Do you swear much?

MorphingDragon

Apr 17, 2009
University made me swear like a ************. I even swear in front of my supervisor which I think he just tolerates.

Though the only time I got in trouble is when I made a tasteless rape joke.

Full

Sep 3, 2012
Mainly for comedic emphasis (or emphasis in general) to make anything I could say more funny in a juvenile, cheap giggles kind of way, or I don't have the time to think of anything else, which is 90% of the time. I try to stay away from it in actual conversations, as I believe in that context they're just cheap replacements for actual words, but they still do slip out because I'm not good at conversalising.

I also try to diversify it, by saying "ass-cock-crevix-balls" instead of "oh shit", that kind of thing.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I try not to. I've always been of the opinion that profanity is a linguistic support for the most exceptionally inarticulate m*********er.

(It's not hypocrisy, because I censored it! That's how it works, right? Right?)

The Lugz

Apr 23, 2011
The reason people swear is because they feel they're getting away with something.

there is no practical difference between 'tree' and 'fuck' they're both symbolic representations
and have no real meaning beyond an idea, A word itself is incapable of being offensive unless
you choose to be offended by it

people do what makes them feel good, if they prefer to be 'reserved' they like to
show they don't swear because they're in control of life

to them i say,

- control is an illusion.

- language is a logical construct.

- people are stupid.

- society is worse.

so, really you're not getting away with anything, showing you can control yourself or being
remotely intelligent in the slightest, there's always someone with a more unique outlook and/or better logic

do what you want, there is no practical difference between language palettes and 'haters gonna hate'
if you really want to dumbfound people, learn a string of complex and rarely used words in place
of swearing and when you get strange looks just tell people you're leaking logic.

here's a starter:

psituris!
the sound of wind blowing through trees, good for disagreeing with someone!
your words are but a wash of noise to my ears, and thus-fourth.

we could bring back the classical,
it would be nice to see the return of heterogeneous language, seeing the same words over and over
can only lead to comfort in the familiar, and thus the spurning of new concepts

then people complain there's no innovation in life, ah the bittersweet irony

Boris Goodenough

Jul 15, 2009
I only swear when I am near people who swear, which is very seldom, I make lots of indistinguishable sounds when I get angry though (and then I turn green).

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
I swear a lot alone and with friends. When meeting someone for the first time or when I was at work, I try and keep it to a minimum if I even swear at all. Other times, like at home or online, only when I think it's appropriate for emphasis or comedy of what have you.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
All the time casually. Not at all professionally.

And when I say all the time I mean virtually every sentence, whether because I'm angry or for comedic effect, they're just too good not to use.

Vausch

Dec 7, 2009
I'm thinking of carrying around a recording on my phone so it plays that "EFF" sound from Yugioh Abridged. I worry I'd break it.

GodzillaGuy92

Jul 10, 2012
Agayek said:
I swear a lot, over anything and everything and in nearly every situation, and I really couldn't give less of a fuck about it.
The combination of this and your avatar made this statement highly enjoyable to read. I'm still not entirely sure why.

Kenkurogue

Mar 19, 2012
I never used to use profanity at all. When I was a kid I thought it was bad. As I got older I really did not care but it just was not a part of my speech pattern. Then I lived in New York city for a few years. I did not notice until I moved back home and a few friends wondered when I started swearing so much. Guess you can pick up more than an accent when you live somewhere for a while.

http://youtu.be/26UA578yQ5g

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
God-damned army hammered the image lesson into me hard. Can't bring myself to swear around civilians while at work... even though my job is much less serious now.

I'm a completely different person socially... I pretty much cuss like the Dude.

Queen Michael

has read 4,010 manga books
Jun 9, 2009
I try never to swear. That way, I get tons of satisfaction and stress relief when I'm really angry and do swear.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
Yes but I can control it...which is better than most of my mates

I swear a lot around my friends but I know when NOT to swear (such as around parents, elderly, children, public areas etc.) but when I am with my mates its 'fuck this shit' and 'screw you ****' that.

Sandjube

Feb 11, 2011
Only when I'm reaaaaally angry, or I'm with a group of friends and we're talking smack to each other or something. For every other scenario, I usually use words like 'Feth' and 'borked'.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
In a public scenario in which I'm aware people around me wouldn't appreciate the shit coming out of my mouth? I'll tone that fucking stuff down specifically as an expression of respect for others.

However, in private and with friends? I'll fucking say all the cunting curses I god damned well please with zero regard for what is and is not proper...ass...cock...porcine genitalia.

Seriously, I do try to curtail is a bit, but I really can't help what public school systems and the internet have done to me. Boo hoo.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
I didn't used to, but after entering University it started slipping in for emphasis or when I'm very frustrated. I'm trying to slow it down a tad, as I'm not exactly comfortable with the realization.

It's much easier to hold back in professional environments though.

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
Fuck yeah I do.

Actually it's a bit more complicated than that; In Sweden, swearing is extremely common and there's very little stigma attached to the common swears, in particular "fan" and "jävla" which are names for Satan and are used in a similar context to "Fuck" in English ("Fan då!" = "The fuck!" and "Jävla helvete!" = "Fuckin' hell!"), so when I speak or write in English, I find I swear a lot just as a force of habit, even when I've no fucking intention to.