Do people actually buy games based on Yahtzee's reviews?

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
I have to say that there are few sources that I would ever trust regarding purchasing a new game. ZP falls into this short list but I always take his reviews with a grain of salt. While I never doubt that what he says is true, I generally find myself in a bit of a conundrum. In many cases, I might like a feature that he doesn't, or hate a feature that he seemingly adores. As such, if I feel the need to consult multiple sources beyond my own internal excitment barometer, I'll generally compare the opinions of people who have generally demonstrated that they are going to tell the truth about a game.

For the most part, however, I just watch ZP for the entertainment value.

Ristoril

Aug 14, 2009
Yes, Ive been there when its happened, a friend of mine was going to buy a game, was set on it for two weeks. then Yahtzee does a review and then then because Yahtzee doesn't like it he doesnt buy it

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
God I hope not. His job is to attack with unadulterated fury everything that he sees. Even if a game is good or bad he treats it the same. On top of that his show is entirely entertainment value with very little solid review content.

riskroWe

May 12, 2009
I don't buy games anyway, I usually play the older ones that my dear mama and papa bought for me.

Although by watching ZP I'm on the lookout for something I might like, but then I'd never buy it until I'd played the demo or one of those 'right click discount' versions.

It's the same as music, I don't like to buy it unless I think the people who worked on it really deserve my money.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Well I don't really cohere to his opinion that much, but I do keep an eye out for games he praises like Saints Row 2. For example Prototype never really caught my eye until he reviewed it in comparison to InFamous. This is for real: when he mentioned that you could fly like Emo Peter Pan I was really anxious to get the game. Rented it as my first PS3 game and loved it. Same with Silent Hill 2, it was my favorite SH game before he ever mentioned how much he liked it, but his review made me remember that.

Don't care what he says about "garbage" games though. He constantly flames Halo as the shite symbol of FPSs but I think regard it as one of the best multiplayer FPSs of all time, to me it is my top multiplayer FPS to play on XBL.

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
It depends. I mean, everything he's said is pretty much true about a game and I have the same sort of opinions as him, but I at least like the play the demo first.

Ocelot GT

Oct 29, 2009
I don't buy games based on any single review.

I look at other reviews IGN/Gamespot/Gametrailers to see what they say (often more + than -) and then look at ZP (often more - than +) and then think of how the game caters to me.

Although I will admit getting a game or two because Yahtzee didn't totally bash it to death, I thought I'd give it a try during a gaming slump.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
I honestly don't look at him as a serious game critic but as a source of comedy. (The best on the internet in my opinion.)

But I did buy Saint's Row 2 because he said it was fun, and it was!

But I usually already have the games he's reviewing/says he hates.

Was I really the only one who liked RE5?

DrDeath3191

Mar 11, 2009
Buying games based on his opinion is a tad foolish, I think. His job is to essentially troll with impunity. But if you guys trust him, go right ahead.

zacobar

The Last Crunkbender
Aug 11, 2009
JimmyBassatti said:
zacobar said:
I've followed what he's said and never been led wrong, in fact I've held off Brutal Legend to get his take and am glad to hear it esspecially after hearing everyone else's take on it.

He's not a comedian, he really tries to educate. He just happens to be funny because he really doesn't give a shit about what we think. I respect that.

wut? How is he funny because he hates his fans? And, why would you listen to anything he tells you? The only reviews I've ever agreed with him on are BioShock, Assassin's Creed, and The Orange Box. Otherwise, he basically just finds a game and takes the piss out on them to get some laughs. Also, totally off-topic, but if you go back and watch his older reviews (I'm talking Peggle, BioShock, Assassin's Creed), does anyone agree that he was really funny back then, and, has declined over time?
well, never said he was funny because he hates fans. And being angry is something of an act for him so the plebs can laugh. Yahtzee does seem to me to genuinely want to say what can make games better. That you feel yahtzee plays to the fans speaks volumes of stupid conspiracy theory logic and ignores the reality that Yahtzee makes movies as a job, so cares little for what you or I actually think.

Cos we both know we'll watch his next video and comment about it. Who's the bigger fool?

Oh yea, P.S. emoticons and what nots are for pricks.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
When Painkiller was on sale on steam I grabbed it, he said it was a mindless shooting game, and it is and it's quite fun.

slipknot4

Feb 19, 2009
I think you must be some kind of retard to base your opinions around his. I mean, he bashes every game except Half like 2 and Cod 4

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
I was in my local GAME store a while ago and picked up Saints Row 2. Mostly because yahtzee gave it a good review, which is rare, and it was going for about £15. I already had painkiller before I saw his review of it though. I was surprised because I knew NO ONE else who had played it.

Multi-Hobbyist

Oct 26, 2009
It's a 50/50 for me. Considering Yahtzee 'n me have nearly the exact same taste in games, I use his reviews as somewhat of a judgment of my own, only cuz im a poor mofo. And its only with 360 games. But yeah, i'd say I do, to an extent.

Negdaen

Apr 30, 2009
I actually bought The Witcher because Yahtzee hates it so much and never actually got through enough of it give a real review. I figured I'm an MUMORPUGER!! veteran I should be able to deal with it. ... The game isn't all bad... but, really the only replay value is to see all the cards for the women, and you can't even collect them all. Though they actually alter the how the GUI works to make it harder in Hard mode. Which I find kind of disgusting. And alchemy is a lot simpler then he made it out to be. It's just you can't use it without certain upgrades... Why am I giving a half-assed review. This isn't a Witcher thread. But there have been games I decided I wanted to play because of Yahtzee giving a positive review, like Psychonauts.