Doldrums and Oddities: Share Something Bemusing

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I sometimes wonder just what was going through our ancestors heads considering what has made it into our diets.

"Hey, see the milk coming out of the cow over there? Let's steal some and drink it. That's not wierd at all to drink the milk of another species"
"Oh, the milk went bad and turned solid. Wonder what it tastes like?"-The first human to taste cheese.
"The grapes went bad and turned into a very....strong juice. Maybe we could make more of this"-The first wine taster.
"Hey, what if we put this plant in our mouths and light it on fire?"-The first hemp/weed/tobacco(whichever one came first) user

I suspect people were really bored or really desperate at times.
I've personally always wondered about the first person to eat crab and/or lobster. Who saw those living nightmares with pincers and a shell and decided "I'm gonna eat that."

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
I've personally always wondered about the first person to eat crab and/or lobster. Who saw those living nightmares with pincers and a shell and decided "I'm gonna eat that."
Oysters. Love 'em, but seriously, someone had to be downright starving.
I saw it posited in a documentary that beer was someone dug a hole and stored grain there to pick up later. It rained and soaked the grain but when the person returned, s/he ate/drank it anyway. And millennia later, Budweiser was born.
ITMT:
1622119963080.png

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
Oysters. Love 'em, but seriously, someone had to be downright starving.
I saw it posited in a documentary that beer was someone dug a hole and stored grain there to pick up later. It rained and soaked the grain but when the person returned, s/he ate/drank it anyway. And millennia later, Budweiser was born.
ITMT:
View attachment 3825
Apparently Apes have been found drinking fermented fruit in nature and there's this article on the "Drunken Monkey" Hypothesis.

Reactions: gorfias

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
I keep a Hotmail address as a spam-catcher, as well as for things I sign up for that I don't want to give my primary Email address. Today in its Spam folder I found an Email with my real name (that I don't use for anything public on the Internet, ever, and is not the name I use for the Hotmail account) in the title, purporting to be from a car dealership in New Jersey, offering to buy my 2014 Hyundai Accent.

While I lived in New Jersey until I was 24 (in the same neighborhood as the dealership), I moved out-of-state two decades ago, and at no point have I ever owned an Accent. And the links in the Email are bogus in a subtle way (they use "my" in the dealership name), but the "from" address is a marketing website that may or may not be how the dealership handles marketing.

This has got to be the weirdest spam/possibly scam Email I've ever gotten, and I semi-regularly get spam in Arabic.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
To be fair, I still can't bring myself to eat Crayfish, because they look like Insects and creeps me out.

Except I can eat lobster, crab and shrimp which also look like insects. Don't aske me how that works because I have no idea.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure somebody went "It's moving. It's got to have meat on it somewhere" and we know what happened from there. I'm pretty sure people(or our ape ancestors) tried eating rocks at some point just to see if they could, especially during the lean times.

Last edited:

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Trying them can change your mind! About 2:30 for about 1-2 min....
Sorry, pal, but for me, oysters are like gay sex: I'd much rather assume it's awful than actually try it and find out I love it.

To be fair, I still can't bring myself to eat Crayfish, because they look like Insects and creeps me out.

Except I can eat lobster, crab and shrimp which also look like insects. Don't aske me how that works because I have no idea.

But yeah, I'm pretty sure somebody went "It's moving. It's got to have meat on it somewhere" and we know what happened from there. I'm pretty sure people(or our ape ancestors) tried eating rocks at some point just to see if they could, especially during the lean times.
That is odd; for all intents and purposes, crawfish are tiny lobsters. What, you prefer the insects be HUGE before you'll eat them? A good friend of ours is the local crawfish king, puts on several boils a year, even hosts one at our local watering hole where people come in by the dozens for hours to eat his "mud bugs." I'll eat one or two, but it's more for the social side of things; I don't ever crave them or eat them by the pound like many do. They're a lot of work with little appreciable return.

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I ordered something coming from the US. Might take a while since I think the package is doing a tour of all 50 states. It's already been in 4 of them.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I ordered something coming from the US. Might take a while since I think the package is doing a tour of all 50 states. It's already been in 4 of them.
I sent something to South Africa back in December; tracking shows it arrived in SA, but still has not been delivered.

Also, I got a Christmas card from my aunt in Ohio back in March; it was postmarked December 11th. I texted her, and she was as shocked as I was though it did explain my not thanking her as she'd expected.

Just saying, good luck...

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
I sent something to South Africa back in December; tracking shows it arrived in SA, but still has not been delivered.

Also, I got a Christmas card from my aunt in Ohio back in March; it was postmarked December 11th. I texted her, and she was as shocked as I was though it did explain my not thanking her as she'd expected.

Just saying, good luck...
Well, it's coming from Seattle WA, then went to Portland OR, then to Reno NV for some reason, then to an international distribution center in San Francisco CA. Not really sure why those two stops in the middle, but whatever. So I hope the next step is a plane, hopefully to Europe, but I'm guessing there'll be one more stop on the east coast first. Ooooh, and another in Kansas before that, just for shits and giggles.

And maybe one in the UK, since I remember from previous experience that stuff from the US tends to pass through there before distribution to the rest of Europe, but maybe that's not the case anymore with the whole Brexit debacle. But that doesn't really bother me, I see London in the tracker, I'll know it'll be two days before arrival.

Reactions: Xprimentyl

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Well, it's coming from Seattle WA, then went to Portland OR, then to Reno NV for some reason, then to an international distribution center in San Francisco CA. Not really sure why those two stops in the middle, but whatever. So I hope the next step is a plane, hopefully to Europe, but I'm guessing there'll be one more stop on the east coast first. Ooooh, and another in Kansas before that, just for shits and giggles.

And maybe one in the UK, since I remember from previous experience that stuff from the US tends to pass through there before distribution to the rest of Europe, but maybe that's not the case anymore with the whole Brexit debacle. But that doesn't really bother me, I see London in the tracker, I'll know it'll be two days before arrival.
Can't speak for every US supply chain, but I know the one I work for has various hubs for consolidation purposes, so a smaller operation sends goods to a larger hub which sends it to a larger hub until they've consolidated enough goods with a same/similar destination, so that might be what you're experiencing. Yes, I'd imagine your shipment will see an east coast stop before heading your way; no plane or ship is going to traverse the contiguous 48 from the west headed for western Europe; at that point it'd almost make more sense to ship it west from the west and come at you from the East, but that doesn't make much logistical sense either...

Last edited:

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Can't speak for every US supply chain, but I know the one I work for has various hubs for consolidation purposes, so a smaller operation sends goods to a larger hub which sends it to a larger hub until they've consolidated enough goods with a same/similar destination, so that might be what you're experiencing. Yes, I'd imagine your shipment will see an east coast stop before heading your way; no plane or ship is going to traverse the contiguous 48 from the west headed for western Europe;
I suspected as much. it just comes off kind of strange to me, being from a small country and usually buying internationally from other countries small enough that there aren't multiple intermediate steps, because there's not real need for them.
at that point it'd almost make more sense to ship it west from the west and come at you from the East, but that doesn't make much logistical sense either...
Cuz I'm pretty sure it'd be at least twice as far. Then again, I work in food distribution, so I'm kind of used to companies not always making a lot of logistical sense.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I honestly spent the last 30 minutes, completely at a loss for Morgan Freeman's name. I kept calling him Gordon Freeman in my head, but knew that was wrong. I wasn't in a situation to be able to google it, due to clients and other factors. But my brain kept saying Gordon Freeman, Gordon Freeman.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
I honestly spent the last 30 minutes, completely at a loss for Morgan Freeman's name. I kept calling him Gordon Freeman in my head, but knew that was wrong. I wasn't in a situation to be able to google it, due to clients and other factors. But my brain kept saying Gordon Freeman, Gordon Freeman.
'Tis odd that one of the most iconic voices in Hollywood and one of the most notorious silent protagonists in gamedom would have names so similar. There's gotta be a meme out there along these lines; that, or I'm missing my chance to be internet famous by disclosing this idea on a low-traffic internet forum for no gain save a like or two...

Reactions: happyninja42

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED AT THE WUHAN LAB

View attachment 3869
I completely and totally, 100%, believe this is what actually happened. I've been stuck at home with a cat for over a year, and yes, they ruin EVERYTHING.

Selfishness + four legs + inability to speak, but ability to vocalize aforementioned selfishness = cat.