District 9 Sequel to Deliver the Unexpected in Two Years

clzark

Aug 21, 2009
ProfessorLayton said:
This is not good. District 9 was a great movie, and now they're going to vomit all over it. Hopefully they realize what made the first one so good and will try to keep it the same, not go generic action movie on us. If they can make a good series out of this, then we might have something big, but for right now I'm skeptical.
Agreed. A District 9 sequal COULD be good, but...yeah I'm not holding my breath quite yet.

swolf

May 3, 2010
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, no. In the case of ME vs. District 9 sequel, I show state's exhibit 1: every Silent Hill game after 3...or 4. The prosecution rests it's case. (I've been on a "In Session" and John Grisham novel binge lately. On the other hand, Silent Hill 2 was good.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
this movie was amazing, just purely amazing
my (ex)girlfriend was in love with it for a while too

honestly, I was just surprised by its writing and the action too. when it did happen...it blew me away
I mean, the whole thing just started off convincing you it was all really happening so that every bit of intensity whether it be exposition or action it felt that much more real and painful or awesome

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
Thunderhorse31 said:
And to think, Blomkamp was rejected from the Halo movie for being inexperienced.

I look forward to many more District 9 titles while Halo continues to drift away in limbo.
you sure he was rejected? or is that just what fits your argument?

admittedly the trailer for District 9 wasn't...very good, at least IMO
but the movie...well I don't even know what else to say about it haha 'just watch it' maybe

matt87_50

Apr 3, 2009
"District 9 Sequel to Deliver the Unexpected in Two Years"

so its not in any way going to have anything to do with that smart alien coming back in his ship with a bunch of pissed off friends?

Rainheart

Apr 27, 2010
T-Bone24 said:
How did noone see this coming? The first one ended on an obvious sequel hook or two. Hang on.

Christopher Johnson said that he would return in three years, a reasonable time for a sequel to be produced and lo and behold it has, and with reinforcements. Boom, you have your setup.

The new alien residence is called "District 10", so boom, you have your title.
It will not be that easy. That would actually mean the aliens fighting with the humans and he already denounced that in the statement. Sure, they could come back and just collect their 'prawns' - no racial comment intended - and then go back to their homeworld.

I was sick of Apartheid to be honest. School kind of milked that topic, even in my exams. So I was quite suprised by how the movie managed to grasp that topic with an additional perspective.

Ryokai said:
I loved the original movie. By showing us how humanity treats the aliens, we learn about ourselves and the lowest levels we can sink to. Also, the movie successfully portrayed aliens that were very much like humans, but different looking (and with a crippling addiction to cat food), and how in the end we were not so different.
This, too, was one of the most interesting aspects of District 9. It's a theme, that is often used in movies, but with this background and story - phew.

That said, I am also a little worried about sequels, they tend to create an entire new perspective, which often does not fit with the original title.

The Austin

Jul 20, 2009
I walked in to District 9 thinking I was going to see just another shitty "OMG ALIENS" movie.

I left with a blown mind.

So yes, I'm very excited.

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
To be honest, I hated the "message" behind the first movie. It basically tried to display our lack of tolerance by showing our hostility towards an unknown species, which I find more than a little silly. There's a difference between accepting people of a different race and accepting organic lifeforms which very well may have the intention of destroying humanity.

Still, it was a very entertaining movie and I would watch the sequel.

Comma-Kazie

Sep 2, 2009
District 9 was an unexpected favorite for me; while I'd like to see more from it, I hope that Mr. Blomkamp thinks long and hard about how he goes about making the second movie before he does so.

lanternmiller

Mar 20, 2010
I didn't like D9. It was convoluted between being a sci-fi action and an analogy for aparthied. It felt like they didn't know what they wanted to make.

But with a sequel it'll be clear action. Maybe it'll strike me more.

TheXRatedDodo

Jan 7, 2009
Fantastic, District 9 was a damn fine piece of art and single-handedly restored my faith in a medium I was quickly tiring of.
Neil Blomkamp seems to have an exceedingly bright future ahead of him. Here's to hoping the next District 9 movie is as good as the first.

Brandon237

Mar 10, 2010
Suki the Cat said:
Considering how unique District 9 was, I'm sure the sequel will be equally awesome. Too bad there is years of waiting to be done before it shows up... I love the South-African dialect to english =3.
Hey, I don't abuse my county's colloquia - Okay, I do, you have a point there. It's like when British tourists try to read our local languages. D-9 makes me feel patriotic as there is nothing like seeing my 3rd world country do something good. I also hope the sequel is good, being South African like myself... You know what, lets not finish that sentence ;}

Tales of Golden Sun

Dec 18, 2008
Jumplion said:
Sweet, I really enjoyed District 9.

But GOD DAMNIT my friend always says that "Oh! It slightly teased you at the end! THERE'S GONNA BE A SEQUAL!@#%!@" and he's right in this case.

Not EVERYTHING needs a friggin' sequal!

Whatever, still pretty cool, District 9 was awesome, wouldn't mind a "District 9b" or "District 10" or whatever.
If it's going to be District 10, I also want to see District 1 to 8.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
I am so very excited for a sequel I'd squee like a fangirl were I not so tired.

I just pray that it doesn't suck. >< I can just see Michael Bay making an explosionfest or James Cameron producing another 3-D "film" with a watered-down, generic, recycled plot.

Ugh.

rddj623

"Breathe Deep, Seek Peace"
Sep 28, 2009
Being a film maker, I worry about the artistic integrity of any sequel but I feel like since this was so close to both Copley and Blomkamp it'll turn out great. I'd definitely see a sequel, D9 was one of the top ten faves of '09.