Do you believe in luck?

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
What do you mean by luck?

That probability exists or that trending towards good probability exist?

I don't know. What do I look like? Some kind of existential quantum physicist.

mikey7339

Jun 15, 2011
Looking back on the multitude of events, that if one little thing had happened differently, my entire life would have been screwed or literally ended...yes I believe in luck.

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
Not really.

I believe in attitude. Its sort of like karma, but instead of good things happening because you deserve it, good things happen because you think they are good.

With a positive outlook its amazing how good life can be. And I'm a pessimist agnostic :p

Jan 27, 2011
Yup. I believe in luck.

I have no explanation for it...but I have seen pretty consistent results that make me think that every person's "luck" works differently.

For example, my luck tends to be VERY good. I tend to consistently get "lucky breaks", whether it be a last second assignment delay (that came out of the blue) that allows me to finish an assignment, or a simple dodge-two-subsequent-lethal-blows-and-land-3-critical-hits-to-finish-off-a-super-hard-boss in a turn based RPG. However, I pay for that by having totally crap luck in cards and dice (especially dice).

Then, you have a good friend of mine, who generally has bad luck. He gets no real breaks, and stuff breaks down on him at the worst possible times (the day he has an exam in the morning, is the day his car refuses to start, for example). But his luck skyrockets whenever he's in serious trouble. As a kid, he was home alone, and cracked his head in on a marble table by accident. Then, his grandparents that he rarely ever sees come by for a surprise visit (that never happened before) mere minutes later, and are able to get him to a hospital. Then, there's the time he got into a head on collision with a car while he was on a bike (no helmet), and due to the angle at which his head smashed into the windshield, he only got a mild concussion and a few bruises. And just recently, a car cut him off and he rammed into it, making him "at fault" because "whoever hits from the rear did it"....And then the cop noticed that ALL the debris was in the striped zone, making it clear that the woman had made an illegal move, making my friend totally not at fault. ...Oh, and the insurance paid for EVERYTHING. So yeah, his luck is Damage Control.

These are the two most obvious cases I know of.

But yeah, because of the consistency of these events, I believe that each person's luck works in a different way. Call me crazy if you want, but this has been my experience.

AlphaEcho

Jun 16, 2010
Meh, if enough people look at a tree long enough and hope it burns, it will light on fire. Mind as well believe in that.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
Of course luck exists, but it's not as though one person has constantly good or bad luck all the time. Life's just unpredictable sometimes.

Imagine scheduling your wedding on a day that it rains, yeah, that is unlucky, but it's not because God hates you or anything, it's just the luck of the draw.

Himmelgeher

May 17, 2010
If by "luck" you mean the word we ascribe to unlikely events which occur through random chance, then yes. If you mean a belief in some supernatural force that manipulates events to its own ends, then no. This is exactly the reason the Jedi don't believe in luck, because they believe the Force controls everything and they're all about the "destiny" thing.

Of course, there's no such thing as luck when Urthdat is involved.
All hail Urthdat!

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
I'd say that luck exists. It's the probability that something good or bad will happen to you, and wether the things that happen to you are normally good or bad.

I have the worst luck of anyone I've ever met. If there's a chance of something going wrong, it will, and more will likely go wrong because of it. The simplest tasks are often way over complicated by my bad luck.

I Have No Idea

Aug 5, 2011
AlphaEcho said:
Meh, if enough people look at a tree long enough and hope it burns, it will light on fire. Mind as well believe in that.
I guess that would be lucky.... At least you'd have something to roast your marshmallows with.

I dunno, I don't get what you're saying.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
Like pretty much every one else has said: ALL HAIL URTHDAT!!

Also, I think luck can be described as random events that happen to lean in you favor. There happens enough random events every day for there to be a small chance that a lot of them are in you favor. So yeah, by that definition I believe in luck.
I don't, however, think there is a goddess of Luck who happens to smile upon certain individuals. I think luck more often than not boils down to your disposition towards life in general.

CrimsonBlaze

Aug 29, 2011
A man makes his own luck.

And by that I mean if you know the odds, are determined, and remain focus, you can have the best luck in the world.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
I believe in luck only so far as I think of luck as a human constructed concept. What I call "bad luck" isn't something I've acquired through negative karma or by walking underneath a ladder. I think of it as forces that are beyond your control that effect your life in a positie or negative way.

Example of good luck: Recently, it was raining out and I was tired so I decided to skip my morning class. Out of sheer good luck, my professor had car troubles and never showed up for the class anyway. All of the other students who went to class had to walk through the rain and the cold. Good luck!

Example of bad luck: I recently started talking to this girl I met in my class. She was nice and cute and I was going to ask her on a date. Turns out she has a boyfriend back home and when I found out I didn't ask. Next week or so, I meet this other girl who lives in my building. She seems nice and was also quite cute but lo and behold, she also has a boyfriend. Bad Luck!

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Palademon said:
Well, I don't believe that by some force people will own a consistent amount of luck, but I do believe that everything is just chance, as in "shit happens".
You win the thread, that is the story of my life it seems.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
HAIL URTHDAT

"The key to having good luck is not caring about the consequences." -Homestuck

Yeah, I believe in it, I just never rely on it.

Spacelord

May 7, 2008
What, you mean luck as in chance? Like that an event with a 5% chance of happening could happen a million times over? I mean, sure.

What would your religion have against things like that? Would you say that you believe in like, complete predestination, that all events are guided by an unseen hand? Because that would be interesting. And more importantly impress a level of great meaning upon your life that must at times be quite challenging to comprehend.

Also I'm not trolling, I'd just like to know more :)

All glory to Urthdat

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
i think theres such thing as luck im not sure about the whole black cat broken mirror and so on but theres definately a degree of luck in life in general

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
I'm lucky as hell.

I might be making my own luck, finding easy solutions to scientific problems on the first try and just being right about my guesses on how everything works,and then getting lots of publications out of many different areas. But i'm pretty sure theres a big luck component there, too.

[HEADING=3]Urthdat be praised[/HEADING]

Gamblerjoe

Oct 25, 2010
fenrizz said:
I believe that luck is just a word we sue for random events that go in our favor.

All hail Urthdat!
Im in this category. I only believe in luck in a retroactive sense, which isnt really a belief, just a reflecton of what happened.

"I lost $500 to a four outer! My luck has been shitty all night."

Capatcha: zationth age,

All hail Urthdat! May his dynasty lead us into the Zationth Age, bringing great prosperity!