DOTA

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
AWAR said:
No, just no..
You see the actual average players play Dota.
It's the impatient people who are not willing to invest time in the game that uninstall it after their first loss.
Unless you're making a joke as well, I think you missed it.

OT: I hope Erin has a good internet connection with an uncapped bandwidth. I certainly wouldn't do that daily, it takes my internet an hour just to download one gigabyte.

Corven

Forever Gonzo
Sep 10, 2008
The only thing I took away from this is that erin uses VGA inputs on her monitor for some reason.

Malbourne

Ari!
Sep 4, 2013
She's the paragon of self-control! Personally, I'm too scared to venture into the quagmire of DOTA without a friend to lean on. And blame for mis-plays.

Magnethead

Feb 1, 2011
I'm glad it wasn't just me then. I was quite enjoying DOTA2, working my way through the off-line tutorials and BOT games. Then I had to play on-line against other players. After several supposedly noob-friendly matches, mostly filled with obviously experienced players telling me to fuck off and die for not being an expert already, I uninstalled it too.

That is one gaming community with a LOT of rage.

Bindal

May 14, 2012
Similar experience here.
1 - installed
2 - played ONE Match
3 - was bored to hell, didn't know what to do (because the game sure as heck doesn't give ANY tutorial worth it)
4 - uninstalled, never looked back

And considering the average attidude of the community in the entire GENRE (where "play to win" is more important than "play for fun", where you get literally kicked out when you don't do exactly what you're told to because 'that's needed right now' even if you have way more fun doing something else), I am glad that I never want to play this kind of game ever in my life.

Mr.Pandah

Pandah Extremist
Jul 20, 2008
To each their own. It's one of the best gaming experiences I've ever had, hands down.

scott91575

Jun 8, 2009
The only piece of advice I can give to someone is don't start out actually playing the game. I know, I know, sounds stupid. Yet if you spend a little time either reading guides like Purge's "Welcome to Dota, You Suck," watching youtube tutorials, or watching some pro games it will be way more fun the first time you pick up the game (you should also play against bots the first few times instead of just jumping into a game). Either that or make sure you only play with friends when you first start. If you just jump into a game without knowing much about it, well, you are gonna have a bad time. There are some minor tutorials now in game, but they only help a little.

It can be one of the best games you have ever played, but the learning curve is massive and yes, the community can be toxic. If you are not patient and have a thick skin or lots of friends that also play, then the game is not for you.

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
ThyNameIsMud said:
Whoa, is that a VGA cable? Is she a cave woman or something?
I was about to say the same thing - I mean, she even went and got this [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comics/critical-miss/10233-PC-Gamer-Master-Card], and she's still using that old port?

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
She must have been fighting a Viper.

I swear, If I had a penny every time Viper has done something dickish to me, I could buy Gabe Newell for a whole night.

It should be some sort of gamer-relationship baptism of fire: If you can still be in love after 3 hours of DOTA2, then you deserve it all.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
ThyNameIsMud said:
Whoa, is that a VGA cable? Is she a cave woman or something?
I use one and I'm no caveman.

OT: Never played DOTA, just not my kind of thing. Didn't even know what it was till yesterday.

RandV80

Oct 1, 2009
I've only ever played a 'DOTA' game briefly, the early version that came out for Starcraft 2. It was okay, but not something I could ever really get that into. However with this constant talk about how toxic the community is and how hard they are on newbs I almost want to install it just to troll people.

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
scott91575 said:
The only piece of advice I can give to someone is don't start out actually playing the game. I know, I know, sounds stupid. Yet if you spend a little time either reading guides like Purge's "Welcome to Dota, You Suck," watching youtube tutorials, or watching some pro games it will be way more fun the first time you pick up the game (you should also play against bots the first few times instead of just jumping into a game). Either that or make sure you only play with friends when you first start. If you just jump into a game without knowing much about it, well, you are gonna have a bad time. There are some minor tutorials now in game, but they only help a little.

It can be one of the best games you have ever played, but the learning curve is massive and yes, the community can be toxic. If you are not patient and have a thick skin or lots of friends that also play, then the game is not for you.
That's the same advice that I've heard others say about learning DOTA. I play LoL, myself, and that community is toxic enough, even with the whole Tribunal thing going (though it has gotten a little better, at least to me). I will say one of the best pieces of advice I read in one of those very guides you mention, which I instantly applied to my playing in LoL, is that the very first time someone starts insulting you, calling you "noob" and whatever else, don't bother arguing back with them; just put them immediately on ignore and get on with enjoying the game. Following this advice has made my game experience in LoL much, much more relaxing and enjoyable (even though I still accumulate losses).

As far as I know, and I admit I could be quite wrong on this point, DOTA doesn't have quite the same behavioral enforcement that LoL has developed. LoL's community is about as toxic as I can stand, and it has behavioral enforcement (although I will never play a ranked game because of the expected toxicity, based on the progression of it from bots to blind pick PvP). So, I've mostly stayed away from DOTA for fear of having to deal with a level of toxicity that would just completely rob the game of any sense of fun. I will admit, I feel I may be doing myself a slight disservice, because the gameplay in DOTA looks to be far deeper than LoL's.

However, I will have to say that I don't care how thick a skin you have; unless you're an unfeeling, uncaring husk (or a robot), getting yelled at constantly for even the slightest error is a soul-syphoning experience that robs the game of any and all fun.

To be honest, I've never understood the extreme rage factor that develops in MOBAs. I've seen rage in MMO PvP before, but it was usually almost comical in its nature. But the rage I've experienced directed at me, and others, in LoL was just vicious and malicious. I had a guy actually make a death-threat against me, at one point. I've never had that in MMO PvP. I know I'm not the best player, but that kind of thing is just uncalled for on any level, in my opinion.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
So, besides having a rather caustic community, it's incredibly unforgiving?

The more I see about DOTA, the less I want to play it...

teebeeohh

Jun 17, 2009
Maiev Shadowsong said:
I've never understood how anyone can have trouble with Dota. The game is exceptionally straight forward. Read the description of the roles. Have a look at all the heroes. Play the extensive tutorial that teaches you ever phase of the game. Play against bots. Play against bots with people. Play a real game. Work out if it's best to 2 1 2, 3 1 1 or 0 1 3 + jungle. Communicate. Press buttons.

• 1 Hard Carry
    1 Semi-Carry
    1 Utility (varies depending on team makeups)
    1 Support
    1 Hard Support

Where do people have problems? Do they just dive into a game with no idea what anything is? You can't be having shit teams more than the enemy - rule of averages. The low skill brackets are also super easy to tear up; just pick Riki, SB, Husk or Drow, etc., and roll the enemy until it stops working. Welcome to mid tier bracket. Don't be an idiot. Understand the roles. Welcome to high tier bracket. Now it's challenging.

I think people must assume they can just pick any hero they like the look of and do anything they want. Rambo, one man army, "I do whatever I want" tactics don't work in multiplayer strategy games.
this
people expect to just walk into a pub without any knowledge and not suck. which is bullshit, you always suck but if you play cod the one guy on your team who is really good can make up for that.
personally i also rarely have problems with the people, the game has a mute button for a reason.

just don't play meepo

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
KaosuHamoni said:
Daystar Clarion said:
She didn't play Crystal Maiden did she...

[HEADING=1]swiftest hero there is![/HEADING]

I <3 CM

Windrunner would like a word...
Psh. The "update 6.79" version of Blood Seeker would like a word with both of you.

;D