DOTA

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Vigormortis said:
Zachary Amaranth said:
I honestly don't get it. Given how toxic the community for MOBAs is considered to be, maybe that's for the best.
Like I'd said in my previous post, the Dota 2 community is no where near as "toxic" as many claim. In fact, most of the people I've heard assert as much often either don't play the game at all or played one or two matches, ran into an abrasive player, and then generalized the entire community as being like that player.

If anything, games like Call of Duty breed far more toxic communities.

And that's not some blind assertion. Just look up a collection of Call of Duty and Dota 2 tournament videos. Then, just observe the behaviors of the players in a given match.

There is a much greater chance of you seeing the Call of Duty players jumping around, slamming controllers, screaming, cursing, and just generally acting out of control than the chance you'll see the Dota 2 players acting the same.
See, I have to disagree with this a bit. I played a ton of LoL and a significant amount of DOTA2 and the thing that gets me about the communities that surround both DOTA2 and LoL is that they are VERY toxic. Now what I mean by toxic is that they go beyond just being abrasive and start to actually interfere with your ability to enjoy and even play the games. The constant threat of being reported for "feeding" when someone is simply new and doesn't understand a lot about the game is a very toxic environment. And these threats are hardly rare. The constant barrage of abuse is one thing, the out and out accusations of purposefully tanking matches followed by several players reporting you for abuse is asinine and goes beyond even the juvenile antics found in COD.

People don't like losing, and I understand that, but the way they react to even someone being somewhat sub-par is freaking ridiculous. While I always tried to be as inclusive and understanding as possible with new players, I was in a tiny minority. I've been in fistfights that I found more enjoyable than some matches of DOTA2 and LoL that I played.

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
This is weird, I keep hearing about DOTA so many times, I forgot what that acronym stands for. I just hope its worth playing.

themilo504

May 9, 2010
I myself don?t seem to have any problem playing moba games, maybe I?m just lucky since I generally seem to end up in decent teams with some rare exceptions.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
AWAR said:
shrekfan246 said:
AWAR said:
No, just no..
You see the actual average players play Dota.
It's the impatient people who are not willing to invest time in the game that uninstall it after their first loss.
Unless you're making a joke as well, I think you missed it.
No, I'm serious
Right now there are 476.000 people currently playing that game. It's always the number 1 most played game on steam so I don't really think the "average Dota player" uninstalls it after their first game :)
The joke...

Is that it's not the first game, but rather a daily occurrence of installing the game, playing, raging at it, uninstalling it, and then doing the entire thing over again the next day because that's the nature of MOBAs.

Hence, "a day in the life of the average DOTA player".

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
Vigormortis said:
If you're not into the genre, that's fine. I can appreciate that.

I'm just trying to tell you that it is a good game. One that can be both incredibly fun and rewarding if given the chance. And, it's really not that hard to get into.
This is going to sound mean-spirited, but i'll just put it bluntly: Stop trying to tell me it's a good game. I already made my mind up, so you're just wasting your time. It's good that you like it, but I don't. It didn't convince me then and you won't convince me now.

RookwoodX

May 15, 2011
I mean it only takes 50 hours or so before you're not completely terrible at the game. You just gotta stick with it. :p

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Hmmmmm, apparently Erin never watched this video:

The game seems pretty easy to me. :3

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Gorrath said:
See, I have to disagree with this a bit. I played a ton of LoL and a significant amount of DOTA2 and the thing that gets me about the communities that surround both DOTA2 and LoL is that they are VERY toxic. Now what I mean by toxic is that they go beyond just being abrasive and start to actually interfere with your ability to enjoy and even play the games. The constant threat of being reported for "feeding" when someone is simply new and doesn't understand a lot about the game is a very toxic environment. And these threats are hardly rare. The constant barrage of abuse is one thing, the out and out accusations of purposefully tanking matches followed by several players reporting you for abuse is asinine and goes beyond even the juvenile antics found in COD.

People don't like losing, and I understand that, but the way they react to even someone being somewhat sub-par is freaking ridiculous. While I always tried to be as inclusive and understanding as possible with new players, I was in a tiny minority. I've been in fistfights that I found more enjoyable than some matches of DOTA2 and LoL that I played.
Maybe I and those I know are in a minority when it comes to Dota players, but much of the behavior you've described rarely occurs in our matches.

Unless, as I'd said in another post, you're stuck in the low-priority match-making pool. This is usually the only time I've seen that kind of behavior. But then, most of the people that get stuck in the low-priority pool are there because they're not exactly the shining-beacons of good sportsmanship.

It might also be an occasion of most of us only playing when we can get a few together in a party. Many of us rarely, if ever, solo-queue.
:/

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
Maiev Shadowsong said:
The healing effect of the boots is just a bonus. The much needed armour and huge speed boost is the draw. Dewarding and moving between ganks as your standard supports (Bane, CM, Rubik, etc.) is so much easier with the new boots.

The cooldown period is a non-issue. If you're attacking, you shouldn't be on the receiving end of attacks, so no amount of cooldown matters; if you are trying to 1 v 1, you're playing support wrong; if you're being targeted in a team fight, your carry isn't, so it's a win.

TPs cost a lot of gold for a support. Walking to fountain is a long period of time you're not doing your job. The regen is often enough to keep you from having to go back. Tangos aren't cheap either and (unless they have a NP) you want them out of your inventory as soon as possible. Boots you keep for the entire game.

To me, the boots do exactly what they need to, without being open to abuse or too well rounded. They have their place and nothing more. The boot selections aren't perfect, but they are going a ways towards giving each pair a use and a role. Most of all, I am so glad Axe can't spam ring and keep his damn BH up nonstop lol.
Don't get me wrong. I absolutely agree the old boots were exploitable by the likes of Axe and others. I'm glad they nerfed them in that regard.

However, I still feel like the new version is too limiting. I can appreciate making them more specific in terms of the niche role they fill, but I feel like they inadvertently made them useless on support heroes that would ordinarily have relied on them. Thus, by proxy, making those supports less effective.

I suppose I won't be as bothered once I've sussed out a new meta for item builds for the supports I'd normally get boots on. Even so, I'm still of the opinion that they made them too "niche".

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
Vigormortis said:
Gorrath said:

Maybe I and those I know are in a minority when it comes to Dota players, but much of the behavior you've described rarely occurs in our matches.

Unless, as I'd said in another post, you're stuck in the low-priority match-making pool. This is usually the only time I've seen that kind of behavior. But then, most of the people that get stuck in the low-priority pool are there because they're not exactly the shining-beacons of good sportsmanship.

It might also be an occasion of most of us only playing when we can get a few together in a party. Many of us rarely, if ever, solo-queue.
:/
Well I've no way to prove my good sportsmanship, all I can do is offer my word that I am enthusiastically friendly, especially when people are new and have trouble, and this is with all the games I play. Not that I expect you'll take my word on it. I have no friends who play DOTA2 much so I am always solo. I've had matches with good players as well of course, those who are understanding and helpful. I am speaking in mere generalities when it comes to my experiences as a whole, which I would never claim trump your own. I would say though that I am not the only person to have found quite a lot of vitriol and hate in the MOBA community though, and I don't think its rather bad reputation is an unearned one. I am glad you've got friends to play with though, as I do find the actual game itself quite fun and engaging!

Supdupadog

Feb 23, 2010
blackrave said:
All I got from this comic: DOTA2 is bad?
It's not a bad game.

It's just not very accessible and filled with idiosyncrasies and a breaking in period that lasts awhile even with coaching.

Which wouldn't be a big problem if it didn't also have a community that will absolutely get in your grill for not knowing those idiosyncrasies. Even in bot games.

And don't think it gets better if you make it out of the breaking period. My BF actually knows how to play the game decent and PvP matches will just leave him fuming from the people.

And don't ever mention if you came from/play League of Legends. Just so much animosity with the community on that.

Neonit

Dec 24, 2008
huh? I guess either the entire internet has some anger issues, or im some kind of peacefulness guru.

you just need to ignore the idiots, and move on. i dont get why people get so easily angry....

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
Grach said:
Except it still sounds very hard to get into, nevermind me being not into MOBAs in general. Again, no thank you.
The comic is entirely accurate. I played LoL at the lowest level (weakest bots) and was not terrible (merely mediocre to poor) at the game and was frequently insulted as if I had screwed up at a high-level tournament. It's completely out of hand.

james.sponge

Mar 4, 2013
RJ 17 said:
Hmmmmm, apparently Erin never watched this video:

The game seems pretty easy to me. :3
It's not as easy now, Huskar can't use his orb attack while ghosted :(

Ded gaem VOLVO disband!

Also I'd include this guide as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLOlGkipXyU

Lyri

Dec 8, 2008
Grey Carter said:
DOTA

A day in the life of the average DOTA 2 player.

Read Full Article
You could always join the Official DotA2 user group [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/groups/view/DotA-2] of the Escapist and vent about it ;D.

I play DotA a lot, I love the game but I understand that there are tonnes of frustrations that people will deal with. It can be hard to overcome the difficult intro into the game.