Do you talk to your pet?

SovietX

Sep 8, 2009
Yeah I talk to my cats. Some of my cats are actually very vocal themselves (will find you and meow at you without wanting anything) and one of my cats actually meows to say hello to you whenever you walk into the room.

Pets are great, always have someone to talk to.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
Talking to my pets is how I train them. I suck at trying to teach them commands, so I just talk to them constantly and have them learn my tone of voice. Telling a cat to come doesn't work very well, but if you ask nicely they will. Not to mention once they do learn your tone it really is like they understand you, since they know when you want to snuggle or if you want to play.

Koroviev

Oct 3, 2010
I talk to my dog all the time. Although, she is really only interested when she hears what she suspects to be some variant of "play," "want," "toy," "carrot," etc.

Divine Miss Bee

Feb 16, 2010
i do! i talk to my cat about everything. weirdly, he sort of responds to my words-he's like having another person around.

manic_depressive13

Dec 28, 2008
Sure, but it's usually along the lines of "Dog, you're a stupid asshole. Maybe if you weren't so loud and obnoxious people would be willing to play with you." Yeah... I project a lot.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I talk to my cats all the time. Sadly they don't speak english just meows, chirps, and trills.
One of our cats if you ask her a question (as in your voice gets higher at the end of the statment) she will almost always utter a single meow at you. It's training cuz my wife always lavishes her with praise when she does this.

poiumty said:
I don't have a pet, but I sometimes when I'm alone I talk to the people who are watching.

Don't you? Breaking the fourth wall is so fun.
I hate to nitpick. As it is a funny joke but...
Breaking the forth wall is when you address that you're in a play/tv show like saying "shouldn't we save that for act ii?" or saying like 1/2 of what Abed says on 'Community.'
Directly addressing the audience, asking them 'what do you think i should do?' is called an aside. What Zack on 'saved by the bell' did all the time.

Rune342

Aug 26, 2008
Yeah I do. And though he can't speak back, my cat still seems to let me know what he's thinking. This may be the reason I'm the only person in the house he likes, because I listen.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
Not really beyond calling their names of giving them commands.

With my dog the furthest from that I'll go is when she's wigging out whenever I get home. I baby-talk at her while petting her. That or asking if she wants to go for a ride in the car. It's just funny how excited she gets when I talk gibberish to her.

My cat I generally just tell to fuck off most of the time. It'll whine until I give it food then it'll still whine so I'll pet it and it'll still whine so I just tell it to shut up.

Death God

Jul 6, 2010
I talk to my dog all the time. Helps to vent and my dog actually pretends to listen even though I know she has no clue what I am saying other than, "good girl", and "do you wan a treat now?"

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
Yes, I talk to my cats. They respond to me when I call them over and I tell them and listen to what I say...well most of the time.

VyseRogueKing

Oct 27, 2011
Sometimes I refer to my cat as Señor Cuddles and talk about his crazy escapades throughout the house. At least I used to but not as much since I'm in a college dorm. I miss my cat now...

Sovereignty

Jan 25, 2010
I chat with my dog when I'm feeling down.

Though I also tell him he's awesome regularly. Considering he seems to know how to act depending on my mood, I figure he understands my tone of voice at least... @_@

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
Yes, a lot.

The dogs respond to my voice(as is fairly obvious) and so instead of saying meaningless gibberish in a specific tone of voice, I will instead just speak normally.

I have a very small tolerance for baby talk.

Astoria

Oct 25, 2010
All the time. My dog my not know what I'm saying but he definitely knows what mood I'm in and is very comforting. I used to have conversations with my nanna's dog. No, I'm not kidding that dog talked. I'm not crazy he was replying!

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
My mother seems to think she can give them complex commands.
If i can't figure out why they're making noises i just make the same noises until they stop.