Do you get upset if Yahtzee trashes a game you like?

Xanadu84

Apr 9, 2008
In terms of finding bad games, Yahtzee is captain false positive. When he gives a good review, I pay extra close attention, because I know his tendency is towards insults. But I also know that Yahtzee has very personal tastes that do not generalize to others well, but that he can express in very humorous ways. An excellent example of this is how he broadly just doesn't like fighters. There will not be a useful review on a fighter, because he doesn't like them, and being impartial isn't funny. Yes, often times, he will find the genuine bad points in games that are generally good but that he just doesn't like, but the fact that he is searching for something bad to say means that this analysis is unreliable. Do I get upset? Maybe mildly, in that base, instinctive way we can't really help. But nothing I would level any criticism at Yahtzee before, and no where near enough to make me enjoy the reviews any less.

TheBadGamer

Mar 8, 2010
It's not the first time someone trashed a game I liked, why would I care if Yahtzee trash it to?
I just watch his show to get a laugh.

Murmillos

Silly Deerthing
Feb 13, 2011
Not at all, because he trashes the game for the silliest and most shallowest of reasons. Of course, they are also the obvious reasons that I am also keenly aware of - and have been most likely annoyed with the sames reasons as Yahtzee does with the game, which makes his videos humorous enough not to get pissed at.

He points out the obvious issues and everybody gets a chuckle out of it.

And often the points he loves to point out are not gamebreakers, but there are often games I didn't finish with the reasons Yahtzee did point out.

sonic500

Jun 30, 2011
Gods no.
I mean whats the point? its his opnion and hes free to have it.
Him hateing a game dosint stop me from liking it.

Vykrel

Feb 26, 2009
no, he makes it really funny. he really dislikes Halo, and Halo is my favorite series. doesnt bother me

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Nah, I laugh because he almost always is pretty accurate with his rips on the horrible decisions devs make on their games.

Jin-Roh

Oct 26, 2009
It is opinion, as such there is a filter, plus your own filter of the person reading the opinion. There is really a truth but what that truth is diffrent for each person. Oh well I think it is nice to see a persion just go on with there way and no mater how much a person hates or loves a game. It is a game, enjoyment and in come cases we learn more about our self then the better. Even if we are acting like monkeies and tossing poo all over the place.

PsiMatrix

Gray Jedi
Feb 4, 2008
lunncal said:
Nope, and he has done many, many times.

I usually agree with the points he makes too, but it doesn't magically make me start disliking the game. Generally I like something he doesn't because the negative points don't bother me much, or the positive points affect me more.
This is what I call the 'Litmus Test' for a game. If he can pan it and I still want to buy it regardless then I was always going to buy because I was hooked and if not; then I probably wasn't going to like it anyway and I'm obviously not a fan of the genré/game in question.

For example I bought Halo 3 after his review even though I agree with the points about retarded ally NPCs that drive in to rocks while we get leisurely blown to Narnia and the campaign being rather short (finished in just two sittings). But I had already planned to buy it and the AI had always been semi-helpful in the previous games including the idiots of the first who decided walking in the path of my Scorpion was a good idea and then they turned on me for running their friends over.

On the flipside when he heaps praise on something; it makes me consider it as a purchase because he is such a harsh critic that to breach his "impossibly high standards" it must be the gaming equivalent of the holy grail. I was on the fence about Portal (Orange Box) since I already had Half-Life 2 and wasn't particularly swayed by the episodes or even TF2 and Saints Row 2 because the adverts made it seem like yet another wannabe gangster game. I have never regretted those choices. Portal sucked me in quite spectacularly and I've never had more fun with a sandbox game than I have had with SR2. Covering houses in raw sewage, likeable characters and the frankly insane missions that varied from a gunfight in a drug lab to battling a brick shithouse on a rooftop while he's trying to shoot at you with a minigun.

I find his reviews entertaining and refreshing in a world of perfect tens and high scores and I will mourn the day he stops (except for his holidays of course).

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
lunncal said:
Nope, and he has done many, many times.

I usually agree with the points he makes too, but it doesn't magically make me start disliking the game. Generally I like something he doesn't because the negative points don't bother me much, or the positive points affect me more.
Exactly this. In fact, i usually enjoy it even more when the game he's thrashing is one i like (or at least have played), because it's easier for me to evaluate the validity of his arguments. Games with which i am unfamiliar, i just have to take his word for it.

yoshilinks

Nov 13, 2009
No Yahtzee speaks the truth, he finds problems and talks about them, that's what he does. I'm glad he's blunt and up front

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Mallefunction said:
Sometimes I get upset when a game he likes turns out to be utter shit. Honestly, did not like Sands of Time all the much, but he RAVES about it. I keep wondering if I somehow purchased the wrong game or something.

As for him trashing games I like? No, I don't hold it against him. Usually he makes some good points that only the blindest fantards refuse to admit exist.
Yea. I still can't understand how he liked No More Heroes; I always thought he hated tedium and quick time events. It's definitely a little annoying when he praises crap because you expect him to be picky. So if he actually likes something, I'm more likely to think it's worth checking out.
Every game has bad points (except maybe Burnout Revenge... I?m wrong, impossible timed laps) and he makes fun of them in a hilarious way. Can?t hold that against him.
Besides, Yahtzee is always funniest when he's trashing something. Then again, he really liked Saints Row 2 and that review was hilarious anyway.
I still want to make Mankind Has Yet To Recognize My Genius.

Doti

Jun 8, 2011
No, as a Wii owner, I'd have left in disgust about 100+ reviews ago. The man is funny, and that's really all I ask of him. Not only it's his personal opinion, which really shouldn't affect my own, but he is also quite often right.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
I smell liars.

I've lost count at how many times I've seen people get their knickers in a twist because Yahtzee kicked the crap out of a game they loved. Hell, just go back and look at some of the comment threads. Brawl, EVE, Witcher 2, MGS4, FFXIII, Halo Reach and Monster Hunter Tri would all be good places to start. Enraged fanboys aplenty.

And now everyone lines up to say, "Nah, I don't mind."

On that note... nah, I don't mind.

Yahtzee has hardly ever bashed a favourite game of mine. Usually he either praised them or let them off fairly easy. And when he does rip into something I like (eg. Mirror's Edge), I can usually sorta see where he's coming from.

On the other hand, I do feel a bit put out when he likes something I didn't. I came here for confirmation damn it!

Bomberman4000

Jun 23, 2010
I read through every comment on this thread so far just to see if any one said yes, and I'm not surprised to see no one did. This is the type of question that only the least mature people would ever say yes to And anyone who does say yes then I simply say to them that they must not really like the game in question because if they get upset by ONE person's opinion then their fandom must not've been that strong to begin with.

I only avoid games I intend on playing, because as someone said he does tend to give away key plot points (which I guess is to be expected in a "review" but that's not the point)

The point is, no I don't get upset if he doesn't like a game that I do.

BanicRhys

May 31, 2011
Nope, I have long since stopped relying on his videos for purchasing advice.

His videos sure are entertaining and I'm sure he's only so unnecessarily harsh because it gets him views but I know they aren't a reliable source of information on a game's quality.