Does Anyone Here Remember The 80s

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
DarthScorpio11 said:
I'm 21, and was born 11.12.89. So i was a new born around the time the 80s was ending. As a kid, i always though 80s stuff was corny and lame, growing up with CGI stuff like Jarassic Park, and 3D video games like Playstation. However, as i got older, i started becoming more fascinated with 80s. Seems like a pretty cool laid back, and cheesy, yet fun time. I wish i could just walk down the street with a boombox on my shoulder now-a-days. I'd trade my teen years in the 00s for being a teen in the 80s
Ya I remember the 80's .. They were interesting, but I wouldn't say they were better or worse than the 90's or 2k. People were just as crazy. The only real bad part about going back that far is that modems operated about as fast as the average secretary.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I was about 10 when the 80's ended. I lived on a tiny ranch that whole time so, i'm not exactly a font of pop culture of the era. I do remember when the challenger exploded.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Retrospectively; it's an oddball era of change.

-The effective economic collapse of the-then second greatest world superpower
-It marked the last generation who was born "without computers" or mass-media communications (IMs, cell phones, Internet) readily available. Well, unless your family was ludicrously wealthy and you could somehow tolerate 1200 baud modems...

-A super-genre that I can only call "Cornball-Media" followed in the wake of some truly awesome movies from the early 80s (this would later lead us into the Dark Age that was the "Extreme" era in the 90s). But I would still rather take that and get a few good (unintentional) laughs than the Mobius Strip that is today's remake/reboot/sequel-only market.

-The Great Atari Crash, and the Rise of Nintendo.
Seriously. If you were a child in the mid to late 80s, you knew about Nintendo. Their market presence was HUGE just following the crash. (I know someone is going to link the "Power Glove" quote from The Wizard in 3...2...1...)

-Music: Uh, yeah. Synth Cheese and Hair Metal dominates. Hair spray and some of the worst fashion choices in the history of Publicly Approved result. I'm not sure who to blame, but I'm going to ignorantly scapegoat MTV and VH1 because I was too young to really care at the time...
For my own tastes; 80s music is widely polarizing. It's either really really good, or really, brain-rapingly bad. I think Rap began its meteoric takeover of pop music here but the less I think about that the happier I'll be..

-"Jellybean Autos"
With the rise of Japanese imports as a result of significantly hiked fuel prices, we also saw a decline in the shape and types of general purpose autos entering the market. I'm guessing theres a reason nobody gives a toss about "vintage" 1980s autos unless they happen to be Ecto-1 or the Delorian..
Don't mistake me for blaming Japanese autos for this; the American manufacturers all did this for reasons I can only assume are related to fuel economy and optimization (due to the new Fuel Economy and emissions regulations).

And finally:
-"Reaganomics". I was too little to understand what was really going on here, but for you political students out there, I'll just leave you with the one word I remember: "Superfund"

I lived through much of it, but since I was born in the 80s, I can only correlate what I remember with what happened. Except Nintendo. I was a total sheep for Nintendo.

Gulleko

Mar 30, 2011
Dr. Pepper Unlimited said:
I don't remember the 80s considering my age. The only good things that came out of the 1980s were The Breakfast Club and Ferri Bueller's Day Off.
You're forgetting Terminator, The Shining, An American werewolf in London, Hellraiser, Bad Taste, and many other wonderful movies. =)

The 80's also produced the Nintendo Entertainment System, Heavy Metal, and bringing the CD to the masses.
I'd say the 80's was awesome, except for the clothes...

PsychedelicDiamond

Wild at Heart and weird on top
Legacy
Jan 30, 2011
Nah, i was born in 93. I wish though, i would have lived through the 90s more consciously. Everyone says that they were a really good time and as a kid i was not really able to appreciate it. Maybe, if i was a teen back then and actually understood why everyone says they're such a great time.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I was born in the tail end of the 80's, so I don't remember all that much. They did have some great movies, though....

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
Realitycrash said:
Eh, born 86, and can't remember much of it. What was better? The animations are just "better" because of nostalgia, we had no internet, ugly clothes, ugly hair and some pretty stupid television (though we still have that now).
The music was awesome, though.
Pretty much this.

I still think 80's music sounds more futuristic than most of the modern stuff on the radio. Tons more creativity and experimentation, that's for damn sure.

sukotsuto

Nov 15, 2007
Born in 1986. All I could remember about the 80s is that my dad has a mullet, my sister has a famicom, and I watched GI Joe on TV lol.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
80's was good for films and music, bad for fashion and politics. Everything has its ups and downs.

I remember the 80's but as a child I couldn't care much. The 90's didn't suck as much as people make it out to have, and remember, about 10 years ago everyone was banging on about how bad the 80's were. Soon everyone will be slamming the 00's

trooper6

Jul 26, 2008
DarthScorpio11 said:
what about the pictures from "i love the 80s" of people walking down the street smiling in wacky clothes with the boomboxes, and dancing to micheal jackson, and the movies like E.T, and whatnot. I always hear people say stuff like, "man, those were the days..."
"I love the 80s" is one of the main things I blame for this distortion of the 80s. The point of any TV show is to deliver eyes to advertisers. Advertisers don't like to be associated with things they think won't get people in the mood to buy their product. And "I love the 80s" or "I love the 70s" that actually told it like it was, wouldn't match the "funny, happy, cheesy" vibe the show is trying to sell.

DarthScorpio11 said:
how was america not in any threat in the last decade? the people who died in the WTC were just everyday Americans who happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. No one knew if this was going to happen again, or where it was going to happen. Who is that not intimate?
Funnily enough, I was also alive for the 90s, 00s, and now...so I remember all of that, too.

And about 9/11. There was terrorism before 9/11. Airplanes were brought down regularly (Air India Flight 182, Pan Am Flight 103, UTA Flight 772, and on and on). There was the Beirut Barracks Bombing. And if you weren't American is was worse. I remember watching the news all the time as a little American kid and seeing regular reports about terrorists attacks by the IRA against London and all the troubles in Northern Ireland. And in Germany the 70s and 80s saw regular attacks by the Red Army Faction and the Revolutionary Cells, Italy had the Red Brigades, Spain had the ETA.

Also hot wars like Afghanistan and Iraq...I was in the Army during the first Gulf War in 1990. And you know the thing about the Cold War is that involved lots of little wars...the US involvement in the Lebanese Civil War, Grenada, Panama. There were death squads raping nuns in El Salvador. The 80s was full of conflict around the world.

And I have to say, none of those things were as scary and disturbing that the threat of nuclear armageddon. Because that would have destroyed the *entire world.* Not just 500 here or 1000 people there...but *everything.* That is a level of heaviness that is hard to imagine if you didn't live through it.

There is a reason why the end of the 70s, beginning of the 80s brought us some unhappy music--punk, new wave, metal...then there was all the alternative like Joy Division, The Smiths, Tears For Fears, The Cure. Those were some heavy times.

tehfeen83

Oct 17, 2010
Born in 83, so all I really remember about the 80's is He-Man cartoons, Wham bars and having my gloves attached to my jacket with string. Good times.

Arsen

Nov 26, 2008
In the 1980's we had a rather prominent heavy metal scene growing. Iron Maiden, Slayer, Metallica, the best incarnation of Black Sabbath, etc, gave us this awesome musical genre which still grows to this very day.

The 1990's gave us Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Tom fucking Morello, and horrible music in general. It was musical stagnation at its height. The only good band to come out of that decade seems to be Alice in Chains and other notable metal acts from Europe.

I scoff at the 90's.

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
Child of 1975 here. Ah....the 80s. Terrible fashion, hair, and cars. Great music though.

And break dancing!
and parachute pants!

Many fond memories.

Major_Tom

Anticitizen
Jun 29, 2008
I lived in the 80s for about 10 months so the answer should be no, but the 80s didn't come to South-Eastern Europe (and Canada) until 1993. and I remember everything.

Buzz Killington_v1legacy

Likes Good Stories About Bridges
Aug 8, 2009
I'm ancient, so I remember the 80s...and yeah, what other people are saying about the threat of nuclear war constantly hanging over your head is right. The end of the Cold War felt amazing in terms of the relief we all felt.