Do girls like men who can cook?

Lissa-QUON

Jun 22, 2009
Well personally I find that a turn on. There is just something nice about having a guy cook for you.

Most girls I hang out with feel the same way.

There might be one or two who are traditional and feel that its not the guy's place to cook. But that isn't too common, hell a lot of the girls I hang out with can't cook themselves (I can and am pretty good if I do say so myself.)

So yea, I'm not going to insult the company you keep but I'm a bit baffled by them.

Xisin

Sep 1, 2009
>.> <.< I've never looked at it this way. I'm female and I think that if you are an adult human and can not cook for yourself something is wrong. I don't look at it as a dating quality.

SplitDemonIdentity

Aug 23, 2010
I love guys who can cook. I dunno maybe it's coz I grew up in the kitchen and like to cook myself so having a guy who can cook with me is sexy.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Xisin said:
>.> <.< I've never looked at it this way. I'm female and I think that if you are an adult human and can not cook for yourself something is wrong. I don't look at it as a dating quality.
Apparently being a "functioning adult" is supposed to be a plus. Have standards really fallen that much?

Unless you're really good at cooking, having the ability to isn't really a huge draw. It's up there with "can do laundry" and "doesn't require a baby sitter".

A good chocolate mousse gets me hard though.

Red Albatross

Jun 11, 2009
Yeah, living off of ramen and frozen waffles is MANLY, dammit. How dare you want to eat something that doesn't taste like salt and preservatives?

No, seriously, I'm a dude that's pretty good at cooking, and a lot of girls I've talked to find it an attractive quality. You just need to find someone who appreciates you. Make them dinner that's better than most restaurants and you'll be making a pretty convincing argument for having an awesome skill.

Edit: being able to follow directions on a recipe isn't really cooking, although you'll still get great results. Being able to alter it on the fly and add your own flair is where it really starts being a skill!

Wanderer787

Mar 14, 2011
It depends on the woman. Most women are usually thrilled for their man to fix them something tasty. If you're good in the kitchen, that can make them wonder what other rooms of the house you're good in. ;) Then again, there are some bizarre women that find being able to cook as somehow effeminate. Forget them, find a woman that appreciates the skill and thought you put into it, and cook to your heart's content!

Jun 23, 2008
I didn't read the whole thread, so I may be repeating what others have said, but some of this is worthy of emphasis by repetition.

Cooking from a hypothetical standpoint (e.g. merely talking about cooking) may sound fru-fru from a 1970s homemaker / home economics perspective, but no-one laughs at the chef when they're snacking on his hors d'oeuvres or dining at his table.

To the contrary, good food is a powerful aphrodesiac. As is noted in the brit-com Chef!, a man can have absolutely no other redeeming skill or quality and still get laid, score a wife and successfully run a business out of a talent for creating yummy food.

Just make sure the nice girl who didn't laugh gets first pick when you crack out the num-nums.[footnote]...or that only she gets the antidote.[/footnote]

238U.

Madara XIII

Sep 23, 2010
TotalHobNob said:
I am man who knows how to cook and my friends usually give me shit for it. All the girls I've been with think its weak. So my question is do women like men who can cook really well?
To be short and brash.

FUCK YES!!! Trust me, women like men with refined taste and skills. You sir are in no way weak for being a man that can cook.

Hell, I played football for 7 years straight and I can make delicious Homemade Red Velvet Waffles (My own secret batter mix with a table spoon of vanilla)with diced Strawberries topped off with powdered sugar.

Grimlock Fett

Apr 14, 2010
I've been a chef for a good 6 years. Its never worked for or against me with the opposite sex but I wouldn't look twice at any woman who looked down on me for being able to cook competently!

Gulleko

Mar 30, 2011
I think being able to cook is a very good quality for a boyfriend to have. =)
The girls you've met must have been too young/stupid/fond of junk food to appreciate it.

Jun 23, 2008
Xisin said:
Dags90 said:
Apparently being a "functioning adult" is supposed to be a plus. Have standards really fallen that much?
Being able to piece together a few workable meals is sustenance cooking, and is a fundamental of adulthood.

Being able to prepare sophisticated meals and noshables that are fit for a party or guests is, I believe, the skill in question.

But I am presuming.

238U.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Seneschal said:
I don't get it; what is so repulsive about being able to prepare food? Even at the most animalistic level, it's a fantastic survival skill. From a civilized viewpoint, it's practically a resume-worthy skill. Hell, put it right there with "speaks Spanish and Afrikaans". You'll be known as "the guy who brings those delicious canapés to the office". How is it manlier and more attractive to be incompetent, it makes no sense!
Yeah, this.

Seriously OP did you time travel forward from the Deep South circa 1930 to tell us this? I am yet to meet a girl who would not like her man to cook for her (unless the man in question just cannot cook to save their lives), let alone think it was "weak".

TotalHobNob

Nov 9, 2010
Uriel-238 said:
Xisin said:
Dags90 said:
Being able to piece together a few workable meals is sustenance cooking, and is a fundamental of adulthood.

Being able to prepare sophisticated meals and noshables that are fit for a party or guests is, I believe, the skill in question.

But I am presuming.

238U.
I went to academy high school and was in the culinary program for two years, and switched to computers later. My teachers were impressed with the high end meals I made, but it wasn't for me. Which made teachers disappointed with me, as well as my parents.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
Daddy Go Bot said:
I cook 5 star meals all day everyday thanks to the BasedGod.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ls1mErmY1k

THANK YOU BASEDGOD!!!
Why was I expecting a chef explaining me the secrets of high cuisine?

OT: More skills is always better, so why would being able to cook make you look bad?

Lim3

Feb 15, 2010
Of course it isn't weak or lame. Cooking is awesome, the ability to prepare a delicious and healthy meal is unrivaled by other skills. Hang out with a new bunch of people, you're existing ones sound like they're just trying to adhere to outdated gender roles. P.S. I can cook better then my GF, with a few exceptions, like when she cooks crepes.

Dags90

Oct 27, 2009
Uriel-238 said:

But I am presuming.
I took it to mean sustenance cooking. Professional and artisan cooking has been the domain of men for decades in the West. It's only recently that there's been a push towards greater gender equality. If that's the case, then his friends are massively ignorant of the gender politics of food.
Grimlock Fett said:
I've been a chef for a good 6 years. Its never worked for or against me with the opposite sex but I wouldn't look twice at any woman who looked down on me for being able to cook competently!
I thought chefs have terrible work hours? Wouldn't that generally work against you?