Doctor Who May Head Towards a Woman as the Doctor

roseofbattle

News Room Contributor
Apr 18, 2011
Doctor Who May Head Towards a Woman as the Doctor

Doctor Who showrunner says we'll have a woman as the Doctor when he finds the right person for the role.

Steven Moffat [http://escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/doctor%20who] confirmed it's within possibility for a woman to play the role of the Doctor. Speaking at the Sky Women in Television and Film Awards, Moffat said logically a woman will be cast at some point.

The past season starred Dame Helen Mirren [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/peter%20capaldi] asked for a new Doctor who was a woman, black, or gay - preferably all three.

Apparently Moffat is well aware of the criticisms and told an audience at the awards that he has been working toward a female Doctor.

"It's actually only since I took over the show that we have said it's actually possible within the logic of the show," he said. "The very first lines I wrote were Matt Smith checking if he had become a girl, and then I put some dialogue in to The Doctor's Wife about it in Night of the Doctor."

In the 51 years of Doctor Who there has been no female Doctor. However, (spoilers for the end of season 8) for the first time the Master, antagonist and the Doctor's old friend, returned as a woman. Missy (Michelle Gomez) gave hope to some fans hoping to see a future Doctor played by a woman.

"[The Doctor] doesn't seem to register the fact that his old friend is now a woman," Moffat continued. "So obviously, he doesn't think it's a remarkable thing to happen. We must assume that gender is quite fluid on Gallifrey."

However, Moffat is waiting for the right actress, but that might not be too far away. According to SFX, [http://www.gamesradar.com/doctor-who-star-peter-capaldi-says-next-doctor-might-be-female/] Moffat said the next Doctor might be the right time for a woman to take the role.

"We've been laying the possibility for an awfully long time, but you don't cast that way," he said. "I know I'm going to get in trouble for saying that - you cast a person, you don't cast the gender."

Doctor Who has been male-dominated in both the actors playing the Doctor and the people writing the show in its 50-year history. Last month Doctor Who hired its first female writer in the last six years. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138771-Catherine-Tregenna-Pens-a-Doctor-Who-Episode-In-Season-9]

Source: Radio Times [http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/film-news/doctor-who-writer-steven-moffat-8239127]

joshuaayt

Vocal SJW
Nov 15, 2009
Awesome- I had really been hoping 12 would be a woman, though Capaldi did do an awesome fucking job. Looking forward to seeing who we get- Hoping they also keep the doctor old for a bit, liking the parental vibes a lot more than the romantic ones. Female doctor and female companion/s?
Come on, Moffat, you can do it.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
God forbid that Moffat is still the showrunner when the next Doctor is cast. I'm really hoping that he hands over to someone else at the end of series 9. Between him and RTD I wish that the 3 years and out habit followed by many of the lead actors would be followed by the showrunners as well.

Anyway, they always say that next time might be the one, but it really doesn't mean it's going to happen. It's not like they're going to say "A woman as the Doctor? Fuck no!", is it?

If it does happen though I dread to think of it happening under Moffat anyway, as he is desperately bad at writing women.

Mar 9, 2012
I wouldn't mind a female Doctor. I would, however, very much mind a female Doctor written by Moffat. If they ever go through with it, I hope it happens under another showrunner.

Mr. Q

Apr 30, 2013
joshuaayt said:
Awesome- I had really been hoping 12 would be a woman, though Capaldi did do an awesome fucking job. Looking forward to seeing who we get- Hoping they also keep the doctor old for a bit, liking the parental vibes a lot more than the romantic ones. Female doctor and female companion/s?
Come on, Moffat, you can do it.
Me too. I like Capaldi myself but I'm longing to see the first female doctor. Plus I'd rather see the Doctor/companion relationship be a student/teacher dynamic like with the 7th Doctor and Ace.

As for who would fill that role, artist Paul Hanley has two in mind.

Ruth Wilson

http://paulhanley.deviantart.com/art/Ruth-Wilson-as-The-Doctor-375855856

Jaime Murray

http://paulhanley.deviantart.com/art/Jaime-Murray-as-The-Doctor-380035197

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
"I know I'm going to get in trouble for saying that - you cast a person, you don't cast the gender."
That is the best response I can think of for the nastiest people vocalizing about this particular show and situation and the one thing everybody should take to heart when it comes to movies, tv, and the like.

Soulrender95

May 13, 2011
Ok great, but please keep the Doctor's sexuality (or lack thereof) intact, which yes would mean the female Doctor would be technically gay, the Master in the revived series was hinted at to be attracted to men even while he was a male (the Doctor referred to Lucy Saxon as his beard) and when he became Missy she kissed the Doctor confirming that and since the Doctor was a father and grandfather (as all prior incarnations have been male) and he married River Song a few seasons ago his sexuality is towards ladies, which should be kept even if he becomes a she, if it's brought up at all.

Pyrian

Hat Man
Legacy
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
Country
US
Redryhno said:
"I know I'm going to get in trouble for saying that - you cast a person, you don't cast the gender."
That is the best response I can think of for the nastiest people vocalizing about this particular show and situation and the one thing everybody should take to heart when it comes to movies, tv, and the like.
Okaaay.... But I don't think it's true. Mostly it should be, perhaps, but that's different from claiming it is. My understanding is that casting calls that don't specify gender are typically only for "person in grocery store #6" and such.

Redryhno

Jul 25, 2011
Pyrian said:
Redryhno said:
Okaaay.... But I don't think it's true. Mostly it should be, perhaps, but that's different from claiming it is. My understanding is that casting calls that don't specify gender are typically only for "person in grocery store #6" and such.
I don't pretend to know what casting calls are like, so I can't really respond. But with as many people that keep getting all uppity over castings lately(the Michael B. Jordan thing I can understand people not liking because there was no context given at the time) I can't help but enjoy myself over it.

jFr[e]ak93

Apr 9, 2010
...no.

I get it, I get it... The Doctor could technically change gender, but he could also regenerate as a Sontaran or an Ood for that matter. This just seems like gender swapping for press. I may have a different opinion if I was a girl, but why do they have to touch an established property instead of coming up with something else that's good. Orphan Black?

Also, I'm still bitter that Jennie (The Doctor's Daughter... can't remember if her name was Jennie or not) never got a spin off or came back into the series. I really liked her as a character.

This is like making James Bond a girl. Just... doesn't... work...

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
I've not really been a fan of this aspect of Gallifreyan potential regeneration, but I am a minority, so I'll just say I don't like the idea of a female Doctor, I also didn't like the idea of a female Master, and leave it at that.

I'd rather see some other Gallifreyan who happens to be female with a T.A.R.D.I.S solving space mysteries.

Kmadden2004

Feb 13, 2010
Pyrian said:
Redryhno said:
In this context, though, it kind of is true, given that they tend to tailor the general personality and look of the Doctor to the actor they cast in the role, rather than giving their casting director a set criteria to cater for.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Redryhno said:
How many women do you think were tried out during the run of the show? I'm going to go with a generous "0."

Kind of makes his statement and yours a little hollow.

Josh123914

They'll fix it by "Monday"
Nov 17, 2009
There are two reasons I'd oppose a female Doctor right now.

1) It would shake up the formula a bit too much. You'd need to overhaul the current companion structure to accomodate a female Doctor (i.e. Less Amy Ponds, more Jack Harknesses).

2) Moffat's still showrunner.
He flat out can't write women. His female characters have 2 traits to choose from for the following:
-Love Interest
-Macguffin
-Personality

I'm not opposed to the idea, but certain requirements need to be met so that the prospect isn't a total disaster.
Not to mention the idea that the decision is too politically charged, and one that one of the BBC's flagship franchise's can afford to allow time to tell.

The Doctor has been a father, husband and a bunch of other things. The question of him feeling trapped in this body is also a prospect (see: #10's final few stories) and something like changing the gender should be carefully analysed, and not be a talking point in debating how progressive a show is.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
This seems like a very "you can, but should you" type of situation. In-universe it makes no sense (2000 years of living as a man doesn't exactly lead to there being a logical reason for such a change) and out of universe it just seems like change for the sake of change. The fact that Moffat came up with the idea doesn't help either.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
Heh my friend would be pissed if that happened, she already said that the doctor switching genders would be wrong. Being someone who hasn't seen the sho I wasn't going to argue with someone whom calls herself a 'whovian'.

Single Shot

Jan 13, 2013
Some days I really hope Muppet, I mean Moffat, has a heart attack and can't write anymore. He wrote a passable "hipster/twat" for the last few incarnations but every side character has been one dimensional and flat. Capaldi doctor has been horribly treated in favour of building up a Clara arc that isn't going anywhere, and the lizbians seem to highlight his inability to write women characters, relationships, and with consistent tone perfectly.

If he does this we'll just end up with generic eccentric girl #2536 complete with standard "believe in yourself" or "be empowered" story arc. Hell, I'd prefer they made Commander Strax the next incarnation than that since he is the only character that fits his role and makes sense in it. It'd be nice to have a Sontaran doctor for a change. It might make the episodes a little shorter though.