Do you think girls are good gamers?

ctrl

Apr 19, 2010
i don't mind either way. but i found it odd in mw2 you can't change yourself to female and all the screamy mike spammers were 3-8 year old boys, so apparently infinity ward don't.

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
I've seen girls who are good gamers, just as I've seen men who are terible gamers. Gender has no bearing on skill.

Nannernade

May 18, 2009
I haven't met a girl online yet who plays well in shooters but I don't see a reason why they can't be just as good if not better than male gamers.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
I've never been aware of a female gamer that is better than me but it would be stupid to say that there aren't any.

joshthor

Aug 18, 2009
Isla said:
I was online once and I was playing L4D some boy was playing with me and as soon as he saw I was a girl he left the party sent me a message saying "I don't want to play with you cause you're a girl"
In chat speak mind.

Judged on my sex, yet again.
LOL. THATS AWESOME! he is either 5 and afraid of cooties, or afraid of women.

OT: I personally dont KNOW any girls who are good gamers, but i know there are some. i just havent met any. i play random games with some of my girl-friends, but its mainly dance central on kinect (they are MUCH better than me), rock band, or the odd horror game (or pseudo-horror game that they find scary like left 4 dead)

Nanaki316

Oct 23, 2009
That guy was obviously a bellend.
I'm an RPG sort of gamer girl myself and you'll struggle to find a guy who can beat those games, 100% them and do them in insanely fast time as quick as I can. I also have a skill for Worms but I have no idea why.

I also play COD and FPS's. I'm ok at them. I certainly have very good games and very bad games but I don't think anyone I've ever met has had a problem with me being a gamer girl. My bloke loves having a gamer girl

JPArbiter

Oct 14, 2010
I think this question is sexist, as I have met men that are terrible gamers. Gender is not an indicator.

My Wife is an awesome WoW player, her Farm in Farmville has grown to be nearly unmanageable, her abilities in JRPGs and side scrollers is fantastic.

She can not play a shooter worth a damn though and to most people that would qualify her as a bad gamer.

BlueSinbad

Oct 18, 2010
Played against a girl on Halo3 once, she wasn't too bad, just depends really, there are more guy gamers.

Sep 30, 2010
to answer your questions in order:
1. You are asking for a generalization, I'm not going to say anything about all girls but I believe that a girl has the same amount of potential as a boy when playing videogames.
2. Again, I think a girl has the same amount of potential as a boy. I've met girl gamers who destroyed me and I've met girls who are positively awful.
3. I don't mind facing a girl online and usually I don't even acknowledge the difference. I do have a couple friends who are girl gamers and they frequently get messages like: "are you really a girl? Then I'm leaving."
Although I don't think I've ever heard a girl online asking me to join a 10th prestige lobby our spouting obscenities about my mother so that might actually make me prefer facing a girl.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Do you think gays are good gamers?
Do you think black people are good gamers?
Do you think black lesbians are good gamers? (triple points for that one!)

This thread is as silly as those three.

Not intended as an attack on the OP, I just mean it in the sense, that in this day and age it's as redundant and silly as the joke threads I opened with. We're supposed to be in the age of tolerance people!

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
MaxPowers666 said:
Being male or female has absolutely no effect what so ever on your ability to play a video game. He was just being an immature little twat, it happens alot online.
Pretty much this, really. In almost all things, a person's sex makes no difference, regardless of what anyone says.

Strictly speaking, physically females are (on average) weaker than males by a fair margin, but a woman could still kick a man's ass all over the place if she was trained in some form of combat or was of above average strength. For example, women who work as firefighters need to meet the same physical fitness standards as men, and I've heard of some who can lift 120kg or more.

I'm going off an a tangent, I'm sorry. Anyway; yes, men and women can play games just as well or as poorly as each-other.

Gudrests

Mar 29, 2010
Isla said:
endnuen said:
I don't care. If your are good, you have a place on my team.
Skill can not be predetermined by gender, especially in gaming..

If it was say weightlifting you would be at a natural disadvantage.
But in games? Hardly.
True.
But have you ever seen any female body builders? Highly, highly unattractive and a tad scary if you ask me. Why a woman would ever want to take that career is beyond me.
Little off subject but I thought I'd throw my two pence in.
But they are weaker and smaller than male body builders...thats what i think he is saying. Girls tho im games....one of the best people i know who play wow...and well any other game she likes is a girl....VERY good...like..F YOU PISS OFF.... *listen to her laugh for 10 minutes.....****** lol but yeah...i prefer girl gamers...as long as they dont get offended by everything in the world...thats when it gets annoying. ....and again..this girl im talking about says worse shit than me...sooo ive probally been spoiled by the best of the best..

rainydays458

Feb 6, 2011
What does gender have to do with it? I know that the are more guys playing video games then there are girls, but why is there this constant devide? I don't really play FPS' as I find them repetitive and prefer RPGs and third person shooters, but when I do go online I often find I'm sent derogotive messages saying girls are rubbish gamers.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Isla said:
Being a girl myself I'd like to be classed as a decent gamer.

Judged on my sex, yet again.
If you don't like being judged on your sex, why are you asking if people think girls make good gamers? Another "girl-gamer" on the Escapist may be "better" or "worse" than you, there's no point trying to get it judged.

Other "girl-gamers" (I'm starting to hate that term) have no bearing on your competency at playing games, nor does your sex have any bearing on it.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
I can't make a judgement on how well someone plays without seeing them play so I certainly can't judge how well a group plays games.

Togs

Dec 8, 2010
Gender plays no role in gaming ability, stereotypically it influences what types of games that person is interested in, which Ive always considered to be BS of the highest order.

Guy in question? an immature little punk of the type that litters online gaming, pay his ignorance no heed.

ShadowKatt

Mar 19, 2009
I play Starcraft with my significant other(whom is a girl), and while I've only ever lost to her once the only reason for that is due to a lack of agression on her part. She stays mainly on the defense and can(and has) held me off for hours with counter strategies.

I keep telling her that if she would launch at attack one of these days she'd slaughter me, but so far it hasn't happened but once :/

blazearmoru

Sep 26, 2010
I'd play L4D with you. >_>; the game's pretty much based on teamwork anyway.

Also since you're a strat game player, I'm pretty sure girls are typically better than guys at mind games, so once you get the mechanics down you'd probably be better than most guys. And finally, a game's purpose for existence is sort of for fun so the better or best player in my opinion are those who have the most fun or the best experience. Don't let it get to you. I'm sure everyone here over the age of 10 would agree. ^_^