Doctor Who Ratings Rise in the US, Fall in the UK

EllEzDee

Nov 29, 2010
So has Doctor Who succumb to the usual American trend of TV, where there's an arbitrary teenage romantic couple with issues, regular semi-nudity and loads of angst? Because last time i watched it, that's what i witnessed, with that ginger haired scottish girl who's somewhat sexy but fancies the doctor in a totally-not-weird-way from when she was a kid, but is also engaged to one of the background cast from Scrubs.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
£500 says the reason it was rated so high in the US was because it was based in the US. Yanks take nationa... erm... "patriotism" to new extremes =p
More extremist than the Brits and the BNP? Doesn't the "N" in "BNP" stand for "nationalist?" At least the Yanks don't have a major political party proudly founded on the principles of racism and xenophobia.
They are nowhere near being a major national party. Please don't associate Brits with BNP, associate racists with the BNP.
I wouldn't be keen to have my country associated with that lot but the fact remains that someone over there likes them enough to vote for them in significant numbers. In 2008 the BNP polled an average of 14% across 593 wards contested having fielded 612 candidates. The total number of votes polled by the BNP stood at 240,968. The party gained 15 seats and had 55 councillors in all local authorities. (Source: wiki)
They're still not a major political party, and should never be associated with all British citizens
I'm not associating them with "all." Just the 250,000 British citizen that voted for them in 2008.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
£500 says the reason it was rated so high in the US was because it was based in the US. Yanks take nationa... erm... "patriotism" to new extremes =p
More extremist than the Brits and the BNP? Doesn't the "N" in "BNP" stand for "nationalist?" At least the Yanks don't have a major political party proudly founded on the principles of racism and xenophobia.
Republicans?

Honestly, republicans are founded on Xenophobia. Racism seems to be more of a minor thing.
Actually, no. The Republican Party isn't called "The Party of [Abraham] Lincoln" for nothing. It wasn't until the 1950s that the Southern Dixiecrats defected from the Democrat Party and joined the Republicans over the issues of desegregation and civil rights.
Yes, because the Republican party clearly hasn't changed in the time between Abraham Lincoln and now.

Honestly.
Did you miss the part where I said that there was a major shift in the Republican Party's constituency in the 1950s?
So wait, what you're saying is
"Actually no you're wrong the Republican party isn;t propped up by xenophobia, because its propped up by xenophobia".

Can you understand my confusion?
No, but I can appreciate the fact of it.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
JDKJ said:
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
They are nowhere near being a major national party. Please don't associate Brits with BNP, associate racists with the BNP.
I wouldn't be keen to have my country associated with that lot but the fact remains that someone over there likes them enough to vote for them in significant numbers. In 2008 the BNP polled an average of 14% across 593 wards contested having fielded 612 candidates. The total number of votes polled by the BNP stood at 240,968. The party gained 15 seats and had 55 councillors in all local authorities. (Source: wiki)
They're still not a major political party, and should never be associated with all British citizens
I'm not associating them with "all." Just the 250,000 British citizen that voted for them in 2008.
Yes, out of 62,041,708 people in the country, and let's say that maybe only half of them voted, that's still a tiny amount of people.

And this was back in 2008, their support has fallen a lot more since then.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
Two things led to me not watching it:

1) It was sunny outside, a rare occasion in England.

2) I didn't even know what bloody day it was on, so ending up missing it regardless.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
Yes, out of 62,041,708 people in the country, and let's say that maybe only half of them voted, that's still a tiny amount of people.

I may not be a genius, but I can recognize "fuzzy math" when I see it. Total number of population is irrelevant. Total number of registered voters is what matters.

And if their support has fallen in the UK since 2008, it may have to do with the fact that they are now focusing on the EU elections -- where they continue to garner surprising levels of support.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
Republicans?

Honestly, republicans are founded on Xenophobia. Racism seems to be more of a minor thing.
Actually, no. The Republican Party isn't called "The Party of [Abraham] Lincoln" for nothing. It wasn't until the 1950s that the Southern Dixiecrats defected from the Democrat Party and joined the Republicans over the issues of desegregation and civil rights.
Yes, because the Republican party clearly hasn't changed in the time between Abraham Lincoln and now.

Honestly.
Did you miss the part where I said that there was a major shift in the Republican Party's constituency in the 1950s?
"Actually no you're wrong the Republican party isn;t propped up by xenophobia, because its propped up by xenophobia".

Oh. So you were saying "The Republican part wasn't founded on racism and xenophobia, it later become racist and xenophobic".

Even though I clearly saying the Republican parties power is founded on racism and xenophobia.

Clever use of semantics by you, bravo.
As I said before, your self-admitted confusion may not be understandable, but it's hardly surprising.

Megacherv

Kinect Development Sucks...
Sep 24, 2008
JDKJ said:
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:

I may not be a genius, but I can recognize "fuzzy math" when I see it. Total number of population is irrelevant. Total number of registered voters is what matters.

And if their support has fallen in the UK since 2008, it may have to do with the fact that they are now focusing on the EU elections -- where they continue to garner surprising levels of support.
That's besides the point that the BNP is neither a major political party (there are 3 really, Labour, Tory and Lib-Dem), nor did they have anything close to a large number of votes in our country during the last election.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
stinkychops said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:
Republicans?

Honestly.

Oh. So you were saying "The Republican part wasn't founded on racism and xenophobia, it later become racist and xenophobic".

Even though I clearly saying the Republican parties power is founded on racism and xenophobia.

Clever use of semantics by you, bravo.
As I said before, your self-admitted confusion may not be understandable, but it's hardly surprising.
I'm not so sure. Are you admitting that the Republican party is racist and xenophobic?
Scroll back in the thread while reading carefully what I wrote. If you can find a solitary instance where I come within a country mile of saying that the Republican party is racist and xenophobic, then come back and we can further discuss the matter. If you can't find any such instance, then feel free to assume that I'm saying nothing of the sort.

Sylocat

Sci-Fi & Shakespeare
Nov 13, 2007
The show was broadcast 45 minutes earlier than normal, with horrible lead-in and lead-out shows (check the half-hourly ratings), on a bright sunny day of a four-day holiday weekend, and almost no advertising.

And in spite of all that, when you figure in the number of people who have simply stopped watching TV altogether, the season opener pulled barely one percent fewer of the ratings share than last season's. Which, incidentally, is over ten percent of the UK's entire population. The show is doing GREAT.

Now, this might actually matter on an American network, where the only thing anyone gives a shit about is Nielsen ad ratings (I'm becoming increasingly surprised that the USA hasn't started selling ad space on its fucking national flag), but the BBC is funded with license fees, so Doctor Who is not going away anytime soon.

Ben Legend

Apr 16, 2009
6 million is considered low? What the fuck!? Don't see how. Matt Smith's era is vastly superior to any other series so far (including the old ones) and this is coming from a Doctor Who Geek!

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Megacherv said:
JDKJ said:
Daverson said:

That's besides the point that the BNP is neither a major political party (there are 3 really, Labour, Tory and Lib-Dem), nor did they have anything close to a large number of votes in our country during the last election.
FYI, in the 2010 General Elections, the BNP got more votes than the Lib-Dem candidate in the constituency of Barking (North London). Further FYI, in the 2006 council elections, the BNP gained 12 of the 51 council seats, making the BNP the party with the second highest number of councilors (Labour had 38 seats).

As more general FYI, The BNP put forward 338 candidates for the 2010 General Election, gaining 563,743 votes (more than double what they gained in 2008). Nick Griffin came third in the Barking constituency, behind Margaret Hodge of Labour and Simon Marcus of the Conservatives, who were first and second respectively. At 14.6%, this was the BNP's best result in any of the seats it contested.

Someone in Barking likes Nick and the BNP.