Does Being Politically Incorrect Makes You A Bigot?

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
No but it might make you a jerk. I've known a few people who used it as an excuse to just be a douche.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
kris40k said:
Cold Shiny said:
According to all liberals, yes, yes it does.
Be careful of the word "all", hyperbole doesn't help your case.
It's common knowledge that "a liberal", "liberals", and "all liberals" all mean different things and it depends on context whether or not a person belongs in or is one of them or all of them.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
Political correctess is fine as a thing, it being forced on people who do not desire it, that is the huge problem here. Let people be how they wanna be as an individual and treat them based on their actions. Trying to turn this into a system and legislate for what good people get to think will not net you much love.

Trying to call someone a bigot so that the label will do the work YOU should be doing refuting what the person is actually saying is at best lazy as hell or at worst deceptive and malicious.

Madmatty

Apr 5, 2016
Political correctness is a cancer that destroys free speech I'm not saying we should not eliminate genuine hatred wherever we find it but political correctness should also be eliminated

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Cold Shiny said:
According to all liberals, yes, yes it does.
Wow, it's so amazing to look at a forum and learn that I held an opinion I wasn't even aware of.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Madmatty said:
Political correctness is a cancer that destroys free speech I'm not saying we should not eliminate genuine hatred wherever we find it but political correctness should also be eliminated
Yeah, protect free speech by destroying a mindset you disagree with. That's how it works.

Dreiko_v1legacy

Aug 28, 2008
erttheking said:
Madmatty said:
Yeah, protect free speech by destroying a mindset you disagree with. That's how it works.
If your mindset is that you should be able to limit free speech, you lose the right to claim to use it when people rise up against you. It's kinda like slavery, if you think it is your right to deny others their rights as free people it is to protect, not damage human rights to take your right to own slaves away from you.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
evilthecat said:
Silentpony said:
Actually its the exact opposite. Being Politically correct makes you a bigot. A bigot defined as "a person who is intolerant toward those holding different opinions". So I'd argue that political correctness, which tries to control the way you talk, is its intolerant of people who don't subscribe to political correctness. Which is a form of bigotry.
But pointing this out is being intolerant towards those who have "politically correct" opinions. Therefore, making this argument or being opposed to political correctness in any form also makes you a bigot.

The problem here is you have an inadequate definition..
That's actually the dictionary definition. I would say if its not an adequate definition, you need to find another word. Maybe try 'acceptance'. I think there was a South Park about the difference between tolerance and acceptance. Tolerant Camps and a Museum of Acceptance. I'll try to find what episode it was...also someone got a hamster shoved up his ass if I remember correctly.

Furthermore I would argue not being politically correct is not bigotry. Political correctness wants to change how you speak and how you view the world, whereas not being that doesn't want to do any of those things. Think of it this way: PC people take offense at the use of certain words. Non-PC don't. A non-PC person couldn't care less what words you use, because they don't really care what words they themselves use. You'll never find an non-PC person demanding, at the top of their lungs with eyes wide and face red, that we need to stop using the term 'Native American' and go back to 'Indian'. You'll never find that zeal, that utter hatred for those not of the same group, in a non-PC person compared to those who are PC. Because they really don't care, as long as no one is trying to silence them.

I myself am not PC, and I'm not intolerant of the PC culture. I can tolerate it just find. I just don't subscribe to it and won't let it influence me. And if someone who is PC finds that offensive and demands I change, that is intolerant. They are bigots. By definition.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Gaymaster Nacelle said:
Why? Anti-PC zealots like this absolutely do exist.
Anti PC, sure. But those people are decidedly involved in the debate. I'm talking about Non-PC. People who are not PC, don't want to be PC, don't care about PC, but won't stop anyone from being PC or voicing their opinion.

Strange as it sounds, there really are people who don't give a fuck and just want to be left alone. Really.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dreiko said:
If your mindset is that you should be able to limit free speech, you lose the right to claim to use it when people rise up against you. It's kinda like slavery, if you think it is your right to deny others their rights as free people it is to protect, not damage human rights to take your right to own slaves away from you.
PC = you should be able to limit free speech? I'm getting told a lot of things about political correctness and, according to a certain poster higher up, how I apparently think. Kind of feels like people are making things up as they go on what it is and how it works.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
KissingSunlight said:
I was noticing that conservatives and liberals were describing Donald Trump's controversial comments differently. People who were for Trump described them as being "politically incorrect" while liberals against Trump were calling them "racist".
It's because it's a lot easier to parse supporting a president who frequently spouts racist nonsense if he's just "telling it like it is" and "sticking it to The Man."

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Gaymaster Nacelle said:
Silentpony said:
Gaymaster Nacelle said:
Why? Anti-PC zealots like this absolutely do exist.
Anti PC, sure. But those people are decidedly involved in the debate. I'm talking about Non-PC. People who are not PC, don't want to be PC, don't care about PC, but won't stop anyone from being PC or voicing their opinion.

Strange as it sounds, there really are people who don't give a fuck and just want to be left alone. Really.
Ah ok, I thought you were doing like a "Christians always try to push, but atheists are logical and tolerant" thing - ok then.
Oh yeah, no. Not at all what I meant to say. There are total shitheels on both sides of the pro/anti PC divide, absolutely. And both sides could be considered bigoted. Its just the non-PC people who wash their hands of the whole business I consider to not be bigots.

DudeistBelieve

TellEmSteveDave.com
Sep 9, 2010
Worgen said:
No but it might make you a jerk. I've known a few people who used it as an excuse to just be a douche.
This. I tend to find it's always the people that embrace this label are always super confrontational and shit. They're also people that claim they're "telling it like it is"

No. You can't tell it like it is, because you haven't a fucking clue how it is. No one fucking does, I really wish people in general would pull their head out of their ass and realize most of their opinions aren't based on sound judgement. You don't know shit, I don't know shit, no one knows anything. Shit is very complex and ain't nobody got time for that.

I don't think saying controversial things alone makes someone a racist or a bigot or a sexist or ableist or whatever the fuck. In my opinion those things require one thing: Hate in a person's heart nothing more and nothing less.

ya know, it's like the people that see a transgendered person and not want to use the preferred pronouns... which hey, I get the frustration beyond transphobia since I hop on Twitter and it's one thing to want to use They as your pronoun, but some people are flat out making up words. Someone wanted to be called "zhr" I am not making that up. How the fuck do you even pronounce that?

That bullshit aside though, I'm more than happy to just call a person whatever gender they want to be, use whatever pronoun (though granted I'll probably fuck it up)... Is that me being PC? I don't think it is. That's me just being polite and friendly. I don't feel like calling someone their preferred gender affects me in any way what so-ever and it's such a small thing to do that'll make a person feel welcome.

...That is unless the person is making up shit like "zhr" cause then, ya know, fuck off. You're making up shit. There is not even a fucking vowel in that word.