Do you talk to your pet?

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
All the time. Or at least I used to, before we had to put him down (lymphoma).

StellarViking

Apr 10, 2011
My fiancee and I have a habit of talking to every animal ever. This will include this one stray cat that's the friendliest one you'll ever meet, and also, once, a fox. She was taking photos in the snow and a fox ran up, so before she took a picture of it she said "HIIIII!!!" really loudly and scared it off.

Our cat, Harley, is a member of conversation more often than her parents.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
Well yea, but it's more a way to give the pet some attention without making baby noises. I don't care if what I'm saying is nonsense, it's the tone they feel. Also I abhore baby noises. I wont even make baby noises to babies, so yea.

bliebblob

Plushy wrangler, die-curious
Sep 9, 2009
Oh yeah all the time, it's a great way to get rid of those I-had-the-worst-day-ever stories. You just want to get it out of your system and nobody really wants to hear your requiem. So, perfect solution: your pet! They couldn't care less and probably even like the attention.

Iszfury

Oct 25, 2011
Beyond frivolous teasing and the "Oh, is that the treat you want? That's to unfortunate" stuff, not really. Unless strong emotions are at hand. Part of what makes animals so loveable is that you can vent to their sleeping body for hours and convince yourself they were genuinely concerned for your wellbeing afterwards :)

I know some people who take it further though. I had a friend leave his room totally red-faced, telling me Goldy wouldn't take his time and listen to him for a damn change.
Took me a while to realize...

Powereaver

Apr 25, 2010
im always talking to my cats.. and they usually understand in their own way.. they are highly intelligent creatures as sometimes i get a "meow" back ... or a weird look.. like wtf are you saying to me? :p

Drummie666

Jan 1, 2011
Yeah. Though the only response I get is "Grrrrrr" "Hiss" and "Spit."

My cat is the most evil being to ever walk this earth.

Psychedelic Spartan

Sep 15, 2011
Well, I don't have any pets (besides fish) but the head of admissions at my school has an ADORABLE greyhound named poe, who I see almost every day, and talk to/ scratch whenever I get the chance.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
dark-mortality said:
Jupp. I chat with animals all the time. And I am far from the only one where I live... It may have something with the fact that I live in nature-loving Norway though >_> But that means all Norwegians are of the rocker :D YAY, I'M CRAZY!
Ah, someone from Norway. Then as someone from one of the old (like, pre-William of Normandy) North English families, let me thank you and your people for that wonderful Scandinavian DNA :D

OT: Yes, and to be honest I think we've bonded from it. And my terrier has odd moments of intelligence that lead me to believe he understands us better than we think. He's also learned to plan in advance, the cunning bastard. My labrador is less wily, but loves me to bits.

Rin Little

Jul 24, 2011
I love talking to my cat because he actually responds. Not that he necessarily meows or anything but he has some pretty unmistakable body language sometimes.

Blue Hero

Aug 6, 2011
Kinda. He knows a few words like toilet, dinner, and bed. I don't really talk to him, but I ask him if he wants to go to the toilet, wants dinner, or wants bed.

Nikki Fallingstar

Burning Heretics
Jul 22, 2010
I have quite the conversations with my pup every now and then. Debates usually end with her cocking her head to the side and me realizing I've just spend half an hour having a one sided argument with my dog.

iLazy

Aug 6, 2011
Yeppers. My dog wags her tail everytime I do, so it's really just encouraging me to continue. I yell at my cat though... she only seems to love me when I yell.

But yeah. I've always talked to my pets. Basic stuff; "How are you?" "Did you have a good nap?" "Would you like to go outside?"

Lederin

Oct 21, 2011
My cat doesn't give you a choice whether to talk to him or not =P He meows when he comes in and if you don't say Hi he sits next to you and meows louder until you say hello :p He also says 'thank you' when you open doors for him (or 'about bloody time!' I can't decided)

I have a very strange cats ^^;

CthulhuMessiah

Apr 28, 2011
No, unless you count me saying "Cat!" to get him to come over, or "CAT!" when he eats my blinds (seriously, the cat's food dish is automatic, so he always has food, but apparently, my blinds taste better).