Dragon Age 2 Packs 103 Minutes of Cutscenes

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
Dragon Age 2 Packs 103 Minutes of Cutscenes

Players will spend at least 103 minutes of the upcoming Dragon Age 2 not actually playing the game.

If there is one thing that Edmonton-based BioWare is known for, it's the strong writing in its popular RPGs. BioWare's games might not be the most original out there when it comes to story and characters, but said story and characters are almost always skillfully executed. A well-told, interesting yarn is something that gamers have come to expect from games like Dragon Age 2 - and that story will be communicated (at least in part) by a feature film's worth of cutscenes.

According to the BBFC rating [http://www.bbfc.co.uk/website/Classified.nsf/ClassifiedWorks/73CC04A33B1B6FED80257823002D391A] of the anticipated RPG (the game gets an 18+ rating thanks to its violence, natch), the "linear elements within the work" - also known as cutscenes - possess a running time of 103 minutes flat.

This is, as previously mentioned, the length of an average feature film that you might see in theaters. Just because it's interesting - and timely - let's compare that to some of the True Grit [http://www.imdb.com/features/oscars/2011/nominations] (110 min).

Now, this isn't a bad thing! There are many gamers who really enjoy watching a well-crafted cutscene that advances the plot - not everything needs to be interactive. For every gamer rolling their eyes at the idea of a game packing over a hundred minutes of cutscenes, there's another whose interest is all the more piqued because of it.

Besides, 103 minutes is what, a long Metal Gear Solid cutscene?

(Eurogamer [http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-01-25-dragon-age-2-has-103-mins-of-cutscenes])

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Or half of a Xenosaga cutscene. 103 minutes, spread out over what is expected to be at least a 40 hour game is hardly a lot of time. And the way they're doing the narrative, I expect some of it to be flashy stories told about awesome things.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
Well, given the conversations in games like Mass Effect are essentially interactive cutscenes at this point (something I very much approve of), 103 minutes is hardly too much to ask. Mass Effect 2's cutscenes and dialogue segments adds up to something around 12+ HOURS.

unclediddles

Jul 26, 2010
I agree, considering my last game of DA:O was 60 hours I don't think 103 mins is going to be that bad. I'm really looking forward to DA 2.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
That's a lot of cutscenes, I don't think any other Bioware game had that much cutscenes, not even Mass Effect, if we count the conversations as part of the actual game and not cutscenes.

MrSnugglesworth

Into the Wild Green Snuggle
Jan 15, 2009
I am so hype for this game. I seriously hope your previous DA:O plays a bigish role in the game, even if you're dead.

Forgive me if they've already covered that, but I have enacted a media blackout on DA:2 because I want the game to completely blow my mind when I first play it.

OT: Bring it. I love well executed Cutscenes.

Cursed Frogurt

Aug 17, 2010
For a Bioware game that does sound like a lot, but hopefully that includes in-game dialogue (without skipping and without waiting to respond)

OH GOD I'm pretty sure around the half-way point of MGS4 there's a 2 hour gap in gameplay (the cutscene that starts with Ocelot stabbing Snake with the electric knife).

MGS4 reminded me why I love Half-Life2.

SomebodyNowhere

Dec 9, 2009
if the game is even half as long as the first one the cut scenes will just be a small fraction of the game as a whole

Reveras

Nov 9, 2009
I'm happy about this. I love well told stories and even more well made cutscenes. Also John you win +3 internets for bashing the drool fest.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Also, AFAIK the BBFC handed out an 18 for the first Dragon Age, largely for the same reasons.

theriddlen

Apr 6, 2010
103 minutes?

There will be over 2 hours of cutscenes in Witcher 2.

Forget about DA, preorder REEL games!

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
well unlike JRPGs and Japanese games in general, at least these cutscenes will make sense and be well-done in terms of story.and hopefully no crazy-haired angsty tweenagers messing it up :p

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Considering that most RPGs I know have a good 2-3 hours of cutscenes, something that's under 2 hours is a welcome change.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
Yea. That doesn't worry me too much.
How much time will I spend in conversations?
DAO talked more than my wife... I couldn't even finish it.

teutonicman

Mar 30, 2009
I am unsure about this. I don't want to be sitting around for 10+ minutes watching an in game movie. I'm playing this game for the interactive experience.

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
MrSnugglesworth said:
I am so hype for this game. I seriously hope your previous DA:O plays a bigish role in the game, even if you're dead.

Forgive me if they've already covered that, but I have enacted a media blackout on DA:2 because I want the game to completely blow my mind when I first play it.

OT: Bring it. I love well executed Cutscenes.
I am checking the website most days just hoping for more news... (Did you pick up the two in game items from the site?)

OT: In a world with Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots I think 103 mins isn't stretching things.