Do you think girls are good gamers?

Ailia

Nov 11, 2010
Your sex doesn't have anything to do with your skills at games. As a girl, I can out-play most of the guys I know. Sure, there are less girl gamers than guys, but that doesn't affect out skill level.

Fearzone

Boyz! Boyz! Boyz!
Dec 3, 2008
Of course they can be. If I ever get pwned by one I wouldn't deny her girl-ness.

Mostly when I run into them online, they are getting inordinate attention from male gamers by virtue of having a female voice on Vent and a blood elf avatar, probably a lot more attention than they get IRL, and then they start acting like some supermodel with their newfound desirablity, and it all gets really annoying really fast. No, it's not all of them like that, but enough to call it a pattern.

The_ModeRazor

Jul 29, 2009
I have played against one in Team Fortress 2. (she was talking, the voice was quite obviously that of a girl)
(she sounded sexy too, but obviously that's not really possibly to judge just from voice :D)
She was second on her team with some serious stats, so she was obviously good.

But the girls I personally know are usually not particularly good at videogames. Although my elder sister is pretty good in some strategy games. She just doesn't really have time to play them.
And noone will ever beat me in Worms Armageddon. Noone. No matter who you are or where you come from, your pathetic maggots will be crushed beneath my bootheel.
Yada yada yada.

shadyh8er

Apr 28, 2010
Oh please! My brother has over 200 losses on Tekken 6. Pretty sure at least one of them was a girl. Hell, there was this one whom he barely beat who used Heihachi. For those who don't know, Heihachi is VERY difficult to be good with. You have to absolutely know what you're doing.

(Then there are the ones who use Lili...)

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Isla said:
Being a girl myself I'd like to be classed as a decent gamer. I don't play COD, or mass effect or any of those kinds of games. I'm more of an RPG based player (if any of you have read my posts before you could gather I hate online play)

But do you consider girls good gamers?
Do you think they are as good as boys?
Do you mind facing a girl online?

I was online once and I was playing L4D some boy was playing with me and as soon as he saw I was a girl he left the party sent me a message saying "I don't want to play with you cause you're a girl"
In chat speak mind.

Judged on my sex, yet again.
The only girl gamers I know are good, and I don't mind playing with them or the occasional female I meet on xbox live. If anything I like it more because women/girls are less likely to scream incomprehensible slurs of obscenities if/when they suck.

Jan 27, 2011
Honestly, gender doesn't factor into gaming skill. I used to know a LOT of amazing gamer girls from college who could school me in anything we played.

The girl I'm going out with is also a gamer. Not quite as good as me, but her instincts and logic are good. She only has trouble with the technical aspects (getting a Quarter Circle Forward Punch to come out every time, for example). With a little practice, she could be really good.

And I think I've faced a few girls online. I find it cool, a much needed change from all the whiny 12 year olds and douche 20-somethings who swear with every other breath. That and back when I played Ragnarok Online, the healer for our guild was a girl. And she was GOOD. She kept everyone alive and knew when to run like hell. Plus she was friendly too.

DuelLadyS

Aug 25, 2010
Based on my experiences with my friends (I'm a girl, they be girls, everyone plays), there's no inherent skill difference, just game preferences and different playing styles. Most of the girls I know are more 'co-op' based, rather than competing online. Also, the girls I know have a LOT more variety in their games. We're just as likely to sit down with an old-school RPG as a modern shooter. It may seem, to the random guy I run into online, that I don't play much- my trophies/gamescore are on the low side. It's not true- it's a side effect of spreading my gaming across the 10 systems hooked up to my TV right now. (Plus the handhelds...) Every girl gamer I know has at least 3 systems of varying ages, and at least 1 handheld. Well, all but one- she's pretty WoW exclusive these days. (It worries us a bit...)

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
It doesn't matter what gender you are, both are capable of being outstanding gamers.

That being said, I haven't met a good girl gamer before. Although I have met a fair amount of pro-players in Combat Arms >.>

^=ash=^

Sep 23, 2009
MassiveGeek said:
"it's so fucking stupid I just want to bite the head of a hamster!

A cute furry hamster. D:<"
That is rather awesome ... although I do feel sorry for the hamster ... If it was Bear Grylls doing the biting then it wouldn't be as bad since he's a professional at that kind of thing.

Back on topic:
1. They can be.
2. They can be.
3. They can be less douche-ish than guys so no I don't mind.

xxx

Eisenfaust

Two horses in a man costume
Apr 20, 2009
once they're fully developed i doubt there's any measurable difference based solely on gender... one could argue that women are on average worse because traditional gender roles, etc give them less expierence, but if you take men and women who have never played games and pitted them against each other i doubt you'd find anything significant...

on the other hand... stereotypically between 2 and 16 females have better fine motor skills (better at drawing, etc) so it's possible there might be a difference early on... the males catch up though, so it wouldn't last long

Thirsk

Jan 18, 2009
I wouldn't dare saying no, there are plenty of women out there who can hand my ass to me in just about any game.

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Gender has nothing to do with it. I've had my ass beat six ways from sunday by girl players before.

My only issue with girl gamers is that they talk considerably less, probably from all the crazy messages they get by being "outted" as a girl. But yeah it makes team work awkward sometimes.

That said most people rarely communicate online, its usually kept to flaming and moaning.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Do you think boys are good gamers? It has nothing to do with sex, just personal skill.

Space Spoons

Aug 21, 2008
In my experience, the player's gender doesn't really have much bearing on how good at a game that player is. I play a lot of Left 4 Dead and Street Fighter, and I've met great players of both genders. I've also met crappy players of both genders, usually in numbers far greater. Gaming takes all kinds.

If someone seriously stopped playing with you because you're a girl, they were probably in middle school or something.

Jimbo1212

Aug 13, 2009
My experience of girl gamers has shown me that they are in general very poor gamers simply because they limit themselves to the type and amount of games they play eg. Only Jrpgs, only WoW etc.
Most guys I know who game have played a multitude of games from many genres making them on the whole, better gamers.

DasDestroyer

Apr 3, 2010
IMHO it doesn't matter whether you're a girl or a guy, girls can easily be just as good as guy gamers, and guys can easily be horrible gamers.
And I don't care whether my opponent is a guy or a girl, although it is often interesting to know.

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
This has probably been said a few dozen times already, but your gender does not affect your gaming skills whatsoever. Some girls are so bad they can barely move from right to left, most are average to decent, and some are inhumanly good. As is the case with males