Do people actually buy games based on Yahtzee's reviews?

Stabby Joe

Jul 30, 2008
I don't avoid games he hates since he hates a lot, in many cases for comedy effect (for example he nitpicked at Fallout 3 but has said casually outside of reviewing that he likes it).

I have however looked into Saints Row 2 sooner than I previously planned because of the somewhat glowing review by his standards.

...I played Painkiller long before these reviews.

Wutaiflea

Mar 17, 2009
To be honest, Yahtzee's reviews are mostly about shits and giggles, but I do feel sorry for him that he gets labelled as a bit of a troll.

I frequently end up playing through his old reviews while I do my housework and in fairness, I think he's one of the few internet critics that actually pokes fun at gaming media by openly admitting he doesn't feel like he can be overtly nice about the majority of games.
After one fateful afternoon listening to the most hypocritical and senseless trolling I've ever heard courtesy of some of the game reviewers on That Guy With The Glasses, I came crawling back to Yahtzee, who at least bitches about games with a sense of irony.

My husband bought Painkiller and Saints Row 2 off the back of Yahtzee's recommendation, but as with any review, you have to take it as someone else's personal opinion- I'm not going to get offended because Yahtzee hates my personal favourite genres (even if he was totally, totally right about Soul Calibur 4).

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
zombflux said:
Treblaine said:
I think if anybody doesn't want to pick up Psychonauts after watching Yahtzee's reviews probably have not been paying much attention.
I tried the demo after I watched it. I didn't like it.
Ahh, but he DID convince you to try the demo.

oblivion lover

Jul 24, 2009
Hardcore_gamer said:
oblivion lover said:
Hardcore_gamer said:
I take the things he says into consideration but i don't base my decisions on his words alone. Though i must admit that even though he is mostly a comedian some of his reviews are arguably more accurate then many reviews from allot of real proper review sites like IGN and Gamespot. Did anyone besides Yahtzee call Halo 3 a run of the mill game while also expressing disappointment in GTA4?
my god i beleve you must be the only person other than myself to notace that halo 3 and GTA4 are not rully that good and of course Yahtzee
No there a countless people who bash Halo 3 (though to be fair allot of them are just stupid fanboys) and GTA 4 was disliked by a good number of people, my friend also did not like GTA 4 as much as he would have liked to.

I bought GTA 4, and after several hours worth of gameplay i gave up on the game and just bought Saints Row 2. Since then, i STILL haven't resumed GTA 4 where i left of but have played Saints Row 2 twice already.

GTA 4 really did kill the sandbox gameplay GTA: San Andreas was loved for by great many people.
I remember reading some article or a interview with Rockstar where they talked about why so much stuff from the previous GTA games had been left out and they said it was because it was to unrealistic and stupid to allow Nicko to wield a chainsaw since doing something like that "would not be something that he as a character would do". In other words GTA 4 is a sandbox game without Sandbox gameplay since Rockstar dictates dictates what i can and can't do in the game.

Sandbox my ass.
aye but how many people said that the hated halo i hated it scince the first one and ive got it its crap the storys crap and i did like GTA vice city because it was a good laght but other than that i dont see why its so poular (i mean GTA4) as it is not relly that mutch fun unless you active cheats

zombflux

Oct 7, 2009
Treblaine said:
zombflux said:
Treblaine said:
I think if anybody doesn't want to pick up Psychonauts after watching Yahtzee's reviews probably have not been paying much attention.
Sure, but if I met a stranger on the street and he said, "hey you should buy Psychonauts, it's really good," I'd do the same.

cloudcover

Oct 28, 2009
Absolutely. Despite my favourite game being Portal and being pretty damn annoyed with how Red Faction turned out I don't actually have all the same tastes as Yahtzee and I've not bought any games since discovering him. However if I'd heard his review of Fable 2 I wouldn't have wasted my time buying it and then returning it. Zero Punctuation let's me know whats going to be wrong with a game and if those flaws would piss me off I know wether or not it's for me. So yes, he's pretty much the most reliable critic I've come across.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
zombflux said:
Treblaine said:
zombflux said:
Treblaine said:
Sure, but if I met a stranger on the street and he said, "hey you should buy Psychonauts, it's really good," I'd do the same.
Well... I think that is just you. And although Yahtzee may ramble on like a crazy guy on the street, unlike a guy on the street he has an audience of thousands of people streaming his video reviews every week and I'd suspect millions of people have seen at least one of his reviews.

I guess that counts for something.

Awexsome

Were it so easy
Mar 25, 2009
It wouldn't be a smart idea to go ONLY on what he says especially for his older reviews but he seems to be giving out a bit more credit where credit is due on his newer ones. Unless you're looking for a Wii game of course.

Dark Prophet

Jun 3, 2009
I'm ashamed to admit it, but I let him choose for me once. I bought Painkiller because of his over-positive review but mostly I take his reviews as humorous little cartoons.

BloodSquirrel

Jun 23, 2008
zacobar said:
I've followed what he's said and never been led wrong, in fact I've held off Brutal Legend to get his take and am glad to hear it esspecially after hearing everyone else's take on it.

He's not a comedian, he really tries to educate. He just happens to be funny because he really doesn't give a shit about what we think. I respect that.
On the contrary, Yahtzee pretty obviously plays to the crowd. He knows the things that his audience wants bashed and the things that he can get away with praising and he does just so. I knew that he wasn't going to give Brutal Legend a positive review the moment I caught a whiff of hype backlash against the game.

Speccr

Jan 5, 2009
His standards aren't high.. hes paid to bash videogames, but the odd one that he says is good I will look into and see if its my kinda game

dishwasherwong

Sep 30, 2009
Nope, while much hilarity ensues whenever he reviews something, I buy games irrespective of what he says. Some of the games I bought before he even reviewed them; like Fable 2, Oblivion, Brutal Legend and others and even found them fun! (Fable 2 got old pretty quick though, I must admit).

Other titles didn't need much prompting not to buy because I just wasn't interested in what they offered. I can formulate what I would and wouldn't find interesting or fun, on my own.

Anonymous Overlord

Sep 21, 2009
Video gaming can get expensive, i don't take one review as a yay or nay. i look at lots of reviews, previews and information provided by the development team. then i weigh my findings against my own interests to see if its worth buying at full retail value. if not is it worth trying to get some one else to pay full retail value, getting a used copy or *shudder* rent a copy. As a gamer with a full time job, girlfriend and active social life i find it hard to pick a game that will allow me to enjoy my time away from my perhaps too active life. For me gaming is an active escape from reality, a little break, a meditative relaxing process. I take Yahtzee's reviews to be the pinnacle of reviewing cause hes not afraid to complain about the little things. it is so often the little things that drag you back to my living room and ruin that all important immersion.

[BTW; any would be practitioners of my Zen Gaming technique, aim for the head, head shots are the gateway to nirvana]

oblivion lover

Jul 24, 2009
Anonymous Overlord said:
Video gaming can get expensive, i don't take one review as a yay or nay. i look at lots of reviews, previews and information provided by the development team. then i weigh my findings against my own interests to see if its worth buying at full retail value. if not is it worth trying to get some one else to pay full retail value, getting a used copy or *shudder* rent a copy. As a gamer with a full time job, girlfriend and active social life i find it hard to pick a game that will allow me to enjoy my time away from my perhaps too active life. For me gaming is an active escape from reality, a little break, a meditative relaxing process. I take Yahtzee's reviews to be the pinnacle of reviewing cause hes not afraid to complain about the little things. it is so often the little things that drag you back to my living room and ruin that all important immersion.

[BTW; any would be practitioners of my Zen Gaming technique, aim for the head, head shots are the gateway to nirvana]
no head shotes are the way to the death of the nazi zombies

ottenni

Aug 13, 2009
No i watch it for the laughs and the excellent criticism. If i want to get a review of the good things i watch the escapists review of a game, if i want the criticisms i watch ZP. But in the end i watch it because its funny.

mrhappyface

Jul 25, 2009
If people actually did, most people would play sand box and Valve games. Also, mainstream fps and rpg markets would take a pretty big hit.