Does America have round-abouts?

Jhuyt

Nov 18, 2009
Xpwn3ntial said:
My home town has 12. More than any other city I have seen, and my city has less than 90,000 people in it.
There are 33 in my home town an dwe got 75000 people in it.
We love these things in Sweden

Ren3004

In an unsuspicious cabin
Jul 22, 2009
Well, I personally hate roundabouts. I understand they're necessary when there are like 5 or six intersecting roads, but here, they seem to build a roundabout whenever they feel like it. I've seen a roundabout with two exits... You know, like this -O-

Jonny1188

Oct 8, 2010
I can't even fathom the sheer amount of death and carnage a roundabout would cause where I live. People can'r even drive at the first sign of rain... which is ironic since it rains 80% of the year.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
I live in California and there is one in Fresno. Though I've never heard of it being called a rotary. We call it the roundabout here.

Dwarfman

Oct 11, 2009
Xojins said:
They're not everywhere but we do have them. It's called a rotary where I live.
Okay please forgive the ignorant Aussie savage, but rotary? That's a funky engine in some brands of Japanese sports cars for us! Why did your government come up with the name rotary or is a that simply a popular term for it? Although I'm guessing rotary cause it's round right?

ShasoRmyr

Apr 12, 2010
There's one near where I live that has eight roads connecting to it. It's the bane of all new drivers. (Who are pretty much required to go on it at lest once to get their license.)

Jewrean

Jun 27, 2010
Yay I started a somewhat popular thread over a fairly stupid topic. I guess we can all relate to it somehow... anyway!

4nthr4x

Jun 5, 2010
I love how OP gives a pic for left hand side drivers in the UK and asks Americans what they think of it. Of course they will be confused looking at that! :p

regular roundabaouts are very common in our country.
As for the highways, we also have some good solutions. This one is under construction right now:

it's very easy, and completely along common sense

Eclectic Dreck

Sep 3, 2008
Gxas said:
Yes we do have them. And, after three years of it being in place in my city, people still act like retards when they pull up to it.
I hate roundabouts. At best they tend to be white knuckle affairs. At worst (like the ones in Kuwait City), you simply close your eyes, mash on the gas and hope for the best. You'd think being in an armed and armored HMMWV would give me right of way but people in the middle east yield for nothing.

And for a truly exciting interchange, how about this little number in Dallas, TX:

Magnesium360

FDA Approved!
Mar 9, 2010
Gxas said:
Yes we do have them. And, after three years of it being in place in my city, people still act like retards when they pull up to it.
They're common in Australia and we still have that problem.

PorkChopXpress

Huzzah!
Aug 8, 2010
There aren't many where I live (couple of small ones to reduce street racing, I think), but there are a lot in the country.

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
I have to go through 7 roundabouts just in the 4 minute drive to the other side of town. I think my (extremely) small hometown has some 20 roundabouts alltogether
My theory: They are made to confuse the Germans, should they choose to invade again.
Unfortunately, they look like bulls-eyes from the sky (from a bomber plane, for instance), and I feel that would just encourage them to do what they did last time, and level the town.

C95J

I plan to live forever.
Apr 10, 2010
FalloutJack said:
Does Europe have any cloverleaf roadways? You know, like this?

not in England, but after looking at it for about half a minute it doesn't seem much more difficult to use than a roundabout, basically just going up on ramp and onto another road I guess.

Correct me if I am wrong.

Eclectic Dreck said:
And for a truly exciting interchange, how about this little number in Dallas, TX:
okay this one just scares me...

dex-dex

Oct 20, 2009
In Canada is it more rare to find them. I have encountered about ten at the most in my life time. clover leafs are more common. The reason why the states and Canada don't have as many as the UK or other european countries is space. we have a lot more land to spread out roads. Also we have not been a country for as long as others. When they were just starting out, they saw tons of land and were just giving it away to anyone who came.

Gahars

Feb 4, 2008
Yeah, there's actually one in my neighborhood. Generally, however, they are incredibly rare.

Knusper

Sep 10, 2010
I've always wondered about this since seeing that Simpsons episode, but some Americans I know say they do have them. What I'm wondering is how else do you handle massive junctions?

Guffe

Jul 12, 2009
FalloutJack said:
Jewrean said:
In European countries and also here in my home country of Australia roundabouts are extremely common.

I was told that there are indeed roundabouts in America but are extremely uncommon. This was also shown in the Simpsons when they visited England and were completely clueless about a roundabout.

Roundabouts reduce traffic considerably by means of increasing throughput. I suppose my question is why aren't there many roundabouts in America? If you are not from America; are roundabouts common or uncommon?

A simple roundabout
We do and I've seen them, but now I want to ask a question.

Does Europe have any cloverleaf roadways? You know, like this?

Yes we have those, so you can get from the Motorway to smaller roads and back to the other side in case you missed an intersection. At least here in Finland, and if we got them everyone else also probably got them :)