said:
I just don't know what to say.
I suppose a few things have been aimed at Nigeria recently...
well, I suppose it just adds to the story, not really aiming to insult Nigeria.
And note, the two large things which the nigerians were pissed at both had to do with sony.

Why cant sony do something right for a change?

Streetfighter

Jun 3, 2009
I'm pretty sure Sony by now is actually richer and more powerful than the Nigerian government and can quite politely tell them to fuck off

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
Armitage Shanks said:
nilcypher said:
"and our ladies shown like prostitutes sleeping with extra-terrestrial beings."
Nil, are you helping Wilson out with Reliable Source this week?
Its in the movie; watch it.

red_dawn_97

Aug 25, 2009
why would they give a flying fuck if they looked past all the gory action(great action by the way) they see that the story actually tries to show that if we don't do something about modern society then the nigerian people will become prawns in a giant district 9

Radeonx

Apr 26, 2009
AmrasCalmacil said:
Christ, this thread is full of aggressive people, ain't it?

nilcypher said:
"We feel very bad about this because the film clearly denigrated Nigeria's image by portraying us as if we are cannibals, we are criminals," said Nigerian Information Minister Dora Akunyili,
Can't help but wonder if that was a correction though.
.....I'm scared of Nigeria now.

MaxTheReaper said:
Tolkienfanatic said:
Here is my question... does anyone really give a f*&% what Nigeria thinks?
Don't piss of Nigeria.
You may find your inbox spammed with thousands upon thousands of pleas for help from Nigerian princesses or whatever.

EDIT: You know what, I got it.
How much attention were you paying to Nigeria last week?
None.
How much are you paying now?
That's actually a good idea. I know! I'll start bitching about minor things nonstop!

MajoraPersona

Aug 4, 2009
It occurs to me that the Nigerians play an important role in the story.

Meanwhile, Neo-Nazis and former Nazis make no noise about Inglourios Basterds.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
MaxTheReaper said:
Tolkienfanatic said:
Here is my question... does anyone really give a f*&% what Nigeria thinks?
Don't piss of Nigeria.
You may find your inbox spammed with thousands upon thousands of pleas for help from Nigerian princesses or whatever.

EDIT: You know what, I got it.
How much attention were you paying to Nigeria last week?
None.
How much are you paying now?
Contrary to popular belief, not all publicity is good publicity.

Now Nigeria have gone from a bunch of Criminal Scum to a bunch of Whining Criminal Scum.

Doubtful the improvement they were looking for.