Dragon Age 3 May Be BioWare's Biggest Game Yet

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
I think a single town in Skyrim (counting building interiors) takes up more space than the whole of DA:2 map... I will reserve judgement until after the games release.

klaynexas3

My shoes hurt
Dec 30, 2009
RyQ_TMC said:
Legion said:
Chances are, the idea of a Templar vs Mages storyline was the original idea for Dragon Age, but they put it on hold and went with the Blight for the main campaign.
My thoughts exactly. Although I don't expect to like the way it's headed. In Origins, the conflict was morally ambiguous. The Templars used morally questionable means to control the Mages, but you could argue those were necessary considering all the demonic possessions and blood magic.

Then in DA2 we've seen a sudden shift towards "corrupt Templars vs innocent Mages" and only in the endgame you could see that it wasn't as clear-cut as that. And even then, the Mages were portrayed as more sympathetic.

And now the third game has a subtitle Inquisition. Taken from a historical institution which has been so thoroughly flanderized in popular perception that it just screams "This game will be about overthrowing/reforming the Chantry so they will stop oppressing the poor Mages".

Maybe I'm too pessimistic with my expectations.
I think I have a feeling of how it will all end. Everyone starts to trust the mages more so, but then one mage becomes possessed by one demon that is basically the Satan of their world. They manage to kill it, but it will leave sort of a cliff hanger type ending on whether or not they go back to old ways, become stricter on mage laws, straight up kill them all, or(basically the Shepherd living ending) the mages are allowed to practice magic without the strict control due to something you found out that cuts mages off from being so connected to the Fade that they can be possessed. That's just what I think will happen anyway, and hell, I'll still buy it, because despite popular opinion, I still like Bioware games.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
My only problem is; Origin.

If it's turns out to be an Origin exclusive on PC then I'll not touch it until it becomes cheaper on the consoles.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
Well, we'll see. I'll wait for the reviews on this one first after DA2.

Even if you loved the story, the content copypasta was unforgivable.

Terrible Opinions

Sep 11, 2011
Eh... while I recognized that the repeated environments were Bad and Stupid and Should Not Have Been, they didn't really bother me. Like, it was stupid, but I didn't really care. I can deal with that just fine.

It was the nonsense story and the inconsistent writing and the combat that felt more like passing a stone than anything else and all that other stuff that really brought it down for me.

lancar

Aug 11, 2009
While I've never really disliked any BW game, their overall quality seems to only have gotten more and more stale of late. They still make good games, but never "great" ones anymore. Whatever brilliance might lie within them is always obscured by some glaring fallacy that slaps you in the face with its obviousness.

- Planet Scanning in ME2
- Ending of ME3
- Blatant re-use of areas in DA2 (and lack of story.. seriously, wtf? Bioware.. this is supposed to be your forte!)
- Complete lack of originality in SWTOR's systems (copied WoW, but forgot to include the refinements WoW made over the years thus making all the same mistakes)

..to name a few from the top of my mind.

Now, I'm cautiously optimistic for DA3 as well, mainly because I think the overarching story is pretty good, but I fear it'll be bogged down with another glaring fault and craptonnes of EA male cow excrement like Origin, tacked on MP, and Day1 DLC of cut content.

Mark Hardigan

Apr 5, 2010
I'm crossing my fingers and hoping that they're promises will ring true, like they did with Origins. But given the disappointment that was DA2, I won't be holding my breath.

OManoghue

Dec 12, 2008
I'm willing to pretend that this game isn't going to be terrible. Just because people can learn, and maybe, just maybe it will be as good or better than DAO.

Jinjer

Jun 16, 2012
We'll just have to see, won't we? One thing's for sure though - if I can't play as an elven hottie but only as a boring ass human, I'm outta here. Sorry Bioware, but in a roleplaying game I want to fucking roleplay. If the setting has multiple races/species/whatever, you better damn well let us play as them.

Aetrion

May 19, 2012
If they released another game of the same quality as Dragon Age 2 I'd buy it. I found the smaller scope of the story more entertaining than the tired old save the whole world cliche.
I mean, it was a flawed game, and didn't quite live up to expectations, but I was thoroughly entertained nontheless.
What worries me way more is that it's going to be another shitty Origin exclusive. I didn't buy Mass Effect 3 because I refuse to let EA screw me out of my neat Steam collection with their greed. I won't buy DA3 either if they pull that crap again.
Being gainfully employed has the benefit that as the time you have for games becomes too little to play absolutely everything that comes out you get to punch dickish companies in the wallet by not buying their crap.

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
Sorry, no amount of hype will get me truly excited for the game.

I was excited for Dragon Age 2 and was hoping Mass Effect 3 was at least as good for me as 2, and I got disappointed by both. (Not that I didn't like Dragon Age 2, I did, but its flaws pissed me off)

The PR hype machine is starting to chug forward. I'll still be keeping an eye on DA3, but I'm not going to get my hopes up on it. For me it's definitely a "wait for the reviews" game.

Plus the lack of any playable race besides human is a huge letdown. It's a stupid thing to get excited about, but I would've been excited to see a proper return to the Origins character system.

Zburator

Aug 20, 2012
Jinjer said:
We'll just have to see, won't we? One thing's for sure though - if I can't play as an elven hottie but only as a boring ass human, I'm outta here. Sorry Bioware, but in a roleplaying game I want to fucking roleplay. If the setting has multiple races/species/whatever, you better damn well let us play as them.
I believe that 'human-only' has more or less, already been confirmed. [http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/371/index/14604410]

That said, I am always eager for new Bioware RPG. I have been disappointed with a lot of things of late, but the games and story-lines are always enjoyable in the end.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
nikki191 said:
ive been paying attention to whats been said and promised and project eternity still sounds way better
This. After following the P:E Kickstarter and seeing everything planned (God races, George Ziets on writing duties, 13-level mega dungeon, stronghold management, crafting system), DAIII and its "customizable armor is a thing!" spiel are a joke. P:E looks like it will be the true spiritual successor to BGII and Neverwinter Nights.

I can't get excited for this, no matter how hard I try. After getting burned by II, I stopped buying Bioware games. I gave the DA team more credit than most, because they seemed to be apologetic about the end result and wanted to do better. Yet, from everything I've seen, they're still continuing the same party train of "button = awesome" marketing quotes, Day-1 DLC (which they've more or less confirmed on the BSN) and archaic concepts spruced up to make it seem more relevant than it already is. I'll pass on this one.

Mycroft Holmes

Sep 26, 2011
I would say that this is interesting news. But I don't own a console and I am not going to install Origin, probably ever. I suppose it is interesting to see how EA fares and whether or not Bioware collapses.

Nihlus2 said:
...My math is not on the calculative level of some prodigy... but, I am gonna throw this out here and say that. Unless these guys do not plan on releasing this until 2015-2016, and we give them the benefit of saying that they started developing this at the same time as DA2... then ladies and gentlemen, this conversation is being transcribed to us with rose-coloured glasses, so shiny it is not even funny.
They are measuring pre-production not total production. Let's say DAO was hypothetically in production for 6 years, and one of those years was pre-production. Lets say they started work at the start of 2011. If normal production starts right at the beginning of the new year and they release it next December. Then the game would have slightly less than 3 years development time, but the pre-production they were talking about would still be way longer than DAOs. Nothing is being 'transcribed through rose-colored classes.' You simply didn't understand what they were saying.

Also production times are mostly irrelevant, what matters is man-hours total, what is prioritized, and who they have hired. Bioware has been growing a lot and with EA's support they are able to hire a lot more people and thus have more people working on any single project. You can take 6 years working on a game with 50 people, or you can crank out a game in two years with 150 people. Or you can have 300 people all working on the same game for two years and you'll theoretically(depending on who you hired) have a higher quality and better game than the smaller studio working for 6 years. The problem with DA2 wasn't that they didn't spend enough time or have enough people working on it, its that they prioritized the wrong things(They kept talking about how they couldn't work as much on other races and characters, because they had to make female Hawke's butt waggle perfectly as she walked.) and made poor design decisions(a switch away from strategy gameplay to more action based.)

Knight Templar

Moved on
Dec 29, 2007
Hammeroj said:
Knight Templar said:
Hammeroj said:
Drop the hyperbole...
Given your post is nothing but hyperbole I find this statement wonderfully ironic.
It's not.
OK, so.
"Do I hear tears hitting the floor like a fountain?"
"incessant, shrill and unsubstantiated whining"
" corporate-blowjob statement "
" flailing your arms around, yelling."
Are utterly without any exaggeration on your part?

Speaking of irony. "Nothing but hyperbole" was quite a hyperbolic statement, wasn't it?
No because I meant it to be taken literally.
That is however a mistake of mine, such a statement is incorrect and I apologise for it. I should say your post contains just as much hyperbole as that to which you respond, as I see it.