Do you believe in love?

KindOfnElf

Mar 15, 2010
I am no believer, I don't like the concept of dogma.. But I do love experiencing for my self!

And I love loving with every bit of my body, heart and soul. And no one can stop me from doing so and enjoying in it even in those moments in life when love isn't going both ways. Important thing is.. nothing is stopping ANYONE from loving and rejoicing in the feeling of love that you as a human being can give birth to.

That said... you would too if you had a boyfriend beautiful and kind as mine ^_^ *floats off on clouds*

LostTimeLady

Dec 17, 2009
I believe in Love. Next question.

I've been hurt by love because I've loved someone who didn't love me back, that hurt like a punch to the stomach. All the time.

But now I'm in a mutually loving relationship and I know what love can be.

Yes, I've seen people who once loved each other do horrible things to one another but I don't believe that those actions are in any way associated with the love they shared.

I also believe that love isn't just about romantic feelings for an individual that's only a tiny part of love. Love is selfless giving to someone, be it a romantic partner or someone you just met on the street.

I also believe that God is love, and we love because He loved us first. In the same way a child learns how to love because a parent loved them first.

ProtoChimp

Feb 8, 2010
God I hope I don't get ninja'd But yeah I beleive in love. True I'm only 17 and haven't experienced it, but I seriously think love is real.

[HEADING=1]#I BELIEVE IN A THING CALLED LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE#[/HEADING]

Bobbity

Mar 17, 2010
Sorry, just happened to be watching this on Youtube maybe ten minutes before I saw this thread, and I couldn't help myself.

Seriously, watch any sappy Hugh Grant film and then tell me you don't believe in love. :p

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
I believe in a wide variety of love. I'll stick with romantic love, which is what we're probably talking about.

I subdivide romantic love a bit. First, there's the transient, infatuation, usually with sexual compulsion thrown in (indulged or not). This, I believe, is by far the more common experience, but people tend to always think of themselves as the exception and mistake it for what we might categorize as "true" love. I wouldn't go so far as to call this kind of love false, exactly, but it's certainly shallow. I have very little respect for it, especially when people just use it as an excuse for sex.

"True", or better yet, deep love is a much rarer commodity. Worse, it's been romanticized and blurred with the shallower love until people recognize it less easily. Deep love has less to do with the chemical rush of endorphins and works on a more subtle level. Deep love is the kind of love that doesn't have to be constantly talked about or shoved into the spotlight. While it can certainly wane over time, it is not nearly so fragile as shallow love. I have a great deal of respect for those who hold out and look for this sort of love instead of shallow relationships.

I'm not really interested in experiencing romantic love myself though, shallow or deep. This is not because I think it's a bad thing, but because I know myself well enough to know that I would be incapable of putting the effort into the relationship that it would need. I enjoy seeing deep love in others though, and wish them all the best in its longevity.

Titan Buttons

Apr 13, 2011
Jacco said:
I fall into the latter category. Ive seen too man people who "love" each other hurt their partners in ways that cannot be described. Elderly people who have been married 40 or 50 years will tell you straight up they are glad their spouse died because they were just so sick of being around them ALL THE TIME.
The Elderly people that you know are pretty dam heartless, all my great-grandparents and my Pop could not have been more upset of the lost of their other half, even to the point they don't want ot live without them.

Zarmi

Jul 16, 2010
Well, I believe in a thing called, why don't you just... listen to the rythm of your heart?

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
I have to believe in love, if not, why believe in anything at all.

Love is the most powerful of all emotion, apart from anger that is, love is something that enocurages you to do anything for one person (If you think they are the one that is), currently I havent fallen madly in love so for one I do not know what it feels like, hopefully one day I will.

senorfatso

Jul 26, 2008
"When you mean love you mean a big lightning bolt to the heart, where you can't eat and you can't work, and you just run off and get married and make babies. The reason you haven't felt it is because it doesn't exist. What you call love was invented by guys like me to sell nylons."

-Donald Draper

I still want to believe, but with all my relationships the love has eventually faded into bitterness and contempt.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
Allow me to post these words of wisdom as that reflects my own opinion on this matter

"'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope. Not many meatbags could make such a shot, and strangely enough, not many meatbags would derive love from it. Yet for me, love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticle, and together, achieving a singular purpose... against statistically long odds"- HK-47.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I know I'm probably not the first to quote this on this thread, but rather than read through 7 pages and see if I am, here is HK-47 with a great explanation of love:
"'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds"

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
I believe in love. That doesn't mean it's not some chemical interaction in the brain. That doesn't make it less real than if it was some mythical force. In fact that makes it, by definition, more real as it can be observed and quantified.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
CrashBang said:
I don't believe it's anything spiritual or mystical but I'm grateful for whatever chemical reactions in our brains cause us to feel love because I love love.
I've been properly in love 3 times and it's the greatest feeling on earth. Corny? Maybe. Give a shit? No.
why do people here feel the need to de-value it into chemical reactions?

of coarse that is true, but its not saying that somhow makes you "less deluded"

as for "love" I gues it depends on ones deffiniton of love...love as in a relationship, right now Im indifferent to the whole Idea, I like being single

quantumsoul

Jun 10, 2010
There is love that goes beyond infatuation. It's rare though. I like the Jewish view "giving without expecting to take"

I think too many times people get married because of that infatuation expecting it to last forever with the same intensity or they marry for other wrong reasons like "it's that time" or money or "I need to have kids", etc.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
"If they be two, they are two so
As stiff twin compasses are two ;
Thy soul, the fix'd foot, makes no show
To move, but doth, if th' other do.

And though it in the centre sit,
Yet, when the other far doth roam,
It leans, and hearkens after it,
And grows erect, as that comes home.

Such wilt thou be to me, who must,
Like th' other foot, obliquely run ;
Thy firmness makes my circle just,
And makes me end where I begun."
John Donne.

my answer is yes. it doesn't preoccupy the majority of human expression because its trivial.

Lynx

Jul 24, 2009
Love does not equal Infatuation.

This western Hollywood-y culture we live in has deluded people into thinking love is some sort of cutesy, fairytale-like thing that will automatically fix all our problems and make us happy for the rest of our lives. People fool themselves into thinking infatuation is all the glue they need to support a relationship, and forget about all the other necessities such as friendship, hard work and perseverance. This is why marriages fail.

Kill the magic and you'll find that love is actually very simple.

Personally, I love my boyfriend with all my heart. Whether or not our infatuation lasts, he will always be my best friend.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
I'll put it like this: Fourteen months into my relationship with my girlfriend, I knew I was feeling something so powerful and wonderful that even describing it as love in a society that's downplayed its meaning seemed irreverent. I care about her for who she is as much as I care for my own well-being, and can see her as independent while also maintaining the "us" that makes relationships a relationship.

No matter what happens between us, I will always care for this woman, even if what's best for her is far from what's best for me. Being able to put another's wants and desires above your own and mean it is true love. And the joy it brings is one I only hope that those of you who do not yet believe in it will experience. There's nothing better.

Falcon123

Aug 9, 2009
shadow_Fox81 said:
"If they be two, they are two so
As stiff twin compasses are two ;
Thy soul, the fix'd foot, makes no show
To move, but doth, if th' other do.

And though it in the centre sit,
Yet, when the other far doth roam,
It leans, and hearkens after it,
And grows erect, as that comes home.

Such wilt thou be to me, who must,
Like th' other foot, obliquely run ;
Thy firmness makes my circle just,
And makes me end where I begun."
John Donne.

my answer is yes. it doesn't preoccupy the majority of human expression because its trivial.
Your John Donne reference makes me happy :)