Do you talk to your pet?

Eggsnham

Apr 29, 2009
Yeah, I talk to all my pets, barring the fish.

My cat sometimes understands what I'm saying, though. He hates being picked up, so whenever I say I'm going to pet him, he understands that I really intend to pick him and he'll run away.

Sometimes it's nice to just vent frustrations to a friend who can only listen and make the occasional sound/movement.

Andaxay

Thinking with Portals
Jun 4, 2008
I talk to both my cats. Toby is the mischevious one who is always off playing with random parts of the sofa so I roll my eyes to Cleo and remark how silly he is. And I talk to them sometimes and I SWEAR they know what I'm saying 'cause they respond as if they do. I love them to flipping bits.

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
My cat loves conversation. It doesn't really seem to matter whether it's directed at him or not, but he always drops by if I'm chatting to somebody, irregardless of whether it's voice chat or meat space.

That, and I'm 100% certain he recognises the words "food", "meat", and "dry food".

Sable Rhapsody

Jun 29, 2010
My cat and I have very inefficient conversations in which I talk to him, he meows back, and neither of us have a clue what the other one is saying.

Though he does know his name, "food," "bad cat," and "leash." So he's doing better than I am.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
Not really. I basically only use the words he understands (his name, sit, walk, eat, pee, cookie, sleep, shut up and the name of his toys) and work them into sentences to not sound like a complete idiot when communicating with him.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
I've always talked to the dog's we've had in my family. The one we have now is no exception. Anything from saying what a pretty girl she is to shouting at her to stop fucking barking in the garden to congratulating her on relieving her bowels; I've said it all :D

Mr Thin

Apr 4, 2010
Come on, who doesn't talk to their pets? I talk to my chihuahuas all the time.

I'm know they understand my tone of voice, and I know they understand certain words like 'dinner', 'walk', 'beach' and 'chicken'. I reckon if I ever said all three of those words in the same sentence, they would tear out my jugular in excitement.

Well, they'd try to. They wouldn't get higher than my knees, but they'd try. And I would be encouraging them with conversation because they're so cute!

So yes, I talk to my pets.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
When my cat were still alive I spoke to him a lot. Helped me cope with stuff that was going on in my life at the time.
Bestests of friends, always there and all cozy, except when wet...

Now I talk to myself, bestest of friends, always there and all... insane.

MeatMachine

Dr. Stan Gray
May 31, 2011
I hold diligent conversations with my beared dragon. He stares back silently, a permenant expression of utter discontent.

Screamarie

Mar 16, 2008
Yup, I talk to my cats and dog all the time. I see them pass in the hall and I say hello. If I have to leave the house, I tell my cat Taira and my dog Mei-Mei that I'll be back soon. I scold my dog like she were a child if she does anything wrong, "Didn't I tell you not to go across the street?! Bad dog! You know better than that!"

Maybe I'm crazy, maybe not but they seem to understand me to an extent. If I have to be gone for an extended period of time I talk to my cat Ally (who seems to believe I belong to him and becomes unruly if I don't spend a certain amount of time with him)I have to sit and talk to him for a minute, "Don't worry I'll just be gone for a day" so he doesn't completely go crazy.

I don't believe they understand my words exactly, but I think they understand sentiment. When I talk to Ally I think he gets the feeling I'm soothing him for something "bad" to come so he's able to handle it better. But that's just me.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
I don't really talk much to my dogs or cat that I have right now in any significant way, but I used to have a cat I talked to.
That little critter seriously acted like he understood what was going on.
Imagine the way a Wizard's Familiar acts towards the Wizard. It was an awful lot like that.

I'm busy - cat sleeps
I'm bored - cat tries to play with me
I'm agitated - cat nowhere to be seen
I'm in a good mood - cat purring and circling me
I'm tired - cat's sleeping next to where I'm at
I'm depressed, standing in the middle of a yard half-way down the block in the middle of the night, staring at the moon - cat comes and finds me, walks up, sits down next to me and stares at me.

I miss that cat :(

Denamic

Aug 19, 2009
Yeah.
I don't have conversations with them, obviously, but they enjoy the attention.
They also do have a basic understanding of a number of words and phrases.
When I call them good girls, they know they're being praised.
When I ask them if they wanna take a shit, they know they're getting to go outside.
When I ask where the ball or the frisbee is, they go and get it.
They even get the item right.
Meaning they get the ball if I ask about the ball, and vice versa.
I've also taught one of them left and right.

Lataziba

Oct 22, 2011
my pet talks to me...we always have interesting conversation and compelling arguments....somehow he always wins....i may be insane....

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Yup, I did when my dog was still alive and even though I knew he didn't understand a thing I said to him, it was a good stress relief.

I really miss him ='(

aprildog18

Feb 16, 2010
I tried talking to my parakeets to make them mimic me, but that failed. I don't talk to them anymore now.

Crazy Zaul

Oct 5, 2010
I talk to my pet all the time, its perfectly normal. The weird thing is that everyone I know claims I don't have a pet.