Does a long list of DLC turn you off from the game?

Squidbulb

Jul 22, 2011
They don't bother me as I don't have to buy them. Even if it's on the disc I'm not usually that annoyed as I don't miss out on much. Besides, I never really look at dlc before buying a game.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Crono1973 said:
I bought Final Fantasy 13-2 at launch. While I loved the demo, I didn't like the game (I don't understand that but it is what it is) and didn't play more than a few hours. A few days ago I came back and decided to try it again. I started the game and looked at the DLC, the list was long and expensive. This game has not even been out for 3 months and already the list was too long for comfort and would probably add another $60 to the price of the game, complete.

Seeing that, I lost any motivation to play and yesterday I traded it in. I don't even want to start a game that I can't complete without spending a large amount of money. I already paid full price for this game and they want to pay full price again to get the rest of it? That's how I see it.

How do you see it? Does a long list of DLC fill you with dread and zap your motivation to play at all?
The problem isn't DLC, the problem is you're still putting faith in Square-Enix that they'll come out with a game that's actually enjoyable...when FFX-2 came out, I knew it was time to abandon ship like Boy George at a KKK rally. From what I've heard, they literally chopped the ending/final boss fight off of FFXIII-2 and are now selling it as DLC.

As for DLC in general, I think it goes both ways. Shivering Isles is DLC for Oblivion. It's a full-fledged expansion pack that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the main game itself. Hell, it quite literally takes place in a different frickin' world than the main game. That is true and worthy of being called a DLC expansion.

On the other hand, you get the fucking bullshit like this Capcom vs Tekken scandal in which hackers found 12 DLC characters fully made, prepared, and ready for action locked away on the disc. THAT is a bunch of horse shit. THAT is ripping your customers off. THAT is absolutely inexcusable.

BloatedGuppy said:
Honestly, I find the pitch and volume of the complaining about DLC to be absolutely hilarious. I'd use the word "entitlement", but then I'd have to blow my own fucking head off, and I'm not too keen on doing that.
Do it! We'll mourn your loss, but it's something that NEEDS to be said! >:3 For the record I do agree with the above statement.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Antari said:
Yes, because its usually a direct indicator of how much of the game is MISSING on initial release. Greed is easy to measure, especially when its blatent.
Exactly! When you see a long list of DLC (especially within months of release) you get the impression that you paid $60 for half a game because you realize that they purposely released the game with all that stuff missing. You ask yourself why they charged full price for it then and you realize you got scammed.

Final Fantasy XIII = $60 complete
Final Fantasy XIII-2 = $60 incomplete, probably $120 complete

What worse, 13-2 took a graphics downgrade, a story downgrade (I know pretty sad huh) and was all around a poorer experience. You get Pokemon instead of another fleshed out character. So, who thinks 13-2 complete is worth $120 compared to 13 complete?

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Das Boot said:
Antari said:
kyosai7 said:
Antari said:
Yes, because its usually a direct indicator of how much of the game is MISSING on initial release. Greed is easy to measure, especially when its blatent.

Most DLC is made after the game releases. DLC is just the new expansion pack, simply smaller, and cheaper.
If thats what you want to keep telling yourself, go right ahead. But don't expect me to go along with it.
Do you also believe that expansion packs were ripped out of the game? They are the exact same thing you know. You know what fuck it I dont even care. If you want to hide in a corner with your tinfoil hat on then be my guest.
Expansion packs aren't released on day 1.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Das Boot said:
Antari said:
kyosai7 said:
Antari said:

Most DLC is made after the game releases. DLC is just the new expansion pack, simply smaller, and cheaper.
If thats what you want to keep telling yourself, go right ahead. But don't expect me to go along with it.
Do you also believe that expansion packs were ripped out of the game? They are the exact same thing you know. You know what fuck it I dont even care. If you want to hide in a corner with your tinfoil hat on then be my guest.
What expansion packs are and were compared to DLC today is world of difference. Actually in alot of cases it was a WORLD that was different. When an expansion comes out six months to a year after the fact with multiple additions ... thats an expansion. DLC is rarely more than a month after release, and then nickle and diming into infinity starts in some cases. Things developed right alongside the game by concept, released literally hours or days after the release of the game itself. As well DLC is usually widdled down to a single item. DLC is an invention of the accountant. When the budget runs dry, ship the game. Oh its not finished? We'll just charge them more for that later. I still make a distinction between expansions and DLC. And thankfully some companies still do.

And its not a tin foil hat, its a sauce pan! Get off my lawn! :)

Agayek

Ravenous Gormandizer
Oct 23, 2008
Depends on the particular game. If it's a game I'm fairly confident I'll like, either due to positive recommendations from friends or coming from a trusted developer, a long list of DLC doesn't in any way make me any less likely to buy it.

That said, if it's a completely random game that I'd never heard of before, then yes, a lot of DLC would likely turn me off the game, as it would feel far too much like the developers were trying to nickel and dime me to death.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
No-one's forcing me to buy DLC so I don't really care. If there's a lot of DLC for a game I love then I think of that as a good way to expand the life span of the game I love. What's not to like?

Ertol

Jul 8, 2010
Except the DLC for FF13-2, at least the last time I looked, included two sets of costumes for each character, two sets of in game weapons for each character, and some battles in the Colosseum. The weapons are entirely pointless because there are better weapons in game, and the costumes are purely aesthetic. Other then that the Colosseum battles are just boss fights where you get a new third party member to trade in and out. Nothing there is in anyway necessary to complete the game, nor is it really part of the main game.

I do know they plan on creating substantial DLC additions, for example there is one planned for in which Lightning will be the main character.

Personally I am ok with DLC so long as it is only cosmetics such as costumes, or additional content made by the game designers that is worth the amount of money I spend on it. If it only takes 30 minutes to complete and has no lasting impact or value on the game then I have a problem with $10 DLC.

snekadid

Lord of the Salt
Mar 29, 2012
If its stupid stuff like guns or cake or something then no, because thats stupid crap for stupid people to buy.

If its story stuff then yea, it annoys the crap out of me and makes me feel ripped off. Best example is DAO, where several DLC packs were blatantly ripped from the game content so they could tack on a ransom note for your story. Fall out 3 and Oblivion did it well, i never felt cheated because with the exception of the liberty prime DLC they didn't really feel attached to the main stories and were side stuff. Sure shivering isles was great and would of been great to have from day one, but it came out so much later and didn't actually feel like part of Oblivion so it didn't feel cheap.

You can't really make an argument for DLC being expansion packs because they're about 5 levels below them. lets take brood wars as an example, its built on what starcraft started, provided new units, added a large amount of missions and felt like a sequel rather then a small addon. WoW has expansions, they're big and actually add something to the game. meanwhile ME2 DLC were small, pointless and in comparison to expansions were ridiculously overpriced. 1 character each with little appeal or dialog and an extra loyalty mission. or Human revolution's, one with what is essentially a crap side mission that also unlocks a weapon, or the one that is treated as a separate game that has bugger all to offer.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
kiri2tsubasa said:
I think a lot of people misunderstand the purpose of the GOTY editions of games. Their purpose is to extend the product life cycle of the game (specifically stage 3, maturity).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Product_life-cycle_management_(marketing)

OT: NOpe, doesn't affect me much if at all.
DLC also has that purpose. GOTY Editions are the final cash in after selling the game in pieces. From the consumer point of view, GOTY editions have nothing to do with extending the product life cycle. They have to do with getting the COMPLETE game in one package.

Biosophilogical

Jul 8, 2009
It can be kind of off-putting. I never buy DLC (except stuff that comes with it by default), so when I see a long list of DLC I just think "Everyone else who tells me this game is great is probably doing so having played the DLC, so what if it isn't great without it?". When everyone but me gets the DLC, it can seem a bit like the DLC makes or breaks a game, which can make me a bit more cautious with my purchases.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I don't care if a game has DLC. If I like the game enough, I might get the DLC. I never see the DLC as part of the game itself. It isn't.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
My general rule of thumb is this:

If the game has been out less than a year and already has >2 "Expansions" I walk away.

The DLC model is fine, but I don't want to feel like I'm being nickel and dimed.

It's insulting and it's not even necessary. I want to spend money on games. I want to support developers so they can keep making fun games. I do NOT want to feel like I'm being manipulated or forced to pay multiple times for the "complete" experience.

True expansions are fine. But there are very few of these any more. Dragon Age Awakenings, Red Ded Undead Nightmare. These were Expansions!

It's also about value. Is it worth what they're asking for it? "$10 for a new character?" No.

I don't mind the microtransaction model, especially in F2P games. Then it just feels like I get to choose what I pay for. When a $60 game also has an expansive DLC library it looks and feels like the dev/publishers are trying to have their cake and eat it.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
General rule of thumb for me: If there is a large amount of day one DLC (including promotional items from different game stores) or a elite style edition where you put down a large amount for yet to be announced content, then the game will most likely NOT be bought.

If the publisher or developer is doing this then what's to say they've pulled out content to sell at a later date?

(I' tend to be pessimistic and think the worst of everything)

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
I love long DLC lists, means there is more content for a game I love. The problems I have are all related to it being bad DLC (Read as any DLC for Dragon Age: Origins excluding Shale.
I usually pick and choose what looks important to the game and leave the rest (Shadow Broker for example was extremely important to my Shepard).

I'm pretty unhappy that there isn't more Dragon Age 2 DLC because it was actually fairly good.

Those are all pretty small lists though I guess so I'll go to a better example, Dungeon Defenders has like a million micro DLC packs. I wanted the PAX skins, the expanded story, and the gender swaps but could care less about the cliffs, the challenge packs, EV, and the Barbarian.

malestrithe

Aug 18, 2008
In general, I don't get DLC unless I want to play it. Sometimes, I do not even play through most of the DLC I've purchased. I still have to play through Point Lookout, Operation Anchorage, Honest Hearts and

I just got looking at the FF13-2 DLC list and very little of it appeals to me. I might pick up the weapons because they are cheap enough, but the rest I'll pass on. I just don't care enough to have the main character run around in swim wear, or have her dress like commander Shepard and I'm even less interested in the other stuff. Maybe when its all bundled into a package that costs less than 25 dollars, I might be interested.

Then again, I give it kudos because this is exactly what DLC should be. Little extra things that don't alter gameplay one bit. It does not make change the core game at all, nor does it render the game incomplete simply by existing. Sorry, I don't buy that argument.