Does a long list of DLC turn you off from the game?

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
I love seeing a long list of DLC. It means there are additional features I can have if I decide I want them. I'll also opt for having a choice than not having one.

The_Waspman

Sep 14, 2011
Crono1973 said:
I bought Final Fantasy 13-2 at launch. While I loved the demo, I didn't like the game (I don't understand that but it is what it is) and didn't play more than a few hours. A few days ago I came back and decided to try it again. I started the game and looked at the DLC, the list was long and expensive. This game has not even been out for 3 months and already the list was too long for comfort and would probably add another $60 to the price of the game, complete.

Seeing that, I lost any motivation to play and yesterday I traded it in. I don't even want to start a game that I can't complete without spending a large amount of money. I already paid full price for this game and they want to pay full price again to get the rest of it? That's how I see it.

How do you see it? Does a long list of DLC fill you with dread and zap your motivation to play at all?
The thing about the DLC for FF XIII-2 is that all of it is superfluous. I stopped playing it once I got owned by the first major boss, and only got back into it this week. I was going to wait for all the dlc packs to get bundled together, but have you seen it? Half of it is costumes (which are cosmetic only - if they all had their own bonuses, that'd be different - and the other half are arena battles which don't contribute to the story at all.

I only ever buy DLC to games I know I'm going to keep. If there is any chance I'm going to trade a game in, then I wont buy the DLC, because its pointless just throwing that money away, isn't it?

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Das Boot said:
Crono1973 said:
Seeing that, I lost any motivation to play and yesterday I traded it in. I don't even want to start a game that I can't complete without spending a large amount of money. I already paid full price for this game and they want to pay full price again to get the rest of it? That's how I see it.

How do you see it? Does a long list of DLC fill you with dread and zap your motivation to play at all?
Wait does that mean you will never buy a game new for fear of dlc coming out in the future and making it all of a sudden not complete?
I know how Das Boot feels. But it is getting ridiculous. Ninja Gaiden 3 has been out for less than a month and has two DLC packs costing nearly $40 and there is more on the way next week.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations has a ton of it now.

And I am now in the batch of people that do in fact wait and don't buy a game when it comes out. I have such a big backlog that it doesn't matter either way. I finally picked up Fallout: New Vegas since they came out with the Ultimate Edition a few weeks ago.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I like it if it's cheap. Take Oblivion for example; though the list of DLC is rather long, most of it cost less than a quid, and even though Shivering Isles was rather pricey, it was almost a sequel rather than DLC.

Flailing Escapist

Apr 13, 2011
Yes, it makes me feel like the devs don't care about me at all. A nice dev, who gave a shit about you, would've tried to throw all that extra stuff in there with the og release. I'm talking about when games have up to $60 worth of pointless costumes and maps, especially maps.

IrateDonnie

Apr 1, 2010
Yeah, I hate buying a game & having to spend $25-$50 for all the extra crap. Nothing pisses me off more than seeing "You don't have the required maps to play this playlist" Gamestop loves it though,as soon as I see that I trade the game in.

Shadu

Nov 10, 2010
What? Some games have DLC?

Just kidding.

The answer, oviously, is no for me. I don't even pay attention to DLC half the time, so the amount definitely doesn't bother me.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
It depends on the agme, Mass Effect 2 had some fun worth while DLC that was enjoyable, and some shitty costume DLC that was good.

Then you look at a game like Sims 3, a game I had no interest in and I'm stumped how people buy into that shit. Sims 1 had 3 expansion packs that added a bunch of things per pack, when did they separate it into ...what $500+ in DLC? Any interest I had in that game (none) is gone gone gone with that.

The real problem with DLC is ...a lot of time they don't get reviewed so, for example I'm looking at the Kingdom of Amular DLC and I have no idea if any at all are worth it.

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
Das Boot said:
Crono1973 said:
Expansion packs aren't released on day 1.
Neither is most dlc.

Antari said:
What expansion packs are and were compared to DLC today is world of difference. Actually in alot of cases it was a WORLD that was different. When an expansion comes out six months to a year after the fact with multiple additions ... thats an expansion. DLC is rarely more than a month after release, and then nickle and diming into infinity starts in some cases. Things developed right alongside the game by concept, released literally hours or days after the release of the game itself. As well DLC is usually widdled down to a single item. DLC is an invention of the accountant. When the budget runs dry, ship the game. Oh its not finished? We'll just charge them more for that later. I still make a distinction between expansions and DLC. And thankfully some companies still do.

And its not a tin foil hat, its a sauce pan! Get off my lawn! :)
You are cherry picking which dlc and which expansion packs you want and completely ignoring everything that proves you wrong. There is plenty of dlc out there that is big enough to be called an expansion pack. There also used to be expansion packs that were smaller then your average dlc these days.

You are also making assumptions based on things you dont know which is a bad idea.
If you want to nitpick every single detail down to the last point you can waste your own time. Believe me or not its your choice, I really don't care which you pick.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Depends on the DLC. I tend to ignore stuff that reskins weapons or adds new weapons and only pay attention to story and content based DLC so some DLC doesn't ever factor into my opinion on anything.

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
Oh, DLC? That means there must be a deluxe or game of the year edition pretty soon... and then it either never comes out or I lose interest.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Nieroshai said:
Crono1973 said:
TheKasp said:
You can complete it without spending a load of money.

On Topic: No. I look at DLC when I'm through a game. And then I decide if I buy it. Have yet to come across any game where I got the feeling of an uncomplete game because of DLC.

...and yet by definition a game without all of it DLC is incomplete.
Therefore, a game with an expansion pack is only half a game.

...what???
Really, do I need to explain this again? No, just read back.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
No. I've experienced enough DLC to realize it's unnecessary and doesn't add much to a game.

BUT... if I'm on the fence about a game and there is a GOTY including like $50 of DLC, I'll likely buy it because of the implied value I'm getting for my money. Go figure.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
The_Waspman said:
Crono1973 said:
I bought Final Fantasy 13-2 at launch. While I loved the demo, I didn't like the game (I don't understand that but it is what it is) and didn't play more than a few hours. A few days ago I came back and decided to try it again. I started the game and looked at the DLC, the list was long and expensive. This game has not even been out for 3 months and already the list was too long for comfort and would probably add another $60 to the price of the game, complete.

The thing about the DLC for FF XIII-2 is that all of it is superfluous. I stopped playing it once I got owned by the first major boss, and only got back into it this week. I was going to wait for all the dlc packs to get bundled together, but have you seen it? Half of it is costumes (which are cosmetic only - if they all had their own bonuses, that'd be different - and the other half are arena battles which don't contribute to the story at all.

I only ever buy DLC to games I know I'm going to keep. If there is any chance I'm going to trade a game in, then I wont buy the DLC, because its pointless just throwing that money away, isn't it?
Yeah, I am a man and I am starting to see that FF 13-2 wasn't really meant for me. I don't want a closet full of clothes, digital or not. Mostly though, I feel there are some games that intend to make their money off of DLC. That's ok I guess if they give you the game for cheap or free to play but when they charge you $60, give you a half ass game (it's actually worse than the FF 13) and then insult you with loads of cosmetic DLC from other games, the ending and bosses from previous Final Fantasy games. That just feels like a scam.

chadachada123

Jan 17, 2011
DLC isn't the problem, it's the pricing that is the problem.

Charging 1/4 the price of the freaking GAME just to get 3 multiplayer maps...is insane, to say the least.

In my opinion, when the available DLC for a full-price game equals the cost of 2/3 of the game itself, either the game or the DLC should be free. If only that could be so...*sigh*

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
Most games are designed with the fact that the customer may only buy just that thus should stand on its own merits. DLC normally doesn't expand the game's functionality aside from more things to play with using existing or expanded game mechanics.

If it's something like additional adventures in an RPG or new music tracks to play in a music rhythem game then I'll look into it. Maybe a map pack too but not that likely to get. Anything else I can do without.