Does New Korean Game Rip Off Team Fortress 2?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Looks like TF2 if Gabe Newell had been a Korean with a fetish for school girls and Stik Fas figures...

Inspired? I think inspired was well and truly blown out the door when the one eyed chap with a funny hat and a rotary grenade launcher appeared.
Once the gameplay comes out we'll all know, but the only things missing were one that can turn invisible and one that can heal people.

Fat Hippo

Prepare to be Gnomed
Legacy
May 29, 2009
Yep, this looks like a more asian (and lame) version of TF2. No real point to it, unless you're an anime fanboy. Can't see Valve pulling a dick move like actually sueing them though, so meh, it's all good.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Everything's a rip-off these days. We even have excuses like "All the best ideas are stolen" and "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

If anything, it's more of a rip-off of the film Small Soldiers.
Yep, nothgin is original, and people who complain need to stop caring.
Well nothing is truly original, as everything contains some influence, but these two are far too similar to not piss some people off. If the gameplay is similar as well this could actually become breech of copyright. I mean, just looking at that video, the character specialities, the graphics, the comical styles and even the bombs (EDIT: Weapons in general) are surprisingly similar.

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
Well actually Team Fortress was hardly an original idea it just grew off of other multi-player deathmatch games and combined a lot of concepts that already existed scattered all over the place together in one game. Over time it did innovate, but you can't really say "oh yes, that was really unique".

In general any kind of team based shooter game is going to be similar to Team Fortress 2.

As far as the Koreans ripping it off, I have no doubt. Developers rip off each other all the time which is how things keep involving (ie rip offs and tweaks, and those tweaks generally represent progression).

In general I'm surprised they haven't done it before now as they rip pretty much everything off. Korea does innovate but you see more derivitive products coming from their game industry than anything. Look at like Korean MMORPGs which have become a sort of prolific joke on the internet. :)

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
Cpt_Oblivious said:
I think there is more of an argument for TF2 based on the sole fact that it's traditional to rip-off good material. I remember that movie being terrible.

Obvious comparisons aside, it actually reminds me a little of the old Army Men games they made on the N64.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
Oh yes, because Valve totally invented the concept of combattants in multiplayer using weapons like a sniper rifle, bazooka, machine gun, shotgun, minigun, or grenade launcher. Its not like we'd seen all that before in 2001. Nope, before that, all online multiplayer had was sticks and rocks.

Honestly, get over them. The similarity is that there is a lot of action and the characters use weapons? What the hell is wrong with all of you?
You're either blind, or trying to play Devil's Advocate. I'm not gonna say it's a huge deal where we need to march down to their studio with pitchforks and torches, but the comparisons are pretty blatant. If nothing else, the Sniper and the way the bat chick rebounded off of some wall before coming down for the strike are obvious shots taken directly from TF2 Meet The Team videos without even needing a side-by-side comparison.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
So it's TF2 with girls? I'd buy that.

@dingo: you played TF@, right? There's similarities, and then there's fucking copies man. No TF2 isn't the only game with a grenade launcher, but it's the only one with that exact design, and that function. Hell, even the blood and gibs are exactly the same.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
WhiteTigerShiro said:
Indigo_Dingo said:
Oh yes, because Valve totally invented the concept of combattants in multiplayer using weapons like a sniper rifle, bazooka, machine gun, shotgun, minigun, or grenade launcher. Its not like we'd seen all that before in 2001. Nope, before that, all online multiplayer had was sticks and rocks.

Honestly, get over them. The similarity is that there is a lot of action and the characters use weapons? What the hell is wrong with all of you?
You're either blind, or trying to play Devil's Advocate. I'm not gonna say it's a huge deal where we need to march down to their studio with pitchforks and torches, but the comparisons are pretty blatant. If nothing else, the Sniper and the way the bat chick rebounded off of some wall before coming down for the strike are obvious shots taken directly from TF2 Meet The Team videos without even needing a side-by-side comparison.
Yes, but that can come under homage for the purpose of trailer, not ripoff of the game.
Perhaps. Like I said, not saying it's a huge deal, just saying that it's impossible to deny it.

sooperman

Partially Awesome at Things
Feb 11, 2009
"says H.A.V.E. Online is being called 'an embarrassment' to the Korean videogame industry"

Wait, the Korean videogame industry has put out something that doesn't embarrass itself?? When was this? Before or after countless crappy MMOs?

ZeroMachine

Oct 11, 2008
Indigo_Dingo said:
ZeroMachine said:
Indigo_Dingo said:

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

You are kidding me, right? Right? Please, tell me you're kidding me!

Did you even watch that video? It's not about the gameplay, it's about the look and feel of things! They're all torn directly and slightly modified from Team Fortress 2! This isn't a normal case of "it's been done before and better", this is "it's been done before in the same exact way". Anyone who can't see that... well... may as well be looking at an elephant, see another slightly shorter one that has slightly darker skin walk up and stand right next too the first one, and then say "that's not an elephant".

Seriously, Dingo, anyone that can't see that it's a complete ripoff is blind and deaf.
Or has some perspective. I'm talking about unfounded assumptions. Everyone is assuming straight off the bat that this is class based, with no prior information. I'm pointing out that if you take away the rigid class structure, TF2 mirrors the weapon setup of at least 20 multiplayer games, offline and on, that I've played over the years. If the weapons themselves are pickups, then all of your claims of it being a ripoff is pure and utter internet retardation and fanboyism. And the visuals don't look that similar, this one is more an anime style.
Again, we're not talking gameplay here. I'm assuming it will be similar, but I can't know, so I'm not judging it on that. Visually, though, denying the incredible similarity is borderline stupidity. The characters may look more anime-like, but the way they move, the expressions... it's all TF2. The items you could see were of near identical design to TF2 ones. The shading, model design, and everything looked like some fans sat down and decided to make a mod of TF2.

Also, the sound. Yes, the sound effects in TF2 aren't exactly original, but at this point if someone here's the chaingun sound from that trailer, if they've seen even just the first Meet the Team video, the first thing they'll think is "isn't that the Heavy's gun?" especially since the user, though obviously doesn't look like the Heavy from TF2, moves in exactly the same way in the trailer. And the music... I shouldn't even have to explain that.

I don't understand how you couldn't be seeing this. I'm not about to get all up in arms about the game, as it's not my job nor civic duty, but there is no denying that this game is trying to feed off of TF2's style and popularity. If this game ends up being a squad based FPS, I can almost guarantee that Valve will sue. If not, then it'll just be looked at as "that game that looks like TF2 but plays differently".

I don't know, maybe you just aren't good at picking up on asthetic feels. I just don't get how you can't see this.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
NoMoreSanity said:
Zombie_Fish said:
NoMoreSanity said:
Cpt_Oblivious said:
Everything's a rip-off these days. We even have excuses like "All the best ideas are stolen" and "Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery".

Yep, nothing is original, and people who complain need to stop caring.
Well nothing is truly original, as everything contains some influence, but these two are far too similar to not piss some people off. If the gameplay is similar as well this could actually become breech of copyright. I mean, just looking at that video, the character specialities, the graphics, the comical styles and even the bombs are surprisingly similar.
Well by the looks of it it seems to be TF2 but more insane. And I like the sound of that.
Is it even possible to get more insane than this?

Or would everyone simultaneously combust from pure awesomnemess?