Doom Reboot Revealed by Bethesda

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Doom Reboot Revealed by Bethesda

Bethesda's unnanounced new title is a reboot of the iconic FPS: Doom.

Read Full Article

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
It doesnt seem to try to be scary and thats nice since Doom was never supposed to be scary. Other then that...

Vicarious Reality

Jul 10, 2011
Que whoa what wait why?
Now i am imagining a terrible doom mod for Skyrim
About time something came, even if it is not what they promised

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
I hate to be that guy, but it's "id" or "ID." The internet one day all decided to start calling them "iD," but they have never actually stylized it that way.

...the more you know.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
I don't know why they are so obsessed with turning Doom into some sort of storydriven horror game, just hire Slayer, Exodus, Morbid Angel and Kreator and make a kick ass action game where you dodge projectiles and kill badass demons while traversing hell, that would be soo much cooler than this boring crap. Sigh, it's tough to be a fan of all the Doom games before Doom 3 ruined the series.

Now that that's out of the way, i hope i'm wrong in every possible way and that this new Doom is pure gameplay driven action with a kick ass soundtrack and tons of enemies that needs to be slain. It needs to be the opposite of Doom 3.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Based on Wolfenstein, I am quietly optimistic for this.

Although, I want to find the exec who decided not to call it DOOM 4 and personally feed him/her to a Cacodemon. For clarity's sake this is surely going to get a subtitle or number, or else beforever doomed to be known as Besthesda Doom, BDoom or Not Doom, since Doom is well, Doom.

I just hope they remember to keep the minimal story, maximum violence them going, Doom 3 was fine, but it would have been better with less story and MOAR SHOOTING!

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
MrBaskerville said:
I don't know why they are so obsessed with turning Doom into some sort of storydriven horror game, just hire Slayer, Exodus, Morbid Angel and Kreator and make a kick ass action game where you dodge projectiles and kill badass demons while traversing hell, that would be soo much cooler than this boring crap.
While I support this idea 100%, I don't think that that kind of game would move the number of copies Zenimax is looking for to justify their $100+ million investment in the company. According to id, Doom 3 was their most successful game ever. They're going to try to recapture that success, rather than stick with what made the series great in the first place.

I'm not really sure who's to blame for the company's awful shift over the last decade, but I have a hunch it's Tim Willits. Everything seemed to be fine before he took over the design team, and he considers his one true hit -- Quake 3 -- to be his biggest failure.

step1999

Mar 11, 2010
SirBryghtside said:
Vicarious Reality said:
Que whoa what wait why?
It's not going to be done by the same team as The Elder Scrolls - it's going to be done by the original developers (ID Software) whose games are published by Bethesda Softworks and who released Wolfenstein: The New Order earlier this year. In fact, getting a Beta invite for this DOOM reboot's multiplayer was a preorder bonus for Wolfenstein [http://www.wolfenstein.com/en-gb/doom]so this reveal is a lot less surprising than the article suggests.
ID didn't make Wolfenstien New Order, Machine Games did.

MrBaskerville

Mar 15, 2011
ResonanceGames said:
MrBaskerville said:
I don't know why they are so obsessed with turning Doom into some sort of storydriven horror game, just hire Slayer, Exodus, Morbid Angel and Kreator and make a kick ass action game where you dodge projectiles and kill badass demons while traversing hell, that would be soo much cooler than this boring crap.
While I support this idea 100%, I don't think that that kind of game would move the number of copies Zenimax is looking for to justify their $100+ million investment in the company. According to id, Doom 3 was their most successful game ever. They're going to try to recapture that success, rather than stick with what made the series great in the first place.

I'm not really sure who's to blame for the company's awful shift over the last decade, but I have a hunch it's Tim Willits. Everything seemed to be fine before he took over the design team, and he considers his one true hit -- Quake 3 -- to be his biggest failure.
I think the problem is that ID Software lost all the people that made it great. John Romero and American Mcgee aren't particularily good when they work on their own, but together with Carmack they worked wonders in those early years. Now ID Software only have a flair for tech, Rage and Doom 3 were horribly designed games, but they had some impressive new tech to show off. Unfortunately good tech doesn't equal good games.

ResonanceGames

Feb 25, 2011
step1999 said:
SirBryghtside said:
Vicarious Reality said:
Que whoa what wait why?
It's not going to be done by the same team as The Elder Scrolls - it's going to be done by the original developers (ID Software) whose games are published by Bethesda Softworks and who released Wolfenstein: The New Order earlier this year. In fact, getting a Beta invite for this DOOM reboot's multiplayer was a preorder bonus for Wolfenstein [http://www.wolfenstein.com/en-gb/doom]so this reveal is a lot less surprising than the article suggests.
Yeah, and I'd feel a lot better about the new Doom game if they were making that as well. At least we could be sure it will be a solid, fun shooter. Rage was not a game that inspired confidence.

iniudan

Apr 27, 2011
It's Doom, no need for story, you put some random marine, that we will call Doomguy, in a room, give him a pistol, some zombie marine with their back turned to him, with a door ahead of them and here we go, you got the perfect Doom start.

BeeGeenie

May 30, 2012
That didn't look like Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson at all. I am disappoint.

Also, it should be "Doom 4," not "Doom." Stupid publishers don't know how to count. tsk tsk

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
ResonanceGames said:
I hate to be that guy, but it's "id" or "ID." The internet one day all decided to start calling them "iD," but they have never actually stylized it that way.

...the more you know.
That was probably done by people who are too accustomed to the iDevice naming scheme.

OP: Considering the last release of Doom, as essentially Doom 3: The Apology Edition, I'm willing to accept anything new with Doom these days.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
ResonanceGames said:
step1999 said:
SirBryghtside said:
Vicarious Reality said:
Que whoa what wait why?
Yeah, and I'd feel a lot better about the new Doom game if they were making that as well. At least we could be sure it will be a solid, fun shooter. Rage was not a game that inspired confidence.
They could probably even add a totally unnecessary story to it that ends up being actually rather interesting and not conflicting with the gameplay at all.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
*Looks at box of Wolfenstein: The New Order which advertises beta access to DOOM* I... I don't think this is really news... that said, I'm interested.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
If it'll let me speed through levels at 40mph while carrying 10 guns at once and wildly firing from the hip at hordes of demonspawn while soaking up enough firepower to level a small city, then I'm in. If not, then it isn't really Doom, all modern advances in FPS be damned.

remmus

Aug 31, 2009
lets hope it´s less jumpy scary Doom and more high octane fps action like the classics, and its gonna have a awesome shotgun or two right developers...right? *gives the devs a threatening death glare*

Ohlookit'sMatty

Sep 11, 2008
The main question we have to ask is: is the world ready for a new/reboot of DOOM? I'm going to go with yes, yes it is

As long as it is a throw back to the first doom game and not like the fps that we have now

-M