Does Final Fantasy XIV have a shot against World of Warcraft?

Racthoh

Feb 9, 2009
HyenaThePirate said:
WoW's days will eventually be numbered... there was a time when Everquest was untoppable as THE imminent RPG. What WoW did however is it made the entire game an OPTIONAL affair... what I mean by that is that YOU can play it with 6 of your best friends or play it to max level by yourself. Lets face it... sometimes you want to just play by yourself or with your best friend and WoW did a phenomenal job of making the game fully accessible to both styles of game play. I cant even think of another RPG on the market where you can easily and naturally level all the way to the maximum level without insane gearing or preperation and tactics.

Until another game does that, with the level of inventive single player content, WoW is going to hold on to the mainstream market the same way the Wii is.
Guild Wars does the same and better. One thing I truly hate about WoW is how every encounter is basically a 1 on 1 affair for the entirety of leveling to the cap. Guild Wars by comparison gives you AI controlled players if no one else is around to tag along. It actually makes combat a lot more interesting and enjoyable. The one downfall, depending on how you look at it, is endgame content consists entirely of title grinding and buying pretty weapons and armor. It does however place a heavier focus on individual player skill and game mechanics instead of gear.

I wouldn't mind seeing WoW fall because it's honestly a rather boring game. The endgame content is so horribly designed it's baffling.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
No. There is only one thing that can kill WoW - World of Warcraft 2.

Did you know that WoW is one of the few things, besides cockroaches and SPAM that woudl survive the nuclear apocolypse? Even after nuclear armageddon someone,somewhere will still want to go on a raid.

Altorin

Jack of No Trades
May 16, 2008
It doesn't have to beat WoW.

it doesn't even have to come close to beating WoW to be successful.

TheRockNRolla

Apr 9, 2009
If FFXIV is anything like FFXI, no. It will not.

I only say this because FFXI is hard. It requires a lot of commitment.

Credge

Apr 12, 2008
This entire thing is stupid.

Why would anyone want WoW to be killed? Are you not satisfied with WoW? Quit playing it. There ARE better MMO's out there.

FF14 won't kill WoW. WoW will slowly die off. Eventually MMO's will equal and eventually beat the number of players, but it won't be killed. It's absurd.

Khazoth

Sep 4, 2008
Eh, Warcraft aside, I really hate to say it will be successful, not as successful as Warcraft, or even in the top three, but successful.

Final Fantasy fans are as rabid as a pack of dogs, and I was quite tempted to make an intelligence joke in there but i'll be nice. Regardless, Square Enix could produce Final Fantasy brand toliet seats and they would sell.

Woe Is You

Jul 5, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
I think people want WOW dead so Blizzard will go back to making other games with slightly more urgency
3 games and a completely new MMO isn't enough for people?

Indigo_Dingo said:
Its not like the numbers are that unobtainable. Free Realms got a million users in half a month
No, but they're extremely hard to reach. Age of Conan and Warhammer Online both got about a million users for about 2 weeks or so but they both ended up with less than half that as actual long time subscribers.

Not to mention Freerealms is really more of a competitor for Habbo Hotel at its current state than it is for any MMO.

Bellvedere

Jul 31, 2008
Curtmiester said:
Sorry but WoW has 11 million people or something like that. Taking that down is like trying on the Death Star with a stick and some yogurt. Its not going to happen...
Macgyver could.

Wow was first released nearly 5 years ago now. Obviously I know that the new content is still being released and the community is still strong. But it seems to me that WoW might start to struggle in the presence of these next-gen MMOs, not just FFIV.

Fenixhart

Mar 26, 2009
Racthoh said:
HyenaThePirate said:
WoW's days will eventually be numbered... there was a time when Everquest was untoppable as THE imminent RPG. What WoW did however is it made the entire game an OPTIONAL affair... what I mean by that is that YOU can play it with 6 of your best friends or play it to max level by yourself. Lets face it... sometimes you want to just play by yourself or with your best friend and WoW did a phenomenal job of making the game fully accessible to both styles of game play. I cant even think of another RPG on the market where you can easily and naturally level all the way to the maximum level without insane gearing or preperation and tactics.

Until another game does that, with the level of inventive single player content, WoW is going to hold on to the mainstream market the same way the Wii is.
Guild Wars does the same and better. One thing I truly hate about WoW is how every encounter is basically a 1 on 1 affair for the entirety of leveling to the cap. Guild Wars by comparison gives you AI controlled players if no one else is around to tag along. It actually makes combat a lot more interesting and enjoyable. The one downfall, depending on how you look at it, is endgame content consists entirely of title grinding and buying pretty weapons and armor. It does however place a heavier focus on individual player skill and game mechanics instead of gear.

I wouldn't mind seeing WoW fall because it's honestly a rather boring game. The endgame content is so horribly designed it's baffling.
Guild Wars also isn't an MMO. And how is the endgame content "Badly designed?" That's kinda vague.

not a zaar

Dec 16, 2008
TheRockNRolla said:
If FFXIV is anything like FFXI, no. It will not.

I only say this because FFXI is hard. It requires a lot of commitment.
FFXI is not hard, it's poorly designed. It's a distinct difference.

Redlac

Dec 12, 2007
Will FF14 beat World of Warcraft?

Unlikely I think, but hey, there's a chance. We haven't actually seen it yet. It would take some work to shift 11 million people from one MMO to another!

Still, Having played FFXI for a few years I'm chuffed. Although XI had rocky beginnings the devs did a lot of tweaking and seven years on it's still got around half a million players across the globe. That's not too shabby an achievement!

WoW Killer? Probably not. Decent MMO for my PS3? I certainly hope so.

jockslap

May 20, 2008
Khazoth said:
-Seraph- said:
Khazoth said:
No, because Final Fantasy sucks, but it sucks even harder as an MMO.

Those Final Fantasy fans, for the most part, want to play as the effeminate emo oddball with the massive sword. Though i'm sure a lot of them would settle for a cat-girl.
Go troll somewhere else please.

Oh yes, trolling, the act of not agreeing... Oh wait. But to be fair I didn't put a lot of effort into my post because arguing with Final Fantasy fans is like slamming your head against a brick wall. In the end you accomplish nothing and your head hurts.

But fine, if you want me to put actual effort into it. World of Warcraft has a sturdy and massive fanbase and for a game to beat it, they would have to steal some of its members away. Final Fantasy and Warcraft fans hardly ever overlap and therefore it already has one mark against it. Final Fantasy already has one MMO, one MMO that their fans have put a lot of effort into. So they will be competiting with themselves, or they could close down the other Final Fantasy and alienate their fans.
]

Perhaps rather than fail epicly in you're response, you might have been wise to simply say the game isn't for you. Personally I do not enjoy the game, but rather than be a douche about it, I claim it isnt a game that i enjoy. To announce that Final Fantasy sucks is narrow minded and overall fairly ignorant of you. The way I see it, if that many people love a game that much, chances are it's got something going for it.

But i digress, i doubt FF-whatever they're on now has much of a chance against World of Warcraft, there are just too many players, a new game that intends to overthrow World of Warcraft is going to have to have one hell of an innovative secret weapon, unless they can give someone real incentive to leave the World of Warcraft, it's just not going to happen.

Cargando

Apr 8, 2009
I get your point, but still in comprison to WoW, Final Fantasy is tiny. And, conversely no-one I know has a Final Fantasy game.

xChevelle24

Mar 10, 2009
Khazoth said:
No, because Final Fantasy sucks, but it sucks even harder as an MMO.

Those Final Fantasy fans, for the most part, want to play as the effeminate emo oddball with the massive sword. Though i'm sure a lot of them would settle for a cat-girl.
*starts applauding*

Thank you. Just, thank you. I couldn't agree any more that Final Fantasy sucks.

Fenixhart

Mar 26, 2009
Ghostwise said:
85 million units sold in the Final Fantasy franchise.
Can't suck too bad I guess. :D

http://kotaku.com/5223829/anyone-for-lifetime-final-fantasy-sales-figures

Some of the greatest games ever. I grew up playing Final Fantasy on the Nintendo in the mid 80's so some of you kids who grew up with a PS2 wouldn't have a clue about what video games used to be like and the innovations Squenix made in the industry. Go try playing a Vetrex or Intellivision. That's the shit I had to endure and am thankful for the jumps in technology for my prefered entertainment venue.
True.

The Face and cliques many associate with Final Fantasy are almost all Post FF VII. The gigantic swords and Belts and Zippers galore didn't exist untill FF VII :/