Do you believe in love?

KaosuHamoni

Apr 7, 2010
Yes, I do. I love my mother. I love my step-father. I love my brother. I love my aunts, uncles, cousins, etc, and I would lay down my life for any of them. The same goes for past partners.

Sneaky-Pie said:
If you don't believe in love, you have never been in love.
This. A million times this.

RAKtheUndead said:
Love is a disgusting, malefic cankersore on the human species. It is among the most foul and horrific things imaginable, a punishment which gives one the mere illusion of happiness, when really, all that exists within the emotion is pain. I believe in it the same way I believe in war, chaos and death.
Why? Give me a reason, RAK, aside from the evident self-pity, to believe that you are incapable of changing, and then maybe I'll leave you to your hateful posts.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
I don't believe it's anything spiritual or mystical but I'm grateful for whatever chemical reactions in our brains cause us to feel love because I love love.
I've been properly in love 3 times and it's the greatest feeling on earth. Corny? Maybe. Give a shit? No.

LiberalSquirrel

Social Justice Squire
Jan 3, 2010
I believe in love. It's one of the few exceptions to my general cynicism. Thing is, though, a lot of people start throwing around the word without really meaning it (such as a relationship that doesn't last because of insincere feelings, or whatever... hell, even I'm guilty, as I told someone I loved him when he found me root beer). But love does exist, regardless.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
LiberalSquirrel said:
I believe in love. It's one of the few exceptions to my general cynicism. Thing is, though, a lot of people start throwing around the word without really meaning it (such as a relationship that doesn't last because of insincere feelings, or whatever... hell, even I'm guilty, as I told someone I loved him when he found me root beer). But love does exist, regardless.
Damn... I was about to say something vaguely original... oh well.

Fair enough, in that case, I'll say that I've loved, been loved, and been in love, and it was all real, and when we broke up for reasons I've covered before, it felt... well... soul-destroying.

Yes, most couples you see that break up after barely six months didn't really love each other in the 'true spirit' of the word, but then, occurrences of 'real love' are so few and far between that I understand people's skepticism of its existence. *shrug*

Hawkmoon269

Apr 14, 2011
Well yeh, its a hormonal, enjoyable reaction that you can sometimes feel for another person if they fit enough of your personal criteria. It definitely exists.

Is it as amazing as all the films and tv shows make it out to be? Of course not.

buhee

Jul 6, 2010
How would you feel if your parents or your best friend died? Really sad. Why is that? Because you love them. Love isn't just about sex and relationships. Its a powerful emotion that is responsible for you caring about the health wellbeing and happiness of others.

Of course it exists.

AmrasCalmacil

Jul 19, 2008
Sneaky-Pie said:
If you don't believe in love, you have never been in love.
This. I'm no longer interested in being in love with someone, but but after my last relationship (which ended pretty badly, go figure) I can't say it doesn't exist. It may be a chemical reaction, but its still there. And it feels pretty damn good.

May 20, 2009
Jacco said:
By that I mean, do you think it is a real, tangible thing that people can experience sincerely or do you feel it is just a temporary though powerful infatuation?

I fall into the latter category. Ive seen too man people who "love" each other hurt their partners in ways that cannot be described. Elderly people who have been married 40 or 50 years will tell you straight up they are glad their spouse died because they were just so sick of being around them ALL THE TIME.

People use love as an excuse to get married or have sex or whatnot and I think to myself whenever I hear that they are just deluding themselves. That it is just a temporary, if intense, crush.

I've also been told I'm wrong and that I won't really know it until I HAVE loved. I don't buy that. I've been in some serious relationships before with some pretty intense feelings but like all things, they just came to an end. I think love is just a fairy tale that doesn't translate to the real world.

What do you think? Am I right? Wrong? Why?
I think it does exist but it's hard to find someone you actually love. We are close to what? 7 billion or something like that. Imagine finding someone you really do love. Mmh love can be friendship too. But even in that case it's hard to find a true friend.

Anyway, when or if you do find true love you'll recognize it mate. Don't let it slip through your fingers though...that's the worst thing you can do. That and giving up on finding it.

Genericjim101

Jan 7, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V32g3CwDHzg John C McGinley as Dr Cox summed it up nicely : D. Love is often one of the great exceptions to most cynical people.

Bugerion

Jan 10, 2011
If love is the exchange of chemicals,then what does it mean if I love my dog?o_O weird

Mar 9, 2010
Yeah, love does exist. After a few thousand years I think we would have learned that it doesn't exist and is just a delusional attraction.

If you're with someone long enough, long enough for their flaws to be the only thing you see, you'll end up hating them. It's just one of those things. Yes, there are people that don't end up hating each other, but they are the exception that proves the rule; their love is no less and no greater than anyone else's.

Kevlar Eater

Sep 27, 2009
Like I've said many times over: oh dear god no. Also, if it exists, no human alive would want to put up with me. And I'm fine with that.

thom_cat_

Nov 30, 2008
I believe in it because I've experienced it. But I still think it's just chemicals and shtuff. Doesn't make me think of it any less though.

n00beffect

May 8, 2009
I take love as just a hormone - exactly what it is. Indistinguishable from all your other hormones(feelings), and yes, it exists.