Doctor Who: Episode 9: Cold Blood [SPOILERS]

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
The only thing I have going through my head at the moment is wanting to yell Bollocks to the Buggering Wankers that decided to kill Rory. I know I'm in a minority, but I really really liked Rory as he was a decent counterpoint to both the Amy and the Doctor without being an idiot like Micky was. I knew he wasn't in the next episode, so I was expecting them to dump him back on Earth to get ready for the Wedding. However, even though I didn't like it, it was a fantastic piece of story telling which I never saw coming with both the hints of the wedding for the final episode and the fact you saw them together in part 1.

Sadly, the ending from where Rory gets shot to the closing credits is the only part of the episode I liked. Matts and Karens acting were both fantastic (and I almost shed a tear) though the fact that the ring box fell down after she had lost the memory of Rory means there is a possible loop-hole set in place.
SomeBoredGuy said:
Oh, and I'm really starting to get interested in this crack in time business. Way more than the Bad Wolf, Torchwood or Saxon foreshadowing did, I have to say.
Same. I think the scariest thing in this series so far is the shrapnal he pulls out of the crack. Never before have I felt such an attachment to an inanimate object.

Pity about the rest of the episode. The only likeable and semi-realistic character (apart from the leads) was the Lizard's Leader and the scientist. The mother had me desperately resisting the urge to throw things at the TV, the grandfather was well acted but badly written, the Dad and Kid had fuck all to do, the Asian lady STILL creeped me out and the 2 female soldiers were so 1 dimentional I'm surprised you didn't see right through them.

EDIT: Judging from the trailer for next weekds episode, its going to be an Art students wet dream with multiple scenes matching Van Gough's paintings. Also, BILL NIGHY!!! (Who should have been the Doctor)

weecath77

Dec 22, 2009
I still think there is something dodgy about Amy......like she is a pawn in some evil plan to destroy the Doctor and the Tardis.
Would be a cool plot if the companion was an instrument of evil,but did not know it.
Great episode,I would have let the mum be killed though!!
Loving the big crack in time too.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
not_the_dm said:
Surely the destruction of a TARDIS wouldn't cause that much damage? I mean, dozens at least were destroyed during the timewar
Maybe the TARDIS is destroyed by the explosion, but not the cause of it

DC_Josh

Harmonica God
Oct 9, 2008
Yay, he is dead! Such a lovely fellow but he did not have a place there, he created too much tension and trouble.

Now all we have to worry about is the second doctor running around. Because there are two of them. Oh yes.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
PurpleLeafRave said:
TimeLord said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
Surely...If Rory is dead, then so would Amy and The Doctor? I swear he's helped save them in the past, and without him, The Doctor wouldn't have been able to save the Earth from that flying eye thing?
Yes but that would be one of the non-fixed points in time where the past can be written/un-written
Oh right. I thought that was just with events not people.
We found out also that the Daleks moving Earth at the end of Series 4 has been erased from time, think of the changes and amount of people saved. How the future would have changed drastically

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
TimeLord said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
TimeLord said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
Surely...If Rory is dead, then so would Amy and The Doctor? I swear he's helped save them in the past, and without him, The Doctor wouldn't have been able to save the Earth from that flying eye thing?
Yes but that would be one of the non-fixed points in time where the past can be written/un-written
We found out also that the Daleks moving Earth at the end of Series 4 has been erased from time, think of the changes and amount of people saved. How the future would have changed drastically
The possible plot holes created by people going into the cracks is something I'm consiously sticking into the "Willing suspension of disbelief" and just assuming its linked to the Narrativarium the Tardis is run on. Some shows basically ask to be nitpicced like this (BSG, SG-1 etc) but Doctor Who is happily in the Light Entertainment/Science Fantasy bracket that means it should be allowed to get away with some shit.

Chrono212

Fluttershy has a mean K:DR
May 19, 2009
TimeLord said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
TimeLord said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
That's a point. They haven't said exactly WHY the timeline changed away from the 'Roseverse' which was invaded multiple times to the 'Amyverse' where...giant eyeballs in the sky :/

EDIT: DAMN, ninja'd

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Chrono212 said:
TimeLord said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
TimeLord said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
That's a point. They haven't said exactly WHY the timeline changed away from the 'Roseverse' which was invaded multiple times to the 'Amyverse' where...giant eyeballs in the sky :/

We are assuming the crack in time erased it, like it expanded in the Angels 2parter, it could have enveloped the Daleks, removing them from existence before they moved the Earth or any other planet

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
TimeLord said:
Chrono212 said:
TimeLord said:
PurpleLeafRave said:
TimeLord said:
PurpleLeafRave said:

We are assuming the crack in time erased it, like it expanded in the Angels 2parter, it could have enveloped the Daleks, removing them from existence before they moved the Earth or any other planet
But wouldn't that have removed them from the WHOLE of history (Your going to have an answer for that that makes me look silly) BUT the cyber-men also attacked and they were in the preview montage at the beginning of the series...although they didn't have the 'C' logo from the alternate universe...

And would that mean that Torchwood still exists? I don't know about you, but I thought it had its good moments. Although the Cardiff base was destroyed...

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
bobby1361 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
bobby1361 said:
Anythin that touches time crack is removed from time, so how did The Doctor go and grope around in it ?
he had a flannel!
Rory had clothes, same thing.
The Doctor has been explained as a complicated space/time anomaly so it could have protected him

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
bobby1361 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
bobby1361 said:
Anythin that touches time crack is removed from time, so how did The Doctor go and grope around in it ?
he had a flannel!
But it was the DOCTORS flannel :p and I also believe it was a red with white pokadot handkerchief

Plinglebob

Team Stupid-Face
Nov 11, 2008
Chrono212 said:
bobby1361 said:
EightGaugeHippo said:
bobby1361 said:
he had a flannel!
But it was the DOCTORS flannel :p and I also believe it was a red with white pokadot handkerchief
Pokadot's are one of the most powerful forces in the universe. NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THEM!!

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Chrono212 said:
But wouldn't that have removed them from the WHOLE of history (Your going to have an answer for that that makes me look silly)
The Daleks in Series 4 are created from Davros himself, thus their only purpose after creation was the Reality bomb.

Yes Davros would have been erased from existence. But! Daleks can time travel, makeing it possible for them to remember Davros despite him being removed from time.

BUT the cyber-men also attacked
I am assuming you are talking about Series 2? It has not been explained whether that has been effected or not

And would that mean that Torchwood still exists? I don't know about you, but I thought it had its good moments. Although the Cardiff base was destroyed...
Again, we are talking about the series 4 finale and are assuming the series 2 finale still happen as it has not been explained if it has been effected. Unless you mean Jack Harkness TW and not Original TW

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
TimeLord said:
Chrono212 said:
But wouldn't that have removed them from the WHOLE of history (Your going to have an answer for that that makes me look silly)
The Daleks in Series 4 are created from Davros himself, thus their only purpose after creation was the Reality bomb.

Yes Davros would have been erased from existence. But! Daleks can time travel, makeing it possible for them to remember Davros despite him being removed from time.

I am assuming you are talking about Series 2? It has not been explained whether that has been effected or not

Again, we are talking about the series 4 finale and are assuming the series 2 finale still happen as it has not been explained if it has been effected
I SAID it would make me look silly...
The Invasion of the Cyber-Men and the Towing of Earth were global and although you had characters like Donna who managed to avoid every global event, they probably wouldn't pull that trick twice

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Chrono212 said:
TimeLord said:
Chrono212 said:

Again, we are talking about the series 4 finale and are assuming the series 2 finale still happen as it has not been explained if it has been effected
The Invasion of the Cyber-Men and the Towing of Earth were global and although you had characters like Donna who managed to avoid every global event, they probably wouldn't pull that trick twice
I think it is safe to say that it will not be adequately explained in any way by Steven Moffat

Chrono212

May 19, 2009
TimeLord said:
Chrono212 said:
TimeLord said:
Chrono212 said:

I think it is safe to say that it will not be adequately explained in any way by Steven Moffat
It's a pretty big deal if they were to just erase the passed series universe, but to be fair it did add a lot of baggage to the franchise as a whole

Crispee

Nov 18, 2009
I hear from a reliable source that Rory comes back in the final two parter of this series. My only question is how they'll return a character who's been laser beamed to death and then erased from the SpaceTime continuum.

TimeLord

For the Emperor!
Legacy
Aug 15, 2008
Crispee said:
I hear from a reliable source that Rory comes back in the final two parter of this series. My only question is how they'll return a character who's been laser beamed to death and then erased from the SpaceTime continuum.
Chrono212 said:
TimeLord said:
Chrono212 said:
TimeLord said:
Chrono212 said:

It's a pretty big deal if they were to just erase the passed series universe, but to be fair it did add a lot of baggage to the franchise as a whole
If the Doctor can stop it from happening, everything that has been erased, will never have been erased, as the cracks will never have existed to erase them