Dragon Age: Inquisition to Have 40 Different Endings - Update

Therumancer

Citation Needed
Nov 28, 2007
I am not particularly excited. Most of this sounds good, but at the same time Bioware always makes it's products sound good, and we're in a position where they have outright lied to customers before, and even released "behind the scenes" apps for games like "Mass Effect 3" that make it clear they knew exactly what they were doing. Given the lack of doing a new, proper, Mass Effect 3 ending and similar things I can't really say I trust Bioware. I'll be waiting until after this game comes out to see what people are saying (especially about the endings) before I put down any money on it.

To be honest two things in their statement make me wary. They mention not doing the DLC characters due to perceptions of people feeling cheated for being sold things already on the disc. Bioware doesn't actually say "we were wrong, this was a scummy thing to do, and we're not going to do it anymore" they actually say that the people were complaining so they are bowing to pressure even if the people making the complaints were wrong. That shows a kind of warped attitude that makes me war. The second thing that gets me is that they are again making this an "action RPG" as opposed to a true RPG, the first "Dragon Age" was so well received because it was basically a spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate (ie what Baldur's Gate would have been like with then-current technology), people still play the old "Infinity Engine"
games and there are efforts to update and re-launch them going on. A big part of the problem with "Dragon Age 2" was not only that it re-used environments and such, but was turned into something similar to a brawler. One of the things people were mocking was the fact that the loading screens would tell you to use standard "RPG party tactics" like using warriors in front of mages and such, but in the actual game this was impossible because the bad guys would spawn in waves, appearing right in the middle of the party, and some had abilities that let them basically run around the rather open (in many cases) combat areas with complete imputiny. You couldn't say stand a fighter in a place where the bad guys absolutely had to get past him before they could get to the spell casting mage. By trying to keep this as an 'action RPG' series as opposed to a more tactical one, it still shows they really don't know the audience that made the first game successful and are trying to go after what they see as a more profitable sector with the series. Perhaps it will work and be a very good game, but when I look at the disaster they already created, and what had me invested in the series to begin with, it doesn't seem like they are exactly getting things back on track with what people wanted after "Origins".

What's more I have to wonder what exactly they are talking about when they mention this game shipping on 14 discs as an excuse for not having more voice options. To be painfully blunt, games haven't really been shipping on discs for ages, especially for the PC. The disc just connects you to something like "STEAM" where you download it online. What's more consoles themselves increasingly require you to be online, and seem to be moving towards phasing out physical media, with digital distribution available. I'd expect with something like this that Bioware would just focus on making the product "digital only" and do what they need to in order to make the game as high quality as possible. To be honest though I think the bottom line is that voice actors are expensive and hiring some guys to read a couple dozen hours of gameplay dialogue in a recording studio is more than they want to spend. I might receive things a bit better if Bioware kind of just said "hey, we're cheap, it's too expensive" rather than going on about needing 14 bloody discs which just sounds insane.

If it seems like I'm picking on Bioware, it's because I am. They deserve to be picked on, it's their job to win me back, not my job to fawn over them. They created a situation where now I'm going to get on their case and view everything they say in the worst possible light because hey... that's the kind of reputation they've earned.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
The 40 different endings is probably going to be something along the lines of DA1 where you get different slides and voice-over at the end based on your choices. 40 slides could mean 20 major choices...

Or if it's 40 different endings you could just have 6 major yes/no choices with 6 slots and 4 wildcards where you can get bonus slides and VOILA! 40 different endings. :p

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Sounds too good to be true.
Probably is.

Still I'll be paying attention, maybe when it's released if the reviews are good I'll play through the old games and make a definitive save file for one nice fulfilling playthrough.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
By forty different endings, do they mean the smallest of changes will be made from ending 28 and 29? Like a character will die in one, but not in another. Because that doesn't equal a new ending. But every other detail sounds nice. They're getting my attention more and more with every news announcement.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Called it. I knew the Fade was going to break from all the magic, war, and death that this war started. I really hope that the main story chooses to focus on that story, and what comes through the Fade, than the Mage/Templar war.

If this game is only on the PS4, this will be the game that certainly makes me get a PS4 (if I don't have one by then). Looking forward to this even more.

Please don't let there be a trophy for viewing every ending. Should they pull off all forty endings, that's going to take forever.

Sanunes

Mar 18, 2011
The way I am looking at this article is until BioWare themselves say it, I don't trust anything being said. I looked at the BioWare boards and there is another thread "Large Number of Endings" and this quote caught my eye from David Gaider

Insofar as DAI goes, at this point you're unlikely to get any of us to comment on anything which would be taken as a promise or be open to interpretation. So take the information for what it is, until we decide whether we wish to talk about it further.
So that really means to me "believe at your own risk".

Link [http://forum.bioware.com/topic/497884-large-number-of-endings/?bioware=1]

Asun

Your ad here
Oct 21, 2013
As much as I want to believe all this I'm going to wait for the first patches and a price drop. That being said, I'm still quite confident that this is going to be an enjoyable game. But no more pre-orders from me since DA2, sorry BW.

GARforGunman

Dec 12, 2010
40 different endings? No DLC characters? Improved gameplay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm_GPkOfVKI

Oh, Bioware, didn't you get the memo? It's statistically impossible to for you to come back after the triumvirate of disasters that were TOR, DA2 and ME3. You can kick your marketing into overdrive and have your corporate overlords try to shut out any negative press, but that will never erase the truth.

You guys forfeited your artistic integrity the moment joined EA and their corporate philosophy.

I don't find excitement in these details and previews. Just more pandering and buzzwords from a developer that's lost touch with what made them great to begin with.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
40 endings are just complete overkill. I just get the feeling most of them will be very similar. All i want is 3 endings that have impact and close the game. Them saying there are 40 endings just takes the shine off the game for me.

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
thetoddo said:
The 40 different endings is probably going to be something along the lines of DA1 where you get different slides and voice-over at the end based on your choices. 40 slides could mean 20 major choices...

Or if it's 40 different endings you could just have 6 major yes/no choices with 6 slots and 4 wildcards where you can get bonus slides and VOILA! 40 different endings. :p
You hit the nail on the head, that does sound like the most logical way they will do it.

Rangerboy87

Jul 1, 2011
loa said:
So 8 voices would mean "shipping on 14 discs or something"?
Does that mean this game will ship with 7 disks due to 4 voices or is laidlaw just full of shit and if he's full of shit which seems very likely, why would anyone believe the ridiculous claim of 40 endings?
Or he could just be exaggerating as a way of saying the game would be multi-disc if they had 8 or so people repeat the exact same lines. That was how I read it.

OT: I, like others, are going to take the wait-and-see approach for this game. I want to play to continue the saga, but am more that willing to wait for a price drop if its mediocre or just skip it if it's awful. I hope EA and Bioware are aware of this and understand they have to earn back our trust before a lot of us buy their products again.

otakon17

Jun 21, 2010
StormShaun said:
There are many improvements on this list, many that lay some of my worries to rest.
No DLC companions is nice, but I will still worry about some of the DLC they may release.
I'm liking the description of future companions, the amount of areas and endings.

Although I am a bit sceptical about the Inquisitor themselves, I like the sound of another "Origin" prologue, but he or she will have the ability to close the rifts ... this make me ask "how?"
And the dialogue wheel has me a bit worried.

Still, it seems I can lay some worry to rest, but I will still be pretty worried about this game.
It is looking quite fund at the moment though.

... all I want though, is a dual-wielding warrior. :D
I'm calling it now, Inquisitor will be the Maker or related to the Maker in some way.

OT: Jar of bees, the ULTIMATE WEAPON! ProJared should be happy to hear the news.

Alpha Maeko

Uh oh, better get Maeko!
Apr 14, 2010
Two endings will be drastically different from each other. A third ending will be slightly different if not neutral.

[cynical]Then all three of these endings will have 14 insignificant variations like "Bob died, so he's not being thrown into this scene where the group gathers". And they're gonna call that a different ending just cuz of Bob's absense.[/cynical]

Anyway, I'm a hopeless Bioware fan that's really wanting this to be good.

thetoddo

May 18, 2010
GARforGunman said:
40 different endings? No DLC characters? Improved gameplay?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lm_GPkOfVKI

Oh, Bioware, didn't you get the memo? It's statistically impossible to for you to come back after the triumvirate of disasters that were TOR, DA2 and ME3. You can kick your marketing into overdrive and have your corporate overlords try to shut out any negative press, but that will never erase the truth.

You guys forfeited your artistic integrity the moment joined EA and their corporate philosophy.

I don't find excitement in these details and previews. Just more pandering and buzzwords from a developer that's lost touch with what made them great to begin with.
All three of the games you mentioned did quite well saleswise, and at least with ME3 you kind of have to look outside the echo chamber of internet forums, most people who played that game loved it. DA2 was probably the closest thing to a "disaster" they had, but it still made money and that's really the only metric that matters to the publishers.

Bioware isn't the same company it was when it was pretty much the undisputed king of the video game RPG genre, and that has a lot more to do with key talent leaving for other studios than EA coming in. Regardless of this they still have an audience, and a lot of people still follow the name. Heck, I only gave ME1 a second chance because it was Bioware and I was pretty sure there was a good story hiding behind the terrible combat. At this point Bioware is just a name, they don't get my day 1 dollars anymore but if they make a good game I'm not going to let past sub-par performances stop me from trying their product once it's been vetted. The energy people spend on hating on this company baffles me.

capcha: minty fresh (that'd be my cough drop, I've got a hell of a cold. But thanks for noticing)

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
Biowares making it hard to remain skeptical. But I will remain so.

And I sure as hell am not pre-ordering this one.

Rariow

Nov 1, 2011
Well, Mass Effect 3 had "16 different endings", so can't help but be a bit skeptic about that bit. Otherwise, I'm now pretty hyped about this game. Hopefully it's finally a return to form for BioWare.

Dammit, why AM I excited for this thing? I promised myself I'd stop harboring hope if the Old Republic turned out disappointing, which it did, yet just the memories of KotOR and Baldur's Gate keep making me hope that this company's still got it in them to make another game of that level of excellence.

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
at this point are we really going to believe anything BIoware says about anything?

They said Mass Effect 3 would have 16 different endings and it ended up with zero endings.

So far they have a 100% track record for lying about stuff like this.

so... fuck Bioware everyone who works there deserves to die in a fire then burn in hell for all eternity, BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT having a separate dialog wheel for tone and choice does sound magnificent.

To address why the same voices apply to all races, Mike Laidlaw made the following statement: "It's a matter of file size...if we were to have eight voices, two for each race, we would be shipping on 14 discs or something. We figured that with four voices, that would give players enough options while staying within our size limitations
Is DAI going to come out on 7 disks?
That's what they're telling us right... because if 8 voices is 14 disks 4 would be 7, at least 7...
I suppose if 16 endings is actually zero... ummmm no one at Bioware even understands how to count on their fingers fucking wonderful.

Bioware has a tendency to promise us the sun and moon, but all they do is wait for us to look up then piss in our eyes.
Then in a year or two Mass Effect 4 is going to promise 50 "meaningfully different" endings and we're all going to forget about this betrayal just long enough to get a nose full of piss again. DON'T FALL FOR IT!

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Holy crap, I hope they are able to make true on that. I think the most likely outcome that is possible for 40 endings is that those endings offer a slightly different set of dialogue and a different kind of outro (probably in comic form or so).

But still, impressive.

Mikeyfell said:
Is DAI going to come out on 7 disks?
That's what they're telling us right... because if 8 voices is 14 disks 4 would be 7, at least 7...
I suppose if 16 endings is actually zero... ummmm no one at Bioware even understands how to count on their fingers fucking wonderful.

Bioware has a tendency to promise us the sun and moon, but all they do is wait for us to look up then piss in our eyes.
Then in a year or two Mass Effect 4 is going to promise 50 "meaningfully different" endings and we're all going to forget about this betrayal just long enough to get a nose full of piss again. DON'T FALL FOR IT!
Oh wow, here we go with the "betrayal".

Just chill, there's no need to pick apart every hyperbole someone uses to prove a point.

LordDPS

Jun 4, 2010
This is exactly what Bioware shouldn't be doing. I want this game to succeed. I do. I want Bioware to stop disappointing me. But then they go and do shit like this that makes me sigh. This pretty much confirms that we're getting another Mass Effect 3 situation. Even if you try to argue with me about that. At best we're looking at slight variations to 2 or 3 endings.