DotA vs LoL...which is better?

kingthrall

May 31, 2011
Yosharian said:
Snip long quote (with respects).
I am loving your comparisons, cause no matter the weight of potential either one has over the other. They still are ants in a giants playground of better constructed games in terms of detail.

Myth 2 Features- Compared to LOL/DOTA

*Epic storyline
*Amazing symphony music, most famous the siege of madrigal for you halo fans this is where its actually from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8hTgvNsqb9Y

*Unique monsters- such as Trow, Mauls and Myrkidia
*Co-op single player mode- can play campaigns with as many as 16 player per game.
*Free downloadable Myth 1 standalone game run on myth 2 engine.
*Experience on units, faster attacks, more accurate archery.
*Friendly Fire, Realistic artillery such as warlock fireballs and arrows that miss and fly in the air.
* Height advantage and Real time tactics, bouncing grenades and dud grenades to create a sense of slight randomness
*littered corpses of dismembered bodies, blood + char splatters. No fade away corpses

Multiplayer- solid 70-200 players still play today

*10 different objective modes, Capture the flag, Last man on the hill, steal the bacon, Territories, Balls on Parade, Assasin, Stampede, Hunting, Flag Rally, King of the Hill. Each requiring you to purchase a different army trade to suit the objective.

*16 players per game room, Free For All, 2-6 teams maximum, odd number on players on teams allowed, able to kick players,

*Easy to use on-line chat lobby, can whisper ect.

Tournaments- Holds the longest running tournament for a game the myth world cup
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYBNln7BE7M&feature=related

Well if you can beat that good luck to you...

Oh almost forgot to mention that Myth does not have A-holes because the community wants fresh players in the game, everyone knows each other and you will find people who are bigots/droppers and suiciders tend to get kicked out of games frequently.

Cracker3011

May 7, 2009
I play both (kinda), and I'm mainly a LoL guy. DotA 2 IS, if you were going by technicalities, probably the 'better' game. However, I find LoL to be far more fun. Mana is much more plentiful, so you can actually use abilities in lane to harass the enemy. In DotA 2, cast a few spells and that's you out of mana for the next eternity (at least, it feels that way), and DotA 2 health and mana potions are SLOOOOOOOOOOW.

LoL is by far easier to pick up as well, with an item store that you can actually find stuff in, a more-or-less consistent metagame meaning team compositions are much less of a hassle to sort out, a smaller map, easier last-hitting, no creep/tower/hero denying, a free teleport back to base whenever you need it, a simpler jungle layout, and comebacks are actually possible. I've put about 32 hours into DotA 2 IIRC, and I've never seen a team that was losing past the 10 minute mark make a comeback. In LoL, admittedly which I've put probably 50x that amount of time (at least) into, comebacks aren't uncommon.

Additionally, I prefer the graphics style of LoL, (but, again, DotA's graphics are by far BETTER), I prefer having more skillshots, I prefer having brush on the map, and I prefer having a DECENT GODDAMN ITEM STORE. SERIOUSLY, THAT'S BY FAR THE WORST THING ABOUT DOTA ASDFGH

*Ahem*

As far as the business model goes, yes DotA is better for the consumer. No doubt about that, although LoL's system is hardly pay to win. More like pay to skip, which is fine IMO. I prefer the skins for LoL too, some of them change animations, voiceovers, spell effects etc, while DotA skins appear to be nothing more than costume changes. The purchasable announcers of DotA ARE funnier, though.

Onto community, both have assholes. Have a bad game, and your team WILL let you know how much they'd like you to just keel over and die, usually of cancer. In League though, it does seem to be tamer for new players, I was being called a 'fucking noob wtf you doing fag' in my very first game, this being before the tutorials were added. I didn't get that until I hit about summoner level 10-ish on LoL.

But this is all, of course, personal opinion, and my summary is this. DotA 2 is probably better, but LoL is more fun. So I'll be sticking to LoL, thank you very much.

Edit: Read the posts since I made this one. Yes, its possible to surrender in LoL after the 20 minute mark with at least a 75% majority agreement from the team. Have a terrible early game in DotA, better buckle up for some misery.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
So i'm a 8 year old dota player who switched to lol like half a year ago since the games are shorter and more relaxing.

That said i'm reading these posts and i'm baffled with all the false info. First of all the argument that dota heroes are OP, did any of you actually play dota for more than 10 games? Because nothing feels OP in dota atleast for me, while in league you have stuff like kassadin, fizz, corki with tri force, cait the unstoppable lane monster which feels far more OP than anything in dota.

Anyways LOL is much easier, kinda fun to play since you can relax and don't have to monitor 20 things at the same time. The speels feel weak tho, i mean you can spam spells 24/7 but they really don't feel like they have an impact. I still don't understand the point of masteries and runes, kinda dumb. It's still super fun to play and you have champs like vayne which are highly rewarding if you master them.
As for dota, it has a high learning curve, like really high. It will punish you, it will murder your parents in front of you but the feel once you get the hang of it is great. It is a highly rewarding game but you have to put a lot of hours and out of game knowledge. Plus almost all of the spells are great, srsly the most fun spell in LOL can't even compare to a silly spell like phase shift, i won't even mention invoker he would probably twist your panties in a bunch.

How i mostly feel about the lol vs dota debate, in lol you just blow stuff up by pressing QWER as fast as you can, while in dota you use your spells effectively to land auto attacks to secure the kill.

Cracker3011

May 7, 2009
Yosharian said:
Dota 2 has more complex game mechanics than LoL, which can make it more intimidating to the new player. Things like warding, denying, creep pulling, etc just do not exist in LoL, making it the easier game to pick up. Dota 2 can be more rewarding to play if you master these techniques, if you like it's a bit like chess vs checkers, both are good games but chess is more rewarding. Dota 2 also has a lot of 'hidden' mechanics that must be learned to become an expert at the game (for example creep spawning boxes).
Sorry to be nitpicky, but warding is a thing in LoL. All other points are valid. I'll be sticking to my nooblord LoL though. If I'm not finding DotA 2 fun after 32 hours, I think there's a problem.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
Cracker3011 said:
Yosharian said:
Dota 2 has more complex game mechanics than LoL, which can make it more intimidating to the new player. Things like warding, denying, creep pulling, etc just do not exist in LoL, making it the easier game to pick up. Dota 2 can be more rewarding to play if you master these techniques, if you like it's a bit like chess vs checkers, both are good games but chess is more rewarding. Dota 2 also has a lot of 'hidden' mechanics that must be learned to become an expert at the game (for example creep spawning boxes).
Sorry to be nitpicky, but warding is a thing in LoL. All other points are valid. I'll be sticking to my nooblord LoL though. If I'm not finding DotA 2 fun after 32 hours, I think there's a problem.
Don't get defensive, most of the normal dota players understand the appeal of LOL, i mean i've been playing dota for 8 years and now i cba to switch back from LOL. But we have to be frank here, dota is far more complex in almost every way possible. That said, lol is great fun :)

Syzygy23

Sep 20, 2010
What about the other, non-isometric mobas out there? Like Smite and Super Monday night Combat? The idea of mobas always interested me, but I can't stand the control scheme for the isometric ones.

iwinatlife

Aug 21, 2008
Zepherus14 said:
Here's my logic in this subject.

Does DOTA2 have a giant sentient Armadillo? No... [footnote]Actually I have no idea, if it does then wow, someone copied someone here. The world just isn't big enough for two giant sentient armadillos...[/footnote]

Does LoL have a giant sentient Armadillo? Yes!

Thus LoL is the better game![footnote]Honestly I've only ever played LoL. I'm not hardcore enough to want to try to switch over since LoL fills my need for MOBAs with the limited time I do have. Thus I have no say on which is better than the other, other than I enjoy LoL for its giant sentient armadillo killing machine. Who is Rammus. Who is awesome :p[/footnote]
Well that does make the thread because Rammus is the best sentient armadillo. even if DOTA2 had one I think it would only be...ok.

Mitzeh

Dec 26, 2009
Yosharian said:
Cracker3011 said:
Yosharian said:
Warding is more important and more complicated in Dota
Why? Ward battling is pretty much all supports do in LoL besides team fights after the laning phase is over, since they don't farm. Even in the laning phase they do it. And the other lanes all ward as well. Why would it be more complicated in DotA? You have normal wards, you have wards that see stealthed things(like other wards) and and elixir which allows you to see stealthed things(like wards), as well as a 60 second ward if you take it from the mastery tree. In what way is this easier than DotA's warding? Wards make or break games in higher-ranked games. Yeah, when you start the game and even when you reach level 30 and are playing ranked games in really low divisions warding doesn't mean much because people have really poor map awareness and they rarely see enemies even if they walk through a ward's vision range. But when playing at a higher skill level wards are extremely important and vision is not an easy thing to accomplish, and the supports that manage it are ,sadly, not recognized enough by their team.

Joccaren

Elite Member
Mar 29, 2011
I have personally only played DotA, both WC3 and 2, but I have many friends who play both.

For a noob player, LoL will be easier.
In LoL you apparently have faster attack animations. This makes it easier to last-hit creeps and get gold, whereas in DotA you need to know your character's attack speed, and time it right to get the last hit. I've had friends talk about "Only" getting 60 last hits in the first 8 minutes, whilst in DotA that is counted as phenomenal. This is also because denying is that much easier if you attack slightly faster than your opponent, as in a battle of the animations you'll always win.
Then the creeps are apparently pushovers. You can stand there and tank them if you want at relatively low levels [From what I've been told]. In DotA, this is a bad idea. You try to tank creeps below lvl 12, and you're asking to be ganked. Even lvl 12-16 your still putting yourself at risk.
Abilities in LoL I'm told have relatively low cooldowns and mana costs. There are a number of heroes with 'innate' abilities that you can just spam, and use in place of your autoattack that's how cheap they are. In DotA, no. Early game you'll be lucky to get 4 spells off in a row without running out of mana. Late game it isn't as much of a problem, but you've got to worry about cooldowns and the fact that each spell will use at least 1/6 of your mana most of the time. Spamming spells is not an option.
On the flipside, DotA has fewer "Skillshots" than LoL, where the player aims in a direction, fires the skill, and it flies in the direction and hits stuff on the way. Most stuff in DotA is targeted, and will home to its target.
My friend who for some reason always plays support, despite being a pro AD Carry, prefers support in DotA. In LoL he complains that the ults are too weak, and not all that useful. They're decent, but the ults for support in DotA blow them out of the water. Witch Doctor as an example, with his ward of death that perfectly combos with his bouncing stun grenade.

I'm not sure what systems LoL has, however DotA has a ranked build tutor. You select the tool and it will show you the top ranked builds for your character. Select a build, and it will tell you which abilities to get in which order, change the ability description to one of when you should use them, tell you your starting items, early items, core items, late game items, situational items and anything else to help you on your way.
The community on DotA, thus far, has been quite good. I play the Australian servers 'cause, conveniently enough, I'm an Aussie, and most of the time the worst thing I've come across is someone who has no idea how to play [To the extent of not using any of their abilities and merely autoattacking creeps all game until my friend and I just started telling him what to cast, where and when. "E, me, now" - ect. There was one bunch who weren't gracious victors, however we kicked their ass next round so... yeah.

One thing that DotA has that makes the game though... The SHOPKEEPERS QUIZ. Seriously. You'll rage when you get let into a game in DotA. You'll have wanted the search to have kept searching so you could play more shopkeepers. Shopkeepers is the game, the MobA side is just there as training to learn all the items. Once you do, you will get beyond godlike sprees in the shopkeeper quiz.
No, seriously, that thing is amazing. For no reason at all it is possibly the single most entertaining thing I've played recently, even if it is only selecting which items make up a recipe.

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
BloatedGuppy said:
DOTA characters have turn speeds. LoL characters do not, they snap instantly. 9 times out of 10 when a LoL player complains about DOTA characters feeling "sluggish" it's because they're struggling to adapt to the existence of turn speed.
Yea, basically. I strongly hate slow turning circles, just generally in any game. GTAV is also guilty of this, and it's why SR4 and Warframe are such a dream to play.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
I think they too different in terms of mechanics to be compared, while at the core they the same as a genre, I think LoL and Dota bring different strategies to the table. However my preferred one of the two is LoL for the probably the most important aspect of a Moba, I simply prefer the characters and the design of them.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Pandalink said:
While Dota may be the "deeper game" due to its extra complexities, that makes it far less accessible.
I`m going to have to disagree with this for two reasons. First, while the skill ceiling may be higher in Dota 2, it`s no harder a game to pick up and start playing than LoL. And it doesn't take very long to get the hang of the basics and start playing a lot of characters at least somewhat competently.

Second, and this is the most important bit, no game that locks 90+ percent of its characters behind a paid barrier will ever be as accessible as a game that makes everything available up front. You can argue doing so makes initial character selection more difficult, but it's bull. It takes no real effort to pick one and stick with it to learn the basics, then branch out. And it's unbelievably easy to search for characters who specialize in the sort of play styles you learn that you enjoy. And you won't pay a dime and risk wasting money trying new characters. That is key. Any game that requires you to pay absurd amounts of money, or do absurd amounts of grinding in order to find the best character for you is the exact opposite of accessible.

DazZ.

Elite Member
Jun 4, 2009
Mitzeh said:
Yosharian said:
Warding is more important and more complicated in Dota
Why?
Because wards block jungle camps from spawning, so to stop tri lanes, or even duo lanes from stacking the hard camp to pull the lane back you can aggressively ward it so it can't spawn forcing everyone on the lane to share xp. There are other things like stock timers where you can't buy as many wards as you an afford as they go out of stock for a while and vision gets a bit more complicated with the height of cliffs and whatnot but the main reason it's more complicated is because it's factored heavily into jungling and countering defensive trilaning.

More important is arguable, as they're needed in every game of both games, but it gets more complicated when you need to prioritise with your team where they go as they can't be everywhere along with jungle blocking.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
I have never played LoL, but I can easy sell any crap DOTA 2 gives me on the steam market to increase my steam wallet so I think I'll go with that.

5ilver

Aug 25, 2010
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
5ilver said:
freaper said:
If you're gonna play both, start with DotA.
Seconding this. You can immediately test out all the heroes in Dota and you'll have the exact same stats and a similar experience to everyone else.

With league, you have to grind for 500+ games to get a few rune pages and some of the heroes (<20%). The game plays *very* differently with just the free champions and no rune pages (as an example, jungling is nigh-on impossible), not to mention ranked play is completely locked off.
BS. Sorry, total BS. I have 80% of the champs, and I've only played 430 games. Though I play a lot more ARAM than anything else these days.
I've spent over 2.5 years, played over 2000 games and have 60% of the champions and 5 rune pages (+about 30% of the total runes). Can provide pics if necessary.

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I play and support LoL, however, have you considered signing up for the Infinite Crisis beta? It's a DC Multiverse MOBA, and definitely looks worth a try.

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
They are totally different kinds of MOBA...
Dota's heroes and items are much more specialized. Some heroes only got 1 active ability compared to the color clusterfuck team fights of LoL.

Personally I prefer dota. Mainly because I have hard time looking at the art style of LoL and I am REFUSE to pay for heroes in competitive game!

When I have all heroes to choose from regardless what my level is or who my team-mates are gives much mroe flexibility.

But I have to admit, in DotA you need to learn shit ton of things, basic mechanics that would give even the most jaded mathematician a flowchart orgasm. There are lot of things and I got 600+ hours in the game (online - not counting bot practice and all sort of playing done while servers been offline or I been offline) and I still need to learn new things every match and every patch.

Try both of them out and see which you like more.
There is no objective answer to this.